Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refurbished Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience with a refurbished battery? I have a 2014 Model S P85 that is currantly getting a new(refurbished) battery. What kind of range can I expect? Will it be newer components or the same ones in the original battery?
Thanks for your help.

You could get the new 89kwh battery that has more usable capacity (and range) than the 90kwh packs. You could get a refurbished old 85 with a 200 mile batterygate software cap. Tesla is incredibly inconsistent right now.

Got one about 6 months ago for my P85D. Nominal range as reported by the car went up by about 7 miles. Not sure if this is real or just due to clearing old data ... was not as good as a new one and was not worse than the one that bricked. Yay.

Hello all,
In the end I got a battery that charges to ~225 miles at 90%. I haven't charged to 100% yet but am assuming that 100% would be around ~245 miles (works out to 247.5 if you do the math). Was hoping for a bit more miles, but it sure beats the 200ish I was getting at 100% before the replacement:)

I have a 2013 P85+ with its third pack. It's a R2 pack (refurbished 2 times!). It works flawlessly, the typical range is 365 km (226 miles). It charges at 123 kW at the beginning.of the the charge with a low SOC. I hope all bad cells were replaced and now it will work for the next 300.000 miles. It is not my old packs, It was each time a pack exchange

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I have a 2013 P85+ with its third pack. It's a R2 pack (refurbished 2 times!). It works flawlessly, the typical range is 365 km (226 miles). It charges at 123 kW at the beginning.of the the charge with a low SOC. I hope all bad cells were replaced and now it will work for the next 300.000 miles. It is not my old packs, It was each time a pack exchange
Most likely all the original cells are there. Tesla most likely only change defective BMS-cards in the modules and fixing bad connections on the cables monitoring the cells. Corrosion and bad soldering is a known problem. The pack isnt 100% air tight so moisture can get in. So minimal material costs, mostly labor-

Most likely all the original cells are there. Tesla most likely only change defective BMS-cards in the modules and fixing bad connections on the cables monitoring the cells. Corrosion and bad soldering is a known problem. The pack isnt 100% air tight so moisture can get in. So minimal material costs, mostly labor-
doubtful. Service Centers typically do not open the pack. It's a plug and play replacement

doubtful. Service Centers typically do not open the pack. It's a plug and play replacement
I expect this happens at a refurb center / contractor. The service centers just ship them out.

In the before days (when one could fly wherever) I chatted with a man on a train ride in Germany that worked for a contractor that refurbed batteries for Tesla there. He wouldn’t name the company…