Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refurbished Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any issues with buying refurbished/reconditioned wheels? My order just went into confirmed status and am now regretting not getting the 21's (yes, I've read all the negative feedback on them, but aesthetically, I just can't get past staring every time I see a set of staggered 21's on the road). There are some decent deals online for refurbished wheels and I was thinking of buying a set to try, but hold on to my stock 19's for a while and then if I don't like them, I'll just re-sell the 21's. Assuming the wheels are coming from a reputable shop with good feedback does anyone see any issues with this approach?

Any issues with buying refurbished/reconditioned wheels? My order just went into confirmed status and am now regretting not getting the 21's (yes, I've read all the negative feedback on them, but aesthetically, I just can't get past staring every time I see a set of staggered 21's on the road). There are some decent deals online for refurbished wheels and I was thinking of buying a set to try, but hold on to my stock 19's for a while and then if I don't like them, I'll just re-sell the 21's. Assuming the wheels are coming from a reputable shop with good feedback does anyone see any issues with this approach?

I can't speak to anything besides my experience with this Ebay vendor (No affiliation), but I purchased a refurb 21" wheel from them when one of mine cracked and it has been fine so far.

power-wheel on eBay

(yes, I've read all the negative feedback on them, but aesthetically, I just can't get past staring every time I see a set of staggered 21's on the road).

I'm going to bet that most of the 21" wheels you see aren't "staggered"! The staggered 21" wheel setup only came on P85+ and a few early P85Ds. All the rest are 8.5"x21" wheels and 245 mm width tires all-around (stock, that is). Also, the staggered rear wheels are only 3/4" of an inch WIDER than the front wheels. So you'd have to have pretty amazing eyesight to see the difference. ;)

That said, I *LOVE* the 21" rims. I wouldn't have bought them if I ordered a car new (being in the northeast), but they came with the Inventory car I bought. I put 19" wheels and all-seasons on in the winter, but I can't wait for spring to throw the 21"'ers on.

I'm going to bet that most of the 21" wheels you see aren't "staggered"! The staggered 21" wheel setup only came on P85+ and a few early P85Ds. All the rest are 8.5"x21" wheels and 245 mm width tires all-around (stock, that is). Also, the staggered rear wheels are only 3/4" of an inch WIDER than the front wheels. So you'd have to have pretty amazing eyesight to see the difference. ;)

That said, I *LOVE* the 21" rims. I wouldn't have bought them if I ordered a car new (being in the northeast), but they came with the Inventory car I bought. I put 19" wheels and all-seasons on in the winter, but I can't wait for spring to throw the 21"'ers on.

Thanks. That is good feedback. The wheels say that the fronts are 8.5 wide and the backs are 9.0 wide. I believe that is the staggered setup, but if not, I'd love to know!

Regarding the appearance, especially if you are behind the car, the half inch difference on a staggered setup (or whatever it is) from 8.5's/245's all around is pretty noticeable - to my eye, at least.

Last edited:
The wheels say that the fronts are 8.5 wide and the backs are 9.0 wide. I believe that is the staggered setup, but if not, I'd love to know!

Yeah, that's right. if you're looking for the staggered setup, that's what you want. Just be aware that the tire selection for that is *extremely* limited if you want to go with something other than the stock PS2s. You also can't rotate them with directional tires.

That's why I ditched the 9" rear rims and went with 8.5" all around (and 245s) so I could buy better tires and rotate them as needed.

What Model S are you getting?

21" has amazing looks and traction compare to the 19".
I recommend buying from individuals on this website, ebay or craiglists.

It is risky to buy cheap refurbished wheels. Unless you like cheap coin flips.

I clean the 21" wheels once a month, it takes me 15 min to clean all the brake dirt. it is always dreadful when i stuck my hands between the spokes. Afraid of the car might move and snap my hands off.