Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused M3 delivery Marina Del Rey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a bad experience, so sorry your big day was spoiled. I remember how excited I was when I picked up my car two years ago.
It's interesting that it started with an annoying wait. A lot of negative reviews of hotels one reads on tripadvisor, it basically boils down to being disrespected, with the faults of the product actually being not so serious, and probably would have been overlooked if the customer had had a good experience from the start.
Not saying this would made a difference in your case.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and uclazn
Just one thing on the 55% battery:
You’ll notice when you get a new phone that the battery is about half full in the box.
It’s the same with a Tesla, they keep around 50% to prolong the battery during transport.
It’s so cheap to charge you’re not really getting ripped off.

You’ll notice when you get a new phone that the battery is about half full in the box.
It’s the same with a Tesla, they keep around 50% to prolong the battery during transport.

Agree. However, many car buyers are used to getting a full tank of gas with a new car purchase. Perhaps Tesla should automatically comp the first charge at a supercharger for a new customer.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't see panel gaps coming up in reasonable ways. Honestly, there are slight variations one has to set out to find, but others who hung out on the internet, drumming up the idea Model 3 had all these problems, are now trying to make a reality of something that isn't. At this point, charging and living near a Service Center has afforded me a look at a good hundred Model 3's (6 performance models, at Dedham right now). I see maybe a millimeter's variation, in the hood to front apron gap, but that's it.

The internet is filled with drive-by posts. I'm not here to "vet" who I am replying to, but if you have 22 posts, or 12 posts, etc., you might not get the faith you deserve, for good reason. If you are in the UK, you probably haven't seen many 3's. Right?

Indeed. A distinct lack of Model 3s here, which is why I was talking generically across manufacturers.

Referring specifically to the Model 3, I have noticed a number of people complaining on here about headlight and bonnet alignment which is why I used that for an example. I certainly don't proclaim to be particularly knowledgeable, and I definitely do not have any kudos here as a new member.

My point was just that if you're not happy and you don't think that item 'x' is really within reasonable tolerances even if the delivery agent says it is, then don't accept.

I would guess that although it looks like a fairly large number of complaints on this forum, statistically compared to the amount of cars delivered, you are very right in saying that the majority are going to be just fine. If they weren't, I'd imagine the server this site is on would fall over very fast.

Reactions: PJFW8
Damn man, when have you ever bought a car without looking it over and taking a test drive?
In 2003, when I purchased a brand-new Nissan 350Z. The dealer had 5 in stock, and a friend and I went there, and we each found the car we wanted. They were selling for MSRP, whereas the other dealers in the area with less stock on-hand were selling them for a few grand above MSRP. We got to look at them and sit in them, but we didn't get to drive them until we had bought them.

Honda did the same thing with the S2000.

Reactions: uclazn
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I took delivery in Costa Mesa on Friday. Pretty seamless process. Found a couple of things that they will take care of at the service center. No major scratches or paint issues. The drive is something else!!!

Im pretty sure your next car will be flawless. You’ll definitely love it when you get behind the wheel!

And about the VIN.. it doesn’t correlate with the manufacture date. I had the same concern since ppl are getting 40xxx-50xxx VIN ranges... So I asked the customer service and they told me that my 36xxx VIN and my build date is 7/20/18!

Similar bad experience for me today. Waitlisted February and configured June. Sold my car (Acura TL through Shift) on Friday and ready to take deliver 3:45pm today at Marina Del Rey.

They got me in at 3:30 to fill out paperwork for 20 minutes and then took me to my car. Congratulations! I looked at the car and said the salesman “I ordered black”. They had somehow delivered me a metallic blue M3.

The guy was clueless. Back and forth he went to talk to the front and then his manager. I waited for another 15 minutes and at that point I told them I’ll take the blue even though I don’t like it, but I’m not paying the extra $1,000. See they got me; I already sold my car and already Ubered to work and then to Marina del Rey (costing me $40 total). If I didn’t have a car, Uber would cost me $50/day to go round trip for work. Sales guy disappears for another 5 minutes and says the manger rejected my deal. I would have to pay the $1,000 upcharge for the blue. My options were to do that or take my chances calling Tesla customer care. He said worst case, I would have to order a new M3 (he was serious). No loaner.

Thankfully one of the salesladies called me a Lyft back to the office and told me to call my coordinator. She thanked me for not yelling at anyone.

So my coordinator told me they would do their best to track me down a black M3 and she thinks it may take a week, but no promises.

Not what I expected when I woke up his morning.
WAIT!!! Tesla screws up and they want to CHARGE you for their f*ckup?? You need to be tweeting Musk. That is insane! Somewhere in these threads or on M3OC someone who ordered a blue car walked in and found their car was black. Even the window sticker says the car is supposed to be blue. Maybe you guys can switch cars?

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I took delivery in Costa Mesa on Friday. Pretty seamless process. Found a couple of things that they will take care of at the service center. No major scratches or paint issues. The drive is something else!!!

Im pretty sure your next car will be flawless. You’ll definitely love it when you get behind the wheel!

And about the VIN.. it doesn’t correlate with the manufacture date. I had the same concern since ppl are getting 40xxx-50xxx VIN ranges... So I asked the customer service and they told me that my 36xxx VIN and my build date is 7/20/18!
To be sure, look at your window sticker and the VIN plate inside the driver door frame. If they both say 07/18 at least you know you have a July car for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Somewhat similar experience at Rocklin Service Center. I made 2 reservations on 3.31.16 and friends of mine used one to order RWD, Blue/black (standard build, nothing fancy) and I used the other to order PAWD (home delivery Thursday 8.2, update to come). I have been a Tesla owner since 2012 and my PAWD is my sixth Tesla so far and I know the routine, pay in haste, regret in leisure, but I digress. My friends checked in (very very slow, hardly anyone picking up,Wednesday doldrums?) and yet still took about 45 minutes for a DS to approach them with the paperwork. However, before she showed up, I mooched around the lot (109 degrees, yes it was hot) to see if I could find the car and perform a pre-delivery inspection. Luckily, it was being charged under a canopy and I found a quarter size paint defect and, curiously, the gasket on the passenger door was not attached properly thereby interfering with the door opening and closing. Nothing else seemed amiss, but nonetheless, I went inside and told them what I found. Not 2 minutes later, the DS approached and said the car was detailed (some guy wiping it with a rag) and fully inspected (by a blind man I think). When my friend informed her of the problems, she was to say the least embarrassed and proffered two options, take the car now and come back for repairs, or leave car for repairs (both options predicated on taking delivery of car and paying for it). At that point I suggested just get a new car (would take about 4 - 6 weeks). She actually agreed since my friend still had his cashiers check in hand, providing the greatest leverage.
Moral of the story is DO NOT PAY until you have inspected the car, if you have to mooch around the lot while waiting, then do it and don't let anyone tell you no. My Performance is scheduled for home delivery (actually to my detailer to fix the paint and wrap it) on Thursday, I am paying with a cashiers check which will only be handed over AFTER my detailer gives it a thorough inspection.

Moral of the story is DO NOT PAY until you have inspected the car, if you have to mooch around the lot while waiting, then do it and don't let anyone tell you no. My Performance is scheduled for home delivery (actually to my detailer to fix the paint and wrap it) on Thursday, I am paying with a cashiers check which will only be handed over AFTER my detailer gives it a thorough inspection.

Nice.. we have a badass over here. Make sure detailer doesn't run out of batteries for the paint depth sensor.

Tesla has bought back Model X's after tons of time in the shop under lemon or proactiv buybacks.
Tesla also burns $9,000 / minute.

The idea that 1 out of 1000 deliveries where someone withholds a $60,000K check from Tesla thinking they have any kind of leverage I find amusing.

It's one thing to reject a car because there is a major issue not addressable post delivery but thinking Tesla is going to screw you is ridiculous. If you don't trust them, don't buy the car.

A car that looks perfect visually, can become unperfect minutes after its taken off the lot. The same people you don't trust to fix your scratch, you are going to depend on to replace your battery pack, motor, drive unit, falcon wing door mechanisms, etc, etc.

Anyone I've gotten to know at Tesla on more than surface level have been good people and do the best they can to take care of the customers.

Last edited:
MXWing: "The idea that 1 out of 1000 deliveries where someone withholds a $60,000K check from Tesla thinking they have any kind of leverage I find amusing."

Instead of being a sucker and sheepishly taking whatever is handed to you, try it sometime, leverage I mean, or didn't you think of it. TM just got back to me in less than a week with new VIN and delivery date and will deliver to my home and allow me to inspect prior to actually signing docs. Funny how $60,000 motivates.

MXWing: "The idea that 1 out of 1000 deliveries where someone withholds a $60,000K check from Tesla thinking they have any kind of leverage I find amusing."

Instead of being a sucker and sheepishly taking whatever is handed to you, try it sometime, leverage I mean, or didn't you think of it. TM just got back to me in less than a week with new VIN and delivery date and will deliver to my home and allow me to inspect prior to actually signing docs. Funny how $60,000 motivates.

I'm checking out my Model 3 later this week which I may or may not accept. It's nothing about being a sucker or taking whatever is handed to me.

Tesla no doubt is going to try and move as many cars as they can. Of course they want to make sales, even to people who think they are creating extra motivation for Tesla. Pressure is on enough as it is anyway.

The point that is being missed is you are going to need to trust Tesla after the sale is made. Expecting quality and not being a hardass is not mutually exclusive.

What leverage did I have over Tesla when new Model X's were 1 second faster than mine? NONE. I HAD THE CAR FOR EIGHT MONTHS. Tesla updated mine to make it faster, and gave me a Tesla loaner to run errands at no cost. Almost 2 years later when I'm ready to add a second Tesla to the family, I'm going to hold a check over their head?

How much does it cost by the way to buy 1 second faster?

Up to 11,000 on the Model 3.

Last edited:
I take delivery at Marina Del Rey this Saturday. I hope everything goes fairly pain free. I notice on my MVPA that the odometer is marked as 50 miles? Is that normal? My VIN is high 51XXX.

I'll be paying my down with cashiers check. I'm still sorting out my credit union (they want a signed MVPA) so I don't know yet if the financed portion will be with electronic payment or check.

I take delivery at Marina Del Rey this Saturday. I hope everything goes fairly pain free. I notice on my MVPA that the odometer is marked as 50 miles? Is that normal? My VIN is high 51XXX.

I'll be paying my down with cashiers check. I'm still sorting out my credit union (they want a signed MVPA) so I don't know yet if the financed portion will be with electronic payment or check.

Yes.. 50 is listed on every MVPA.

I got shocked, outraged and angry when I saw it for my upcoming Model 3.

and then calmed down when I remembered it was 50 on my first Tesla's MVPA..

and 50 on everyone else's MVPA. :D

My paper work initially said 50 also. It’s a number they put in case they need to drive/ transport it. Guess it’s the max milage allow maybe? But in reality the odo showed 9 miles.

+1....new Tesla owner so probably doesn't know that for battery health a full charge is recommended only with caveats. Lots of discussion on this forum re: right approach.

re: "mileage"--also, discussed numerous times on TMC. That's an arbitrary number set by Tesla....my two X's both had less than 10 miles when delivered but 50 on paperwork (same with my son's Feb. Model 3 delivery)