Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refund of £100 order fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate some might be struggling to justify a car in these times and might even need their £100 order fee back.

Not sure if below is somewhere else.

The Tesla site is somewhat misleading about the £100 order fee being non-refundable...although it does say "except when statutory cancellation rights apply".

Just wanted to share how that might work if you're looking to cancel and think you can't get your £100 back.

Firstly:
  • The order agreement (which you receive straight after you order) clearly states on page 4 that under the UK's distance selling regulations you can cancel your order and receive reimbursement of any amounts you've paid. You need to notify up to 14 days after delivery or after your vehicle is made available to collect.
    • This would include the £100 order fee - there's zero ambiguity if you cancel before you've even received the vehicle
(Note: Tesla's own policy on being able to get a full refund within 7 days is completely separate and not a statutory right. Also, if you tried to use above statutory right to get a full refund within 14 days of receiving the vehicle - you should be successful, but they could deduct an amount for wear and tear if you've actually been driving it around and not kept it 'as new'!)

Secondly:
  • In particular if you've ordered an inventory vehicle under the reasonable expectation of receiving the vehicle swiftly...
  • You should obviously try getting Tesla to refund you directly if you no longer want or need the vehicle if it's now been deferred indefinitely, but if that fails and you've paid on a credit card you could try making a Section 75 claim with your credit card company to get that money back

Not claiming all of above is guaranteed to work to happy to debate it here!

Just ask them and see what they say, people who ordered used cars often got refunds on their deposits
Yep, I just did for one of my own orders and (probably because I was speaking to someone in the Netherlands) they kept trying to argue that the order fee is not refundable (which might be true in other countries but the statutory right in the UK if you buy something online/on the phone is clear).

So I am actively trying to follow my own guidance above!

She tried to argue that you can get a refund for the amount you pay for the actual car but not the order fee.

Pointed her to the order agreement and repeatedly quoted it - in particular the bit that says "reimburse all payments" and she eventually caved and agreed to email me later.

So it's still not resolved but I'm trying!

Nope! They denied it by email as well, and now have just removed the order from my account with no refund.

My next step is to go to credit card company and query the transaction, providing evidence that I cancelled my contract within the statutory timeframe so should be entitled to the refund.

Ultimately the Tesla website clearly says "*Non-refundable for order cancellations, except when statutory cancellation rights apply." and a statutory right clearly exists here even if the staff at Tesla don't know/understand it.

No I had the SR+ on order via lease since Jan. But wasn't matched by mid March and then saw exact spec on inventory! So decided to take the risk and order in the hope that I can swap over the RN.

Then lockdown happened and as it wasn't essential I got unmatched from the inventory car anyway (which was stuck in Southampton to be fair).

In the end I cancelled that order and also the lease....and have re-ordered via lease but a higher spec :) (LR in deep blue)

Reactions: Godsense
I am having this battle as well. They keep telling me that it is a non-refundable deposit but I do keep pointing out that the consumer rights act in the UK concerning distance selling states I am entitled to this refund. As good as these cars maybe I have now been put right off. This company surely can afford to return deposits.

Ah thanks for bumping this, update from me:

They refused and then just stopped responding to emails when I threatened to go via credit card company.

So that's what I did and just raised it as a dispute saying they'd refused to refund even though their own terms and conditions state that they have to.

Got the money credited immediately. Coincidentally Tesla then responded apologising for the delay and requesting my bank details for refund which I didn't need to do.

Sadly many of the people on email/phone are clueless staff in the Netherlands who don't know UK consumer law.

Also sadly, Tesla are not the only company guilty of this. I had to set out the same UK law to Google Store customer services last week when they tried to fob me off with their 14 day grace period despite selling me a faulty product (which you have 30 days to return by law).

• Informative
Reactions: john19951

They refused and then just stopped responding to emails when I threatened to go via credit card company.

So that's what I did and just raised it as a dispute saying they'd refused to refund even though their own terms and conditions state that they have to.

Got the money credited immediately. Coincidentally Tesla then responded apologising for the delay and requesting my bank details for refund which I didn't need to do.

Sadly many of the people on email/phone are clueless staff in the Netherlands who don't know UK consumer law.

Also sadly, Tesla are not the only company guilty of this. I had to set out the same UK law to Google Store customer services last week when they tried to fob me off with their 14 day grace period despite selling me a faulty product (which you have 30 days to return by law).

Brilliant news mate.

I shall try the same angle of attack. I can not believe the amount of aggro this has caused me.

Glad you got it back. I feel it is something that needs to be raised in more than this forum.

John

Reactions: bhav

Well I replied with the threat of Credit Card company and now they have asked for my bank details at last so we will wait and see.

Thanks for your help and I hope this helps others who may find themselves in this situation.

• Informative
Reactions: john19951 and bhav
Ring the delivery number and speak to someone in the UK.

I honestly had no trouble getting my deposit back but it's a lottery I'll admit
Hi,

Seems so. I hit them with everything I had re the distance selling consumer rights for the UK and threatening to take them to the County Court etc. no joy but the threat of going to the credit card company and the bad publicity they have now asked for my bank details so we wait and see.

Reactions: bhav

Got the money credited immediately. Coincidentally Tesla then responded apologising for the delay and requesting my bank details for a refund which I didn't need to do.

Also sadly, Tesla is not the only company guilty of this. I had to set out the same UK law to Google Store customer services last week when they tried to fob me off with their 14 day grace period despite selling me a faulty product (which you have 30 days to return by law).

UPDATE....

I received my deposit back from TESLA after the threat to go via my Credit Card Co. even though I used a Debit card lol. So this seems the only way they will return it. I even threatened them with the County Court.

Thank you Bhav.

Sorry for resurrecting an old threat, but has anyone else had any luck with this without escalating to a Section 75? I'm worried that it would tar future dealings in case of warranty or any other issues.

My situation is that I placed an order on a demo, and within 48hs another demo came up that I preferred. I'd rather not eat the £100 but will if I have to. I also read the "*Non-refundable for order cancellations, except when statutory cancellation rights apply." and took that to mean distance selling would mean I get the money back but the people on chat argue otherwise.

Sorry for resurrecting an old threat, but has anyone else had any luck with this without escalating to a Section 75? I'm worried that it would tar future dealings in case of warranty or any other issues.

My situation is that I placed an order on a demo, and within 48hs another demo came up that I preferred. I'd rather not eat the £100 but will if I have to. I also read the "*Non-refundable for order cancellations, except when statutory cancellation rights apply." and took that to mean distance selling would mean I get the money back but the people on chat argue otherwise.

I would do exactly what everyone else has done here. At the end of the day you are a small fish in a very large pond and i'm sure you will be forgotten about once the refund has been issued, so there's no chance of them black listing you for future issues.

Besides, not like they are losing out, you are still buying a 50k+ car off them for crying out loud.

I would do exactly what everyone else has done here. At the end of the day you are a small fish in a very large pond and i'm sure you will be forgotten about once the refund has been issued, so there's no chance of them black listing you for future issues.

Besides, not like they are losing out, you are still buying a 50k+ car off them for crying out loud.
They will move that deposit to the new car if you would prefer.

You're probably right, I'm just paranoid based on how much they seem to connect every contact we have with them into our files aha. I'm sure based on the number of contacts I've had with them that I must have a few flags next to my name. Also I'm a much smaller fish and went for a 36k model aha.

I had a P on order as well as an LR, cancelled the P order and was initially refused a refund.
Quoted the regulations, and got an apologetic reply followed by £100 refund.

Great to hear! I've gotten off the phone with them and they've asked me to email them ([email protected], for future reference if anyone else needs it). We'll see what happens. They seemed receptive to it, unfortunate to have to jump through these hoops.
They will move that deposit to the new car if you would prefer.
I tried this actually, was told that I couldn't transfer it across and that I'd need to place a new order and so pay new order fee. Because of the price and how fast they tend to go I jumped on it without wasting more time debating.