Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refusing Delivery at Remote Pickup Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I just placed an order for my first Tesla for the refreshed Model S. This won't be coming up for a while since my estimated delivery is September (yeah, sure) but I figured I'd see if anyone's experienced this and what they did.

I'm in Oklahoma City, and on the order form, I only had the choice of Kansas City or St. Louis, which are either 5 or 7.5 hours drive away. Has anyone had experience with picking one up from quite a distance away only to refuse delivery for quality control issues? If so, what did you do? Go back empty handed and make another trip? Find accommodations and stay while they patched things up?

Is Home Delivery not an option anymore? I was 5 hours away from Atlanta and they brought the vehicle to my driveway. Also I will warn you. My vehicle came with temp plates from GA and I live in FL. It was almost 6 weeks till I got my title. My temp was set to expire. I had to transfer GA title to FL and then transfer my plate. This is even with me saying I was transferring a plate on purchase. My insurance said my insurance on the vehicle was expiring in 30 days since my temp plate was from GA but I lived in FL. I was VERY irritated with Tesla!!

M

@slainla That is what I figured

@Gadget-X Since I last put this post up, I sent a message to the rep at the OKC gallery. Although the option for home delivery wasn't on my order page (said that they don't deliver to my address yet), they said they could mark it on the back end to have it delivered for $750 dollars.

At which point now I am wondering whether I'd be able to refuse home delivery in case I need to. I assume I would be out of the $750 on top of the ~$1000 destination + doc fee.

Man that seems weird. You are like 3 hrs away from Dallas which I figure is a big truck hub. I was like 6 hours away from Atlanta. Tesla seems to nickel and dime you to death these days. They did not charge any more for our home delivery.

I will say after my home delivery experience if I had it to do all over again I would take a cheap round trip plane ticket and fly to a delivery center. Uber from airport. Right out refuse a big issue vehicle.

Good luck. I personally do not like the Tesla buying experience.

M

Reactions: gmo43
I bought mine 11/2020 and I'm in Tulsa. Had to go to Kansas city and get it.

I spoke with the SC just a few weeks ago about that because I thought it was something to do with the Pandemic. I was told it is because of our dealership laws here in OK and they are working on getting a law change like they did in Texas. For now there is no way they can deliver in OK is what I was told.

I'd double check that the person you talked to was correct about home delivery. I was told in November initially that they would deliver by someone I talked to at the SC but my adviser once I purchased said that wasn't true.

As for refusal, no experience there. If you think you may refuse it you should just have a contingency. I rented a one way car rental and figured I'd rent another car to go home if I wasn't happy.

They are real good about documenting things you have an issue with and scheduling repair at the SC at a later date. Unless you find some issue that is not fixable you will probably take possession and get it sorted out later at the SC. Just my .02.

Im in OKC, and took delivery in KCMO... Was to be ready for a Friday Morning June the 25th pickup. My flight got to KCMO about 1:00 PM on Thursday, the 24th. In speaking to the delivery center in KC, a saleperson, or what ever you call the customer helpers at the Tesla Gallery/DeliveryCenter/Service Center, went well beyond anything that struck me as minimal, when, after I told him I was going to rent a car to run around KC Thursday afternoon, and ask him if there was a car rental place close to the Tesla facility, he offerd to have Tesla pay for an Uber from the Airport to the delivery center (Kansas City's Airport is 20+ Miles miles north of the Tesla facility.

As if that wasn't enough he also got the car ready for delivery by 5:00 PM or so on that Thursday. So I got the car 17-18 hours earlier than I thought. I already had a motel in South KC, so I went ahead and spent the night got up early and did my first road trip... home...... Car had no issues that stuck out enough, or at all for me to have them even look at anything.

The worst thing that happened to me since I've had the car is driving my work truck for 4 days while I was getting PPF, and a few other thing done to set mine apart... Nothing like driving a 2004 Dodge Caravan w 145K, and a saggy headliner, to make one appreciate a new Model 3!!

In addition to the clear bra on the snout, and rocker pannels I got the roof pillars done in black PPF, painted the mirror caps Black, added black gloss faux carbon fibre splashguards, and spoiler, and red caliper covers... And the coolest accesory I added was the Model Designation badge on the back of the trunk, where normally an SR+ is quite naked... So My Model 3 is a Limited Edition SpaceX variant... If anyone asks, I tell them, that it only has one Motor, and is rear wheel drive only, but it might have a couple of thrusters behind the Licence Plate....

Model 3 SpaceX edition.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds cool. How do you like the white/white combo? I’ve got an order in for a new S with those same colors. Was debating the cream interior - and am still arguing with myself over the choice. Glad you had such a positive experience!
The only thing about the white interior in the model 3 is that the dash bar reflects on the door windows, and when it's sunny it's near impossible to see out of the exterior rear view mirrors. One could always get a real or faux carbon fibre dash bar cover, in flat black... but I like the looks of the white bar... So I did this (See pict.) with some dark grey lizard pattern faux suede.. I just randomly found the alligator looking pattern.. rather had alcantera.. but this was cheap.. and it works perfectly and most of the dash bar remains white..
DriversSide.png
PassengerSide06_03_2021.png
I used double sidedpeel off stuff that can come off easily enough, but the colorblends so well with alcantera in the door inserts that, only a tesla head whould know it wasn't stock..

Thanks. I’ve got the white interior in my 2020 M3, and haven’t noticed that issue with the rear view mirrors (and we get lots of sun in New Mexico). Did I read that Elon wants to replace those mirrors with camera views? If so, that would eliminate the glare issue you refer to.

Im in OKC, and took delivery in KCMO... Was to be ready for a Friday Morning June the 25th pickup. My flight got to KCMO about 1:00 PM on Thursday, the 24th. In speaking to the delivery center in KC, a saleperson, or what ever you call the customer helpers at the Tesla Gallery/DeliveryCenter/Service Center, went well beyond anything that struck me as minimal, when, after I told him I was going to rent a car to run around KC Thursday afternoon, and ask him if there was a car rental place close to the Tesla facility, he offerd to have Tesla pay for an Uber from the Airport to the delivery center (Kansas City's Airport is 20+ Miles miles north of the Tesla facility.

As if that wasn't enough he also got the car ready for delivery by 5:00 PM or so on that Thursday. So I got the car 17-18 hours earlier than I thought. I already had a motel in South KC, so I went ahead and spent the night got up early and did my first road trip... home...... Car had no issues that stuck out enough, or at all for me to have them even look at anything.

The worst thing that happened to me since I've had the car is driving my work truck for 4 days while I was getting PPF, and a few other thing done to set mine apart... Nothing like driving a 2004 Dodge Caravan w 145K, and a saggy headliner, to make one appreciate a new Model 3!!

In addition to the clear bra on the snout, and rocker pannels I got the roof pillars done in black PPF, painted the mirror caps Black, added black gloss faux carbon fibre splashguards, and spoiler, and red caliper covers... And the coolest accesory I added was the Model Designation badge on the back of the trunk, where normally an SR+ is quite naked... So My Model 3 is a Limited Edition SpaceX variant... If anyone asks, I tell them, that it only has one Motor, and is rear wheel drive only, but it might have a couple of thrusters behind the Licence Plate....

View attachment 693884
Looks great. Who did your PPF in OKC and would you recommend them? I’m debating whether to try to find someone to put it on after taking delivery in KC or wait until I get back home to OKC.