Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refuel 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really looking forward to going to Laguna Seca this year but apparently the only slot available for novice (or even high novice) drivers is on Friday which would collide with TMC Connect

I just checked and you can still register for both classes as of this post (Beginner/Low Intermediate and Intermediate/Advanced). Are you sure you're looking at the right event? It's Sunday only, not Friday.

To change your profile, click the My Stuff tab on the top, then the My Profile/My Car box on the left.

I just checked and you can still register for both classes as of this post (Beginner/Low Intermediate and Intermediate/Advanced). Are you sure you're looking at the right event? It's Sunday only, not Friday.

To change your profile, click the My Stuff tab on the top, then the My Profile/My Car box on the left.
That allows me to edit the car info, not the driver experience info.

brianman -- be sure to choose the Refuel event for Sunday only, not the 3-day event from Fri-Sun also hosted by Speed Ventures...
Thanks for the heads up. I totally didn't see that for some reason. I guess my brain is already on weekend break.

Update:
I never did figure out how to update my experience information, so I signed up for REFUEL/Sunday/Novice. Probably a good idea anyway since it's my first visit to this track in person (Forza doesn't count).

I ended up emailing and requesting addition to the TT, which I'm told they were able to do. I figure, best case, I get an additional run at the course and parking/charging in between sessions right near the track, worst case I anger a better driver and am out $50. My pregnant wife will probably appreciate not being shuttled back and forth to the campground, in either case.

brianman, you're right, you can't update your experience. I'd guess it's a protection mechanism? As soon as you see your choice restricts the run groups you can select, I'd imagine people would immediately go change it. This way, customer service controls the upgrade in experience. Still, the site isn't the greatest.

I ended up emailing and requesting addition to the TT, which I'm told they were able to do. I figure, best case, I get an additional run at the course and parking/charging in between sessions right near the track, worst case I anger a better driver and am out $50. My pregnant wife will probably appreciate not being shuttled back and forth to the campground, in either case.

brianman, you're right, you can't update your experience. I'd guess it's a protection mechanism? As soon as you see your choice restricts the run groups you can select, I'd imagine people would immediately go change it. This way, customer service controls the upgrade in experience. Still, the site isn't the greatest.
In addition to this being bad UI, the problem that hit me was that the experience levels in the profile are mismatched with the experience levels for the event. I was/am quite comfortable with the 2nd level listed for REFUEL but the 2nd level in the experience profile was a bit out of my comfort zone.

Really looking forward to seeing you all on the track. I'll only be joining in for the parade lap. The track can be a bit punishing - pretty much all Model S hit their front diffusers hard (or atleast sounded like they did) when going down the corkscrew at speed last year - and I don't want to hurt my baby :)

I'm registered in the Intermediate/Advanced group. Says it's point-by passing on straights, which is highly sensible for a lapping event.

I'm skipping a Gentleman's race at Calabogie that I've already paid for (season registration) to come to TMC Connect, so I'm really glad I got in.

A friend is bringing a Model S to the event, and he's promised I can drive it as long as he can ride along! Good thing because I don't think I can get the Model S into my carry-on.

Paid for the helmet rental. Figure it's better than packing a helmet in my luggage. I'd be rather annoyed if they lost/damaged it.

Really looking forward to seeing you all on the track. I'll only be joining in for the parade lap. The track can be a bit punishing - pretty much all Model S hit their front diffusers hard (or atleast sounded like they did) when going down the corkscrew at speed last year - and I don't want to hurt my baby :)
Last year, presumably, they were all on air. With that SW configuration, I doubt it had enough time to raise the suspension back up to normal by the time you hit the bottom of the corkscrew under braking. With the latest SW you can force normal, now, which may solve the issue. Or recruit a passenger to poke High as you approach, hehe. And those of us with coil suspensions may survive due to the extra height (fingers crossed).

Last year, presumably, they were all on air. With that SW configuration, I doubt it had enough time to raise the suspension back up to normal by the time you hit the bottom of the corkscrew under braking. With the latest SW you can force normal, now, which may solve the issue. Or recruit a passenger to poke High as you approach, hehe. And those of us with coil suspensions may survive due to the extra height (fingers crossed).
Somebody please remind us of this on track day. I'm kind of partial to the parts on my car staying on my car and intact. :)

Do you have to clear the car out of all objects, luggage....etc? For those checking out of the hotel we would need a place to store all of this that day.

Also, is the beginner drive simply more of a spirited drive around the track or are people going for best times. Was also wondering if volunteer instructors would be in each car. I did a BMW club drive weekend where they did this and it was really helpful. Passing was only on straightaways and only with lead driving holding their arm out to signal ok to pass.

All of the track days I've been to, you basically have to leave your stuff on the ground in the paddock, where you park. Never had a problem doing this.
Also, it's helpful to bring a container for the stuff (especially when going to rainy NW events). I'll be bringing mine probably, unless I want to risk it due to the generally sunny disposition of CA.

I don't think REFUEL's rules are as stringent as that (with regards to stuff in the car and such). They just need you to don a helmet, that's all.

That said, if anyone has stuff that they really need to secure, my frunk, trunk and footwell are at your disposal.

No instructors that Speed Ventures provide afaik but, they do have briefing sessions before and debriefing sessions after each run that should be helpful. Passing is with the aid of hand gestures if the car behind is consistently faster. Last year, there was some tension between slower Honda Fit EV drivers and faster Model S drivers as the former didn't apparently let the latter pass "soon enough". No aid of any blue flags by marshalls though.

FWIW, we'll be leaving our luggage at the hotel and picking it up after REFUEL ends... My wife and daughter likely won't go to the track, so they'll check out and put stuff in storage for a couple hours while they go do stuff...

Is there any ETA on when we should be done? We'd like to be heading north by ~3:30 or so...

As long as you aren't 'racing' and that means keeping timed laps doesn't your regular auto insurance apply? That's what I was told about 10 years ago when I did a BMW club weekend drive event at least.