Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused M3 delivery Marina Del Rey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your story sounds so similar to my delivery experience at the Costa Mesa center. They had the tech come out and say it's all within spec. When I asked if I could refuse, they said that since I signed, I technically took delivery of the vehicle (BS). Then they also mentioned that even if I refused delivery and wait for another vehicle, there are no guarantees that the new car would be defect free nor do they know how long it would take to get me a new car.

Hope you end up getting a car to your satisfaction OP. For a $50k+ car, the quality is worse than many <$25k.

And Jerome before him.

Feels like a rudderless ship now that the most recent Sales/Service exec left to join McNeill at... Lyft, was it that McNeill left for last year?

In a perfect world, Jerome would train his replacement in the Semi program and come back to save Sales/Service. Not happening as iirc, Jerome left a truck group at Mercedes to join Tesla. Besides which, he’s paid his dues.

Eh. Next year’s quality should be better. Never mind the next quarter-million cars.

I've been in 'customer service' for over 20 years. I know how to take care of customers and probably most people who can buy Tesla's. Problem is we are expensive.

Tesla is already at 9,000 per minute cash burn. They have huge challenges. Their main saving grace is they are at least making a product that people love and want.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA
I've been in 'customer service' for over 20 years. I know how to take care of customers and probably most people who can buy Tesla's. Problem is we are expensive.

Tesla is already at 9,000 per minute cash burn. They have huge challenges. Their main saving grace is they are at least making a product that people love and want.

Well, then another dollar or two per minute invested in a quality executive leadership role to improve the delivery experience and, slightly less importantly, to reduce avoidable post-delivery due bill costs, certainly won’t bankwupt the company.

Well, then another dollar or two per minute invested in a quality executive leadership role to improve the delivery experience and, slightly less importantly, to reduce avoidable post-delivery due bill costs, certainly won’t bankwupt the company.

Front lines are still going to be young kids with no pride and ethic. Minimum wages are also expensive in California with no minimum return on value.

My 17 year old self would have been absolutely terrified to show a 'nasty product' to a customer.

If I were Elon I would be sending corporate out to the delivery centers to show the kids how it’s done and hopefully it sticks.

You can be HR/IT/Finance at Tesla and still get screwed over because the kids in delivery down the street are messing up shop.

Reactions: uclazn
If you guys are thinking 30K and 50K VINs are rejects, then I'm totally screwed this week. Taking delivery on Wednesday (at home!) of a 26xxx.

I had already figured it was a reject because we configured on 7/22/18 and had the VIN the next frickin' morning. But my hope was that whatever was wrong with it will have been cleaned up/fixed. We'll see how bad it is on Wednesday but I'm expecting to have to make a decision between taking it and getting things fixed at the service center vs. refusing delivery and getting back in the queue for who knows how long (which I should add wasn't long at all in the first place and why I assume we were "chosen" to receive a potential reject).

Based on the advice in this thread, it sounds like I should definitely NOT ACH them the down payment before they show up as I had been instructed to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
If you guys are thinking 30K and 50K VINs are rejects, then I'm totally screwed this week. Taking delivery on Wednesday (at home!) of a 26xxx.

I had already figured it was a reject because we configured on 7/22/18 and had the VIN the next frickin' morning. But my hope was that whatever was wrong with it will have been cleaned up/fixed. We'll see how bad it is on Wednesday but I'm expecting to have to make a decision between taking it and getting things fixed at the service center vs. refusing delivery and getting back in the queue for who knows how long (which I should add wasn't long at all in the first place and why I assume we were "chosen" to receive a potential reject).

Based on the advice in this thread, it sounds like I should definitely NOT ACH them the down payment before they show up as I had been instructed to do.
This is why Tesla should make VINs a random number. "Reject" could simply be the guy switched to a white interior.

I also read somewhere that VIN order is not necessarily the order of manufacturing (maybe I mis-read). But seems you cannot necessarily say 44xxx was built after 43xxx. You need to look at the build date in the door well ?

FWIW I am taking delivery of a 47xxx this week

If Tesla is producing 5000+ Model 3's in a week, they are trying to deliver that many as well. These forums would crash if say even 5% were completely pissed off.

That's my positive spin. Hope it makes you feel a little better. :)

Your story sounds so similar to my delivery experience at the Costa Mesa center. They had the tech come out and say it's all within spec. When I asked if I could refuse, they said that since I signed, I technically took delivery of the vehicle (BS). Then they also mentioned that even if I refused delivery and wait for another vehicle, there are no guarantees that the new car would be defect free nor do they know how long it would take to get me a new car.

Hope you end up getting a car to your satisfaction OP. For a $50k+ car, the quality is worse than many <$25k.

Yeah seems these DS are just trying to pressure buyers to accept the car and drive off ASAP. Why would you possibly tell a customer buying a vehicle to accept the flaws bc the next one might be flawed also?!

I’ve owned many cars and none of which had any cosmetic issues like the one I saw on the M3 yesterday..

And there were shoe marks inside the trunk!? Very weird. Like how is that even possible? Assembly? How did it pass a simple lookover?

Looks like someone folded the backseat down and sitting on it facing the rear. Probably working on the glass roof or something. Since his feet went thru the pass thru to the trunk, he probably didn't even know that he made some foot prints there.

• Informative
Reactions: one5n1neSDoo
Maybe we should have a running list of all the rejects. Full VIN and why it was rejected. That way it can be easily searched for.

FFS, stop being so dramatic.

Tesla didn't do as good a job with covering up pre-delivery damage as other auto due to the sheer volume they are trying to work through.

I have an upcoming delivery that I may or may not have issue with but I don't need to check a national database or input it into a national database either.

I could take delivery on my 3 on Thursday, and my wife could smash it by Friday. *sugar* happens.

In California - Dealers can repair up to 3% of new car MSRP damage and not even disclose it to you.

Source:

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all

FFS, stop being so dramatic.

Tesla didn't do as good a job with covering up pre-delivery damage as other auto due to the sheer volume they are trying to work through.

I have an upcoming delivery that I may or may not have issue with but I don't need to check a national database or input it into a national database either.

I could take delivery on my 3 on Thursday, and my wife could smash it by Friday. *sugar* happens.

In California - Dealers can repair up to 3% of new car MSRP damage and not even disclose it to you.

Source:

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all

Hmm dramatic? Well I hope you get my reject car then (or someone else's), since you are such a fanboy and don't care about anything but giving Elon $$... HAHA;):p

Hmm dramatic? Well I hope you get my reject car then (or someone else's), since you are such a fanboy and don't care about anything but giving Elon $$... HAHA;):p

Did you not bother to read what I wrote about cars being "fixed" prior to delivery? Happens all the time and is not disclosed to the buyer if its under a certain amount.

Complaining about the state of charge btw is lame. It's not like gasoline that you can leave it on full and have it maintain that sitting on the lot for a month. You should be able to appreciate the logistics of having everyone leave at 100% with all the deliveries they were trying to move through.

• Love
Reactions: X Fan and P85_DA
So what is wrong with that? Damn man, when have you ever bought a car without looking it over and taking a test drive? At Ford, I got one angry call from my regional rep when someone wrote on a survey they did not get a test drive before their purchase. That then flowed down to the CSR and Sales managers involved who were on my sh*t list for a month when they could not prove otherwise to me! Trust me, that only happened once. I actually had a customer call me personally to complain about being forced to take a test drive before he could buy the car. When I told him the salesperson would have been fired if he hadn't and explained why, his whole attitude changed.

Right now Tesla is selling to fans who seem willing to do just about anything to get a car. That is not going to last much longer and Tesla needs to get ready for people to tell them to take the car and stuff it. Welcome to mass market selling.

Yea my last car, Subaru STI was made to order and shipped from the factory in JP bc the specs I wanted was not available. Waited several months, when it arrived it was perfect, no issues at all.

Reactions: neroden
Did you not bother to read what I wrote about cars being "fixed" prior to delivery? Happens all the time and is not disclosed to the buyer if its under a certain amount.

Complaining about the state of charge btw is lame. It's not like gasoline that you can leave it on full and have it maintain that sitting on the lot for a month. You should be able to appreciate the logistics of having everyone leave at 100% with all the deliveries they were trying to move through.

Really? So what about the people that say make delivery at a location further than 170miles away? For a big company like Tesla, they could figure out how to fully charge all the vehicles that are going to be delivered each day. You know which cars are going and when they are going. Charge them up and make the customers happy.