Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refunds on Roadster Deposit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't win with you.

But thanks for the support about getting the refund. I was number 277. The reason why I cancelled was not the reason that Elon Musk gave yesterday in his press release (he said that people cancelled due to their financial problems). I cancelled only because of his bad attitude and failure to run the company in an ethical manner. I don't do business with people I don't trust. I do not want to be at their mercy when I need service. Elon is of the greed culture. It's the "all about me me me" attitude. This is why the country is so messed up. Too much greed. I'm an entrepreneur, and I made my money honestly and ethically. I always put the customer first - and on a pedestal. I personally don't think that Elon will succeed unless he changes his attitude. However, he will first need to eat some humble pie.

Lbaroody,

Wasn't aware it was a contest. (smiling)

I'm not thrilled with Elon's track record either. However, he also made a statement in his release that the Roadster is still without true competition. If you want this kind of car, his is the only one. Also, I don't judge a company only on its CEO. Yes, I have owned several businesses too. I made my money the same way you have. The Tesla employees have been great. And many companies remain successsful and a positive cutomer experience despite the man/woman at the top.

Just my thoughts and ramblings. I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone else's.

Why not wait for the Tesla Sedan? I am not judging just simply wondering...

For me it was practicality. With no access to high power recharge stations the all electric just doesn’t work for anything more than a daily commuter. I could not even take it in for service without spending the night on the way there. The plug-in hybrid is the best alternative for now. I can go all electric for the commute and still have the ability to go on a road trip without an issue.

For me it was practicality. With no access to high power recharge stations the all electric just doesn’t work for anything more than a daily commuter. I could not even take it in for service without spending the night on the way there. The plug-in hybrid is the best alternative for now. I can go all electric for the commute and still have the ability to go on a road trip without an issue.

You just described what I think most two car families will be in the future.
One pure EV for local commuting.
One PHEV that is mostly electric, but also has the backup ICE for long range trips.

That is the model that I am trying to build for my garage. Every vehicle will have a plug on it and get most or all of the energy from the grid. I will be getting rid of my last gas only vehicle this summer when the Tesla Roadster arrives.

The Hymotion Prius Plug-In is electric for about 25 to 40 miles, but it is also a regular Prius (45-50 mpg) if I need to do a long trip.

The Tesla Roadster is a lot more than just a daily commuter. I could drive it from Seattle to Portland (180 miles) if I need to. If my HPC is there, I could come back the same day. I could probably come back the same day even if I only had the 30 amp mobile charger (7 hr recharge) with me in Portland.

The other vehicle that I am building is a new project for our company. It is a 2009 RAV4 EV conversion.

8 years later, what's your take on Elon's (or Tesla's) success? In retrospect, do you feel Elon did what was needed to rescue Tesla and achieve its goal of advancing sustainable transportation?
@lbaroody is no longer a registered TMC member, so I doubt you are going to get a response from him.

Clearly he was wrong. Tesla is now producing EVs at a rate of over 90,000/year. I would call that "success" in the short term. Long term (20 years out) I'm very optimistic but not 100% certain.

And don't get me wrong. The questions raised in this thread are very valid considering the tough financial situation at Tesla at the time...

And when your money is on the line, I understand that the change of plans at the last minute by Elon for the Roadster may have been perceived as money grab. I guess being a public company now makes it more transparent to everyone to evaluate how much trust they put in Elon and the executive team to deliver on their promises.

I remember putting a deposit on the Roadster and then being offered a 10,000 dollar discount on the Model S to be delivered TBD if you placed a 40k signature deposit down. Those were scary times because many were unsure if they would get one car let alone two and there was a significant risk of losing two deposits.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
I don't see Tesla as being in financial strain right now. They have lots of orders, lots of customers, and a new model coming out with more buzz and anticipation than any other vehicle on the planet. The Roadster had none of that, honestly. To this date most people have no idea it was ever produced. They heard of Tesla in the last few years because of the Model S's success and because of the Model 3's amazing order volume.

I think Tesla has a very bright future, with or without government support. I'm personally in favor of extending and expanding EV credits because I think the gov't has the means to push this future closer to the present.