TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Refund timing on cancellation?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gfunkdave, Jun 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gfunkdave

gfunkdave Member

I canceled my Model 3 reservation a few weeks ago and have yet to receive a refund. The website still just says that it is being processed. Does anyone know how to get an update on refund status? It said it could take a few weeks, but it's been that long already.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Took me under a week for a *roof* refund the week after release, so, I'd thought the hiccups earlier in the car reservation refund process had been 'corrected'. No idea why it would take too long. Assume credit card payment? My roof deposit was back on the card in 6 days.

3. gfunkdave

gfunkdave Member

Hmm, thanks. I'll give them a call today then.

4. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Side question - What was the reason you decided to cancel?

5. gfunkdave

gfunkdave Member

I needed a car by May 20, long before I would have gotten the M3. My brilliant plan of getting my company to let me use our electric Focus in the meantime (which nobody uses and just sits in a parking lot) fell through. So rather than dealing with finding a short term lease (a likely expensive option) I just bought a CPO 2015 Honda Accord Touring hybrid. I'll keep it for 5-8 years and then probably buy an electric car. At that time, I think there should be a lot of good options.

I'd been a little hesitant on the Tesla anyway, since I've always been leery of buying a car that is a brand new platform in its first model year. Also, if the M3 starts at $35k that means the one I'd want would probably be about $50k - too much to spend.

I emailed Tesla's [email protected] address and received a reply a couple hours later telling me my request is in the queue, they receive hundreds of refund requests a day, and to allow up to six weeks for the refund to come.

6. BrettS

BrettS Member

For what it’s worth, it took about a month to get mine (I wound up buying a used model S). I thought I had seen some documentation that it could take up to three weeks, so I called after three weeks and was told to keep waiting. But it did happen eventually.

7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It took about a month for me when I swapped my reservation for an S.