Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused M3 delivery Marina Del Rey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm checking out my Model 3 later this week which I may or may not accept. It's nothing about being a sucker or taking whatever is handed to me.

Tesla no doubt is going to try and move as many cars as they can. Of course they want to make sales, even to people who think they are creating extra motivation for Tesla. Pressure is on enough as it is anyway.

The point that is being missed is you are going to need to trust Tesla after the sale is made. Expecting quality and not being a hardass is not mutually exclusive.

What leverage did I have over Tesla when new Model X's were 1 second faster than mine? NONE. I HAD THE CAR FOR EIGHT MONTHS. Tesla updated mine to make it faster, and gave me a Tesla loaner to run errands at no cost. Almost 2 years later when I'm ready to add a second Tesla to the family, I'm going to hold a check over their head?

How much does it cost by the way to buy 1 second faster?

Up to 11,000 on the Model 3.
I guess you missed the part about the Model 3 being my sixth Tesla since 2012, so lack of trust is not an issue.

Reactions: neroden and bro1999
Going to pick up my M3 this Saturday, 8/18@9am. So I have the right to my cashier's check if I refuse delivery due to defects? I may have missed it, but I thought someone on this thread said that Tesla gets to keep it and they'll just order you another vehicle. Is there like a legal rule to this? BTW, will someone from the Marina call me a day or 2 ahead of delivery? My first, and only point of contact doesn't reply to email. I guess her job is done after she emailed me the instructions for pickup. I wanted to request a full charge if possible. I live 2.5 hours away and I will definitely be blasting my AC on the way home.

Reactions: neroden
Going to pick up my M3 this Saturday, 8/18@9am. So I have the right to my cashier's check if I refuse delivery due to defects? I may have missed it, but I thought someone on this thread said that Tesla gets to keep it and they'll just order you another vehicle. Is there like a legal rule to this? BTW, will someone from the Marina call me a day or 2 ahead of delivery? My first, and only point of contact doesn't reply to email. I guess her job is done after she emailed me the instructions for pickup. I wanted to request a full charge if possible. I live 2.5 hours away and I will definitely be blasting my AC on the way home.

**UPDATE** I did return the day after I rejected my Tesla to retrieve my cashiers check. They handed it back without any issues. 5 days later I got a call that my second Model 3 had arrived. I went on that following Sunday, handed them the same cashiers check and took delivery. Were there paint flaw on the new M3? Yes there were minor flaws, not enough for me to reject as it was significantly better than the first one they tried to pawn off on me.

I took it to a clear bra place this weekend and the guy told me nearly every since M3 had some kind of paint flaw to them. So just expect some flaws in the paint so youre not surprised or disappointed.

Oh also the second M3 was delivered with 90% battery!! :)

Last edited:
FYI...my order was canceled yesterday. Reason was that they were going to inspect all cars so that they can pass inspection. I guess Tesla has been reading up on these forums and really have some quality control issues to take care of. Thanks for all of you who didn't put up with $hit.

Did they give you a time estimate on how long it would take to do all that? I was supposed to take delivery on the 13th but that came and gone and now I have no delivery date and no one can tell me how long it will take.

**UPDATE** I did return the day after I rejected my Tesla to retrieve my cashiers check. They handed it back without any issues. 5 days later I got a call that my second Model 3 had arrived. I went on that following Sunday, handed them the same cashiers check and took delivery. Were there paint flaw on the new M3? Yes there were minor flaws, not enough for me to reject as it was significantly better than the first one they tried to pawn off on me.

I took it to a clear bra place this weekend and the guy told me nearly every since M3 had some kind of paint flaw to them. So just expect some flaws in the paint so youre not surprised or disappointed.

Oh also the second M3 was delivered with 90% battery!! :)

I kinda wish I did the same and refused delivery. Same Marina del Ray delivery, dirty car, foot prints in trunk (how the hell does that happen...), scratched charge port door. And many, many paint defects! Fast forward to today, they are going to repaint my entire car. Guess it’s better than risking another bad Tesla paint job? Who knows...

Last edited:
  • Informative
I kinda wish I did the same and refused delivery. Same Marina del Ray delivery, dirty car, door prints in trunk, scratched barge port door. And many, many paint defects! Fast forward to today, they are going to repaint my entire car again. Guess it’s better than risking another bad Tesla paint job? Who knows...

Can you share details? What were the paint defects?

Repainting your car TWICE seems crazy. They use watercolor or something?

• Love
Reactions: Eddyrelik
Can you share details? What were the paint defects?

Repainting your car TWICE seems crazy. They use watercolor or something?

Edited my post, quite a few typos haha.

Well, they’re repainting for first time, but yes would be second time painted after Factory of course. Here’s a link to my thread. There were a lot of contaminants under the paint. I have a few different posts with pics, scroll through to see...it was bad, even a hair under the paint in the door sill!

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

Edited my post, quite a few typos haha.

Well, they’re repainting for first time, but yes would be second time painted after Factory of course. Here’s a link to my thread. There were a lot of contaminants under the paint. I have a few different posts with pics, scroll through to see...it was bad, even a hair under the paint in the door sill!

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

Having a brand new car repainted is a terrible idea. Nothing a local body shop can do is on par with what they do at the factory.

Good luck.

Did they give you a time estimate on how long it would take to do all that? I was supposed to take delivery on the 13th but that came and gone and now I have no delivery date and no one can tell me how long it will take.

Naw...no time frame at all. The point of contact from Vegas told me the car pass inspection, but has to wait for I don't know what. Delivery service guy told me that their intention is for me to have the same car with the given vin#. I hope the defects aren't to severe. I ordered a white, LR RWD model. Vin 574xx. Good luck with yours.

I kinda wish I did the same and refused delivery. Same Marina del Ray delivery, dirty car, foot prints in trunk (how the hell does that happen...), scratched charge port door. And many, many paint defects! Fast forward to today, they are going to repaint my entire car. Guess it’s better than risking another bad Tesla paint job? Who knows...

WTF? That's the first I have heard for any new car. I guess Tesla isn't going to make any money off your car. *sugar*, if I was Tesla, I would of just given you a discount. Would the lemon law apply to you?

WTF? That's the first I have heard for any new car. I guess Tesla isn't going to make any money off your car. *sugar*, if I was Tesla, I would of just given you a discount. Would the lemon law apply to you?

Yeah. I’ve heard of panels being repainted with one or two defects....but this is crazy.....but I’m glad it’s an entire repaint and not a patchy fix.

Guess their reputation/customer service is very important to them which is great. The tech manager said it clearly, they don’t advertise. They 100% depend on their customers to represent and market their product.

So with this issue being so large they are doing something significant to try to make it right. Sure I’m a bit skeptic of the result, but at this point why not let them try and see how it looks...

The body shop does high end cars, I talked to them and they told me a story of a brand new week old $500k Bentley that guy took to a Dodger game and it was completely keyed after the game! They had to repaint the entire car, and guy was happy....so...

The body shop does high end cars, I talked to them and they told me a story of a brand new week old $500k Bentley that guy took to a Dodger game and it was completely keyed after the game! They had to repaint the entire car, and guy was happy....so...

Giants fan? :D

J/k.. but man something like that needs full xpel wrap and possibly a butler to sit in it during the game.

Even if given a free Bently, the insurance and maintenance would break you. Guess the 500 dollar deductible to repaint is not that serious.

Glad the Model 3 will be as ubiquitous as a Prius so no one will care.

So what exactly happens when someone refuses delivery. Can Tesla keep the deposit and say the damages are within normal limits? Or are they obligated to produce a car that should be considered in new condition? I am looking a having my X delivered soon, just want to know what would happen if I did run into some issues. Thanks!