Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refuel 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on Lockton's insurance for ReFuel: Note that they WILL NOT cover a car entered in the TT. They cover the HPDE portion, only.

I decided the risk was awfully high for that portion of the event, then, and sent SpeedVentures an email stating I wouldn't be participating in the TT. I don't know if there's a waiting list for that part, but if there is a spot should be opening up. Or if they won't refund, maybe I'll just use the charging but take a DNS. Either way, bummer :(

Update: SpeedVentures couldn't refund me at this late time, but said I could keep my charging spot in the paddock and simply not run the TT. They were very understanding, though I still feel bad. The event isn't run head-to-head, so I'm surprised it's not insurable.

Last edited:
Update on Lockton's insurance for ReFuel: Note that they WILL NOT cover a car entered in the TT. They cover the HPDE portion, only.

I decided the risk was awfully high for that portion of the event, then, and sent SpeedVentures an email stating I wouldn't be participating in the TT. I don't know if there's a waiting list for that part, but if there is a spot should be opening up. Or if they won't refund, maybe I'll just use the charging but take a DNS. Either way, bummer :(

Update: SpeedVentures couldn't refund me at this late time, but said I could keep my charging spot in the paddock and simply not run the TT. They were very understanding, though I still feel bad. The event isn't run head-to-head, so I'm surprised it's not insurable.

I'll give you $10 for a little in-Paddock charging time...

Looking back on it, I should have registered for the TT just to get in-Paddock charging...

I'll give you $10 for a little in-Paddock charging time...

Looking back on it, I should have registered for the TT just to get in-Paddock charging...

Exactly. I'm not complaining. Essentially I decided to run the TT as a bonus for the paddock charging. I got the impression from SV the TT didn't sell out, so I suspect a number of spots will be available.

I'll certainly be sharing ours as much as possible, though. Ferrying back and forth to the campground is no fun.

I wonder if Doug and everyone has heard any more about pop-up Superchargers? I heard that was a thing last year, but it wasn't decided for sure yet for this year. Haven't heard anything since, so I suspect the answer is no? Especially with the recent high-speed crashes. :-/

Last I checked, TT was sold out...
Huh. I'm surprised they didn't take my spot and sell it to the next person on the list, then. We can't really check TT status since it's an optional extra for the HPDE, for which all slots ARE sold out.

ZBB mentioned he got an email from SV stating there will be a Tesla Supercharger on-site for the TT participants, which would be nice.

I wonder if Doug and everyone has heard any more about pop-up Superchargers? I heard that was a thing last year, but it wasn't decided for sure yet for this year. Haven't heard anything since, so I suspect the answer is no? Especially with the recent high-speed crashes. :-/

Yes -- there will be 6 Supercharger stalls at the track, see doug's post from the Charging @ TMC Connect thread:

This year we put most of our resources in the charging available at the track, which is just 9 miles away. The charging facilities will be open to all on Friday and Saturday 7am to 7pm (while non-EV specific events are going on). This includes 6 supercharger stalls as well as some Roadster HPCs. It's possible there might be a $10 gate charge, but then you'll get a wrist band that will give you access for the rest of the weekend.

There will also be Level 2 charging available at the hotel, but those who are Supercharger capable should definitely top off at Laguna Seca on their way in.

Here's the ReFuel specific schedule.

SUNDAY
7:00am Gates Open
8:15am Registration Opens
9:30am ReFuel Driver's Meeting 1 - Mandatory!
10:00am Autocross Opens
10:45am ReFuel Cars A, 15
11:00am ReFuel Cars B, 15
11:15am ReFuel Bikes, 15
11:30am ReFuel Karts, 5
11:40am ReFuel Driver's Meeting 2 - Mandatory!
12:50pm ReFuel Cars A, 15
1:05pm ReFuel Cars B, 15
1:20pm ReFuel Bikes, 15
1:35pm ReFuel Karts, 5
1:55pm ReFuel Parade Laps, 15
2:15pm ReFuel Driver's Meeting 3 and Sport Electric TT Meeting - Mandatory!
2:49pm Pre-Grid for SportElectric TT
3:35pm ReFuel SportElectric TT, 60
5:50pm ReFuel Cars B, 15
6:05pm ReFuel Cars A, 15
6:20pm ReFuel Bikes, 10
6:00pm Autocross Closed
6:30pm Course Closed
6:35pm ReFuel Awards Ceremony

Thanks for the schedule, Doug. If we want to participate in the parade lap (looks like 1:55pm), what do we need to do? Is there a list, do we need to check in, any specific place to park? I'm assuming there is no tech inspection, helmets, etc needed for the parade lap?

Also, I have seen some cool track photos of Teslas coming around turns over the past few years. Will there be a pro photographer on hand taking tons of shots? I sure the folks our racing would love a picture, but in reality, I would still love a picture of my car coming around a turn even on the parade lap. One year I may get up the nerve to sign up for racing.

OK, that's what I was thinking. So I assume for parade lap we just park in the parking lot somewhere like anyone else visiting the track, then once we hear the announcement go grab our car and drive in "somewhere" as directed. In other words, I'm guessing we don't bring our cars into the paddock or other areas earlier in the day.

Has anyone here been on the track previously?

I'm wondering what we do about cooling our brakes. In all of my previous cars, after the session you bring your car back to the paddock, open the hood and let it idle (if turbocharged to keep oil circulating), put it in neutral, and block the tires. Engaging a parking brake can warp rotors, especially when they're extremely hot after lapping.

However, in our cars, parking brakes automatically engage when we enter park. We can leave it in neutral, but presumably we can't charge in neutral, so cooling and charging would be two steps.

Is there a good strategy for heat cycling these things and staying charged up?

OK, that's what I was thinking. So I assume for parade lap we just park in the parking lot somewhere like anyone else visiting the track, then once we hear the announcement go grab our car and drive in "somewhere" as directed. In other words, I'm guessing we don't bring our cars into the paddock or other areas earlier in the day.

In the paddock map that Doug posted you can see a purple-black "pregrid" area, which is where you go to line up for the parade lap. Last year we were able to park in the green Refuel paddock area, but I think this year it will be even more crowded and non-racers should park in the Red paddock areas which have more space but will have regular gas cars being prepped as well.

Last year they had test drives of Fiat 500e. Anyone know what this year's car is?

Anyone know what NCK stands for and what that orange area is for?

- - - Updated - - -

Parade lap speeds are low, more like 30mph. And you need to drive with the windows open. Like doug said no inspection or helmets.

I have uploaded the two pdfs to teslapdf.com for perusal on the center console

http://teslapdf.com/2014Refuel

http://teslapdf.com/Paddock

IRRC, for the parade lap, you just listen for the announcement. Everyone lines their cars up and just follows single file. Speeds are limited to highway speeds so no inspection or helmets are needed.

Schedule (which is sadly using our temp logo):
http://www.speedventures.com/the-line/SV_schedule_2014-07-20_refuel.pdf

Paddock map:
http://www.speedventures.com/the-line/REFUEL-2014-PaddockMap.pdf

I'm wondering what we do about cooling our brakes. In all of my previous cars, after the session you bring your car back to the paddock, open the hood and let it idle (if turbocharged to keep oil circulating), put it in neutral, and block the tires. Engaging a parking brake can warp rotors, especially when they're extremely hot after lapping.

One thing about the Model S, is you can't do enough laps to get the brakes super hot. The power limits kick in too soon.

One thing about the Model S, is you can't do enough laps to get the brakes super hot. The power limits kick in too soon.

Ha, well I suppose that's one way for it to not matter. When the limiter does hit, I wasn't sure how significant the effect was.

Do people pull into the pits to cool for a few laps and then re-enter? Or just drive around in reduced power mode?

Edit: And one other thing. What is everyone doing about numbers? I have these awesome magnetic numbers I use on my other cars... but... aluminum doors :(. Our paint is pretty fragile and racing tape is intense. Anyone heard anything more about the "for purchase" numbers supposedly available at the track? Presumably it's a giant sticker?

Last edited:
Ha, well I suppose that's one way for it to not matter. When the limiter does hit, I wasn't sure how significant the effect was.

Do people pull into the pits to cool for a few laps and then re-enter? Or just drive around in reduced power mode?

I would definitely pull off. The Model S cranks back pretty quickly. At Calabogie - 5 km track - I'd do two laps and then go off to cool down. At Shannonville I'd do 3 laps, maybe 4 but that was getting to be pretty slow.

One thing about the Model S that's better than the Roadster - it cools down faster. 10 minutes and you can blast back out of the pits again. Even 5 minutes is a big improvement.

Edit: And one other thing. What is everyone doing about numbers?

Green painter's tape.

76.jpg