Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused M3 delivery Marina Del Rey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn you reserved in Feb and already went in for delivery of a model 3? That's crazy!

I have been waiting well over a year and I know others have been waiting even longer!

Would it be harder or easier to reject a car if Elon showed up for delivery himself?

Yeah, I was surprised as to how fast I got delivery also. Which furthers my suspicion that this was a prior reject and i fit the build. They were just too lazy to cover it up.

I think if Elon showed up, the car would be perfect. No way you allow Elon deliver a car with defects...

Reactions: neroden
Eddie, Yes, it does look like it sat someplace and got dusty--outside and in. Remember all those photos we looked at over the past few months of Telsa M3s parked all around the Freemont factory? They were just banking them until the 3rd quarter to keep the numbers sold below 200K until July 1. Yours may have sat outside the factory for weeks, and dust has a way of seeping in. Good luck!

Your story sounds so similar to my delivery experience at the Costa Mesa center. They had the tech come out and say it's all within spec. When I asked if I could refuse, they said that since I signed, I technically took delivery of the vehicle (BS). Then they also mentioned that even if I refused delivery and wait for another vehicle, there are no guarantees that the new car would be defect free nor do they know how long it would take to get me a new car.

Hope you end up getting a car to your satisfaction OP. For a $50k+ car, the quality is worse than many <$25k.

What????? How's Tesla gonna succeed? How many "fanboys" are left who will buy/accept whatever Tesla sells and don't complain? This is ridiculously sad.

OP Sorry to hear about your experience. Have a White Model 3 AWD on order for later this fall delivery. Once they started producing the rate of cars they are at I wondered how the end handoff would go. Guess I can understand why they now are offering a 5-minute in-and-out pickup process. Not sure how I feel about that or if I'll choose it when the time comes (but then there might be something else in place). Been through a Tesla delivery with our Model S in early 2017 which I think took about an hour.

At least "stealerships" don't "deliver" vehicles like the one OP was presented with.

I think if stealerships had the daily delivery volume to workforce issues of Tesla, they certainly would. Also if I were OP, I would have taken some pictures, just saying.

Our LEAF had ~18 miles of range when we took delivery...and I think we saw maybe 3 other couples at the stealership over the 3 hrs we were there. I don't believe any of them bought cars.

Yea my last car, Subaru STI was made to order and shipped from the factory in JP bc the specs I wanted was not available. Waited several months, when it arrived it was perfect, no issues at all.

and to be perfectly honest there have been a lot of reports from people who have picked up their Teslas and had no issues so kind of don't get the point...that one came from Japan on a boat and the other from Fremont via direct pickup or trailer or train car?

T
At least "stealerships" don't "deliver" vehicles like the one OP was presented with.
They most certainly do. I bought a "new" Genesis prior to the Tesla and it had been on the lot for a number of months. There were multiple dings/scratches from test drives/people walking around it. Dealership wouldn't do anything about them. Inventory vehicles were sold as/is. I also had to have the car detailed on my own dime right after I bought it because like the Tesla in the pictures, dust and dirt had accumulated in the channels.

If you guys are thinking 30K and 50K VINs are rejects, then I'm totally screwed this week. Taking delivery on Wednesday (at home!) of a 26xxx.

I had already figured it was a reject because we configured on 7/22/18 and had the VIN the next frickin' morning. But my hope was that whatever was wrong with it will have been cleaned up/fixed. We'll see how bad it is on Wednesday but I'm expecting to have to make a decision between taking it and getting things fixed at the service center vs. refusing delivery and getting back in the queue for who knows how long (which I should add wasn't long at all in the first place and why I assume we were "chosen" to receive a potential reject).

Based on the advice in this thread, it sounds like I should definitely NOT ACH them the down payment before they show up as I had been instructed to do.
I have a ~31k delivery next week. I am also a little nervous. It’s been delayed 1 week already due to shipping.

the battery was at about 55% (170 miles).
When my P85D upgrade to Ludicrous upgrade was nearing, Tesla service made a point of saying that the work would be done more quickly if the car was "low" on SOC. Not crazy low, but like 25%. I recall asking further and it was related to the fact that the service needs to be done at low SOC, so they would have to drain down the battery a bit before doing the work if the vehicle was provided with a higher SOC.

In a separate conversation on a different day with Tesla service, I distinctly recall a point being made that the cars need to ship under 50% SOC (maybe even lower, I don't recall exactly the threshold).

Lastly, if you search for "lithium battery shipping" multiple of the results report that some shipping scenarios require the SOC to be <= 30%.

My overall point is that the batteries inside Tesla vehicles are generally not at 100% or even 90% SOC when shipped, due to various regulations or per general Tesla policy.

Consequently, a "very busy" delivery center (i.e. all of them right now) will not be able to provide 90+% SOC for all delivered vehicles. It's just not necessary or practical to wait for such top-offs. If it's important to you have a high SOC at delivery, it's probably a good idea to make a formal (email) request a day or more before your delivery date but don't be surprised if they aren't able to do so.

It’s amazing how many fanboys are on here microscoping my delivery experience. These are probably the same people that would send back a steak if it wasn’t cooked to their preferred temperature and go on yelp to bash the restaurant. But yet my 60k car had all kinds of damages/improfections and service was bad but I’m supposed to just accept it bc it’s Tesla?!

What if people go to Apple and get a new phone only to be told they would need to send it in for repairs bc it was damaged? How much of an outrage would there be?

Trust me I’m not a Elon hater by any means. I love the guy, I think he’s trying to do great things for the world but with the amount of unhappy deliveries there needs to be better QC.

and go on yelp to bash the restaurant.

U lost me on this:eek: ..how is that any different from coming here and doing same thing ?? You are within your rights to refuse delivery ..It happens ..what would make this thread useful is giving some pointers to newer M3 owners that are going to pick up in MDR ..personally I hate when I read on the forums experiences like this than it turns into fanboy vs whoever comes to comment ...I wish you the best of luck getting a Tesla that is up to par for your standards .. ;)

U lost me on this:eek: ..how is that any different from coming here and doing same thing ?? You are within your rights to refuse delivery ..It happens ..what would make this thread useful is giving some pointers to newer M3 owners that are going to pick up in MDR ..personally I hate when I read on the forums experiences like this than it turns into fanboy vs whoever comes to comment ...I wish you the best of luck getting a Tesla that is up to par for your standards .. ;)

I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy..I totally agree that these forums are a way to educate people. Also thank you for the well wishes..o_O

• Love
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA

Not a single person said to take the car if you are not happy. There are fanboys out there, but that is MORE than counterbalanced by haters happy to see Tesla burn as well. How pathetic must you be to not even own or be interested in owning a Tesla but hang out here regardless?

I'll be taking delivery soon at the the craziest and worst delivery center by reputation.

My decision flowchart will be as follows:

1.) Are there any flaws that cannot be corrected post delivery?

Stuff like availability of water, coffee, vehicle charge, I'm not going to worry about that. If that mattered, I could find that at Audi.

@uclazn - sorry your car wasn't good to go. Tesla will have to fix it for redelivery or repurpose it. I hope the fit and finish for the next one works out for you.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and uclazn
Yeah seems these DS are just trying to pressure buyers to accept the car and drive off ASAP. Why would you possibly tell a customer buying a vehicle to accept the flaws bc the next one might be flawed also?!

I’ve owned many cars and none of which had any cosmetic issues like the one I saw on the M3 yesterday..

Yeah, wife and I were both dumbfounded by the statements coming out of these Tesla reps. They wouldn't even offer a service appointment for my sunken hood until i notice a paint drip on the side of the passenger door that definitely wasn't 'within spec'. I don't understand how some of these cars are being offered as delivery ready to customers when there are such glaring issues that needs a service appointment right away from the delivery center.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Tesla has doubled their production over the past year. They are now producing 1,000 cars a day. To do this they have resolved lots of issues with vehicle production.

Now that volume has moved to delivering 1,000 vehicles a day. New bottle necks will show up up paperwork, payments, change orders, scratches, finish blemishes etc. Will take a lot of people to handle the volume and address the problems. Elon has stated that they want excellent employees, but they are not easy to find.

Just think of how difficult it would be to charge 1,000 cars a day. Some are going to go out the door without a full charge. It is not good to fully 100% charge the batteries and let them sit for a long time. Probably best would be to charge them to around 80%, however the moment you unplug them that charge will slowly decrease due to vampire drain.

Last car I bought had a extra charge on the Moronie sticker with a $35 charge for 10 gallons of gas. At least Tesla does not charge for your your first charge..

You really only need enough charge to get you to a local Supercharger, where you can "test" out your charging system and get used to the process.

I understand that everyone wants a perfect car, but no car is perfect. You just need to see if the car is acceptable to you. If it is, then accept delivery. If not reject the car.

Tesla is aware of the situation, and is instituting new policies to address them. New delivery centers are being opened all around the world. Some local deliveries are now being done at the customers home or place of business to reduce the handling and storage that can add to the smudges. You might even get your car hand delivered by Elon himself. He is on the line right now, rolling up his sleeves and seeing the delivery protocol for himself.

I expect Tesla to get a hand on delivering this volume of cars in short order.

In the future, I see a day when the car will drive itself from the end of the assembly line directly to the customers chosen location via Autopilot. Customer will inspect the car and type in a PIN to acknowledge delivery or another PIN to sent it back for issues.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA