Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refuel 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not participate nor register for the TT also because of the insurance issue. I was very disappointed with the decision to only allow TT participants to use the super chargers. They were provided by Tesla, not speed ventures. I was sharing my car with another driver, so the car was in both A and B groups. We could not regain sufficient energy to enable us to keep participating without the SC. Speed ventures staff were unsympathetic and did not try to remedy the problem. Had I paid for the TT just for SC access, the insurance company wanted a notarized letter from speed ventures that despite the TT being on the registration that I did not participate. Way too much hassle. Next year there needs to be adequate fast charging for everyone.

(/complain off)

@Andrew
I wish we had a chance to chat throughout the day. I had multiple ask me about the charging protocol. My standard response was something like this...
Officially, the superchargers are for TT drivers only, until the TT sessions are done. What this means is that anybody that stays after the TT sessions (including spectators) is free to use the superchargers. But...
Among the Tesla crowd, we can generally find a better solution than any "rules" among ourselves and we'll find a way. If a TT person is low, we'll make sure they get juiced but otherwise we'll just rotate in everybody regardless of the "official" policy.
As long as nobody in our crowd complains to Speed Ventures about problems, then they won't know or care ... and won't want or need to enforce anything.

I didn't hear of any complaints to them on the superchargers, but maybe there were.

Anyway, bummer your day was not as fun because of supercharger issues.

Sidenote: I thanked the maestro at the TT car lineup profusely after doing my run for having us, getting the line going, etc. After that I offered a suggestion that next year they split the TT into two groups and let the drivers know ASAP so we can coordinate first group SC topoff before second group SC topoff. Perhaps there are some other concrete small adjustments that can be made; like NOT having the superchargers at the parking area but rather having it like a car wash where "stall row" is an "island" that have a "drivethru" type system where people could stack up 3 cars deep to wait in line. Speed Ventures was very receptive to recommendations.

Sidenote 2: There was also a bit of a mixup regarding the scheduling of the TT driver's meeting and the parade lap that ended up preventing some drivers from joining the parade lap that wanted to. (I heard about this 2nd hand.) There's definitely room to improve things but, frankly, the number of moving parts at that event that ~10 people (that I saw) were coordinating was pretty impressive.

Last edited:
I did not participate nor register for the TT also because of the insurance issue. I was very disappointed with the decision to only allow TT participants to use the super chargers. They were provided by Tesla, not speed ventures. I was sharing my car with another driver, so the car was in both A and B groups. We could not regain sufficient energy to enable us to keep participating without the SC. Speed ventures staff were unsympathetic and did not try to remedy the problem. Had I paid for the TT just for SC access, the insurance company wanted a notarized letter from speed ventures that despite the TT being on the registration that I did not participate. Way too much hassle. Next year there needs to be adequate fast charging for everyone.

(/complain off)

I know it's too late now, but you should have asked around a bit. I don't think we had the opportunity to meet. Brianman, Denarius, myself, and a bunch of others technically registered for the TT were helping all comers work in on the Supercharger rotation. You're correct in that technically that was SpeedVentures' position, but while they seemed to care, for us this was essentially a community event. No one would have said anything if you charged up. Especially if you told them your car was running both groups despite not being in the TT.

That said, it was occasionally crazy down there. Everyone who showed up for the parade lapped absolutely PACKED the paddock around the Superchargers, and it was insane. I made the mistake of putting all our stuff down right by the chargers, and always had a hell of a time getting back to it. Other than that, the Superchargers were consistently used but there wasn't really a line. Everyone was really friendly, essentially announcing, "I'm pulling off the charger, who needs?"

Sorry that hurt your enjoyment of the event.

People should simply be required to stay at their cars during charging and ideally not range charge if possible during the day at least. Time trial people could jump in when needed. If they had enough HPWCs then you could top up while your car was cooling off after charging to 80 or 90%.

People should simply be required to stay at their cars during charging and ideally not range charge if possible during the day at least. Time trial people could jump in when needed. If they had enough HPWCs then you could top up while your car was cooling off after charging to 80 or 90%.
I didn't get the impression that people were being inconsiderate and leaving their cars on the charger after they were done. If I snuck away, like I did to photograph the TT, I put a sticky note on my window with "For disconnect call..." in case someone was desperate. That said, I do think most people were range charging (or at least I was, sorry), since that last couple percent makes a pretty big performance difference.

I would have happily hopped to a slower charger, but the 14-50s were all spoken for by non-Supercharger capable vehicles, and even then I used roughly 80 rated miles lapping one session. That's probably 2 hours of charging on 14-50 vs. 10 or 15 minutes on the Supercharger. It's probably better to not tie up a 14-50 everyone can use when you can get on and off a Supercharger quickly.

Everyone was really friendly, essentially announcing, "I'm pulling off the charger, who needs?"
This....contributed to my voice going towards the end of the day. At least 3 times, I got no response to "Anybody want a supercharger?!" with a stall or two unoccupied.

That said, at least 3 times the call was followed by "ok, you in the green" pointing and slot occupation. :)

I didn't mean to indicate it was a big problem or a problem at all actually but even 5 min here or there adds up during the day and people were on a tight schedule.

I didn't know about the range charging and performance. That makes sense.

Maybe a dry erase board with car number and order list for which car is next to charge? Having everyone write their phone number someplace on their car or on the board would be helpful. Of course with the mobile phone apps people keep track of their charging so not really an issue. It's just such a limited resource and was trying to think of ways to maximize it.

Certainly more and faster charging helps. As brianman mentioned, there were stalls sitting idle with some regularity. The main congestion point was between sessions one and two because they were so close together, with the separation further shortened by a long driver's meeting that locked charging owners into the classroom. Other than that, the chaos seemed to work relatively well... this time. It might not for next year, though, especially if Tesla doesn't bring more Superchargers and attendance increases further.

Certainly some kind of list would have helped with the crunch periods, but it didn't seem like there were too many of those. It might make sense to ask for reserved staging lane for Supercharger access next year if it looks like access will be tighter. Get in line, and wait to charge.

...and the lengths to which this agile S owner (bluetinc) will go to achieve the perfect pic....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 467
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Yes given the slow taper at the top of the pack, and the long down time between sessions, it seems like a car with twin chargers should be able to recoup 80 miles in 1.5hrs and that would be as good as queuing up for a supercharger. I suppose it's more work to put in 30 HPWCs vs 3 supercharger cabinets.

Showed up at the Hyatt to register and was blown away by the Tesla contingent.
Had no idea teslamotorsclub existed. Our model S has 1000+ miles...

Anyway, Sunday AM at the track (about 8am, I raced
a Lotus Exige that weekend) a few charge stations were unused so I
used one for 15 or so minutes, just for a few insurance miles
to get home to Burlingame CA. Owners I spoke to at the Hyatt and
the track were very nice indeed, though it really did not get through to
Judy and I what was going on. Maybe we'll be able to participate
next year.

The Teslas at the track made a great show in every way. Well done.
Even a few harmless (AFAIK) spins.

Showed up at the Hyatt to register and was blown away by the Tesla contingent.
Had no idea teslamotorsclub existed. Our model S has 1000+ miles...

Anyway, Sunday AM at the track (about 8am, I raced
a Lotus Exige that weekend) a few charge stations were unused so I
used one for 15 or so minutes, just for a few insurance miles
to get home to Burlingame CA. Owners I spoke to at the Hyatt and
the track were very nice indeed, though it really did not get through to
Judy and I what was going on. Maybe we'll be able to participate
next year.

The Teslas at the track made a great show in every way. Well done.
Even a few harmless (AFAIK) spins.
What a way to be introduced to the TMC crowd - welcome!