Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refusing delivery due to quality issues, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
So, I've been thinking about this a bit. 16 years ago I had to refuse delivery of a new car I had ordered due to quality problems. I inspected the car at the dealership after it had arrived and been prepped and found numerous issues with the fitment of body panels and paint quality.

The dealership agreed that the car "could be better" and their offered mitigations (after talking to corporate) included sending the brand new car to their body shop to be "tweaked" as well as additional financial incentives.

At the end of the day though, I walked. I didn't want to spend (at the time over $30,000) a lot of money on a vehicle I knew I would never be 100% happy with.

What are the options in a similar situation with Tesla? While it's understandable that many owners, after waiting 2+ years for their car will overlook any minor imperfections in the excitement of taking delivery.... some of us might find faults that we can't live with.

In some states (mine's one of them) there is a 48 hour cooling off period on any loans and you CAN return that brand new car you bought, even if you signed the contract... you will just be out mileage costs.

Thoughts?

Flame-suit on.

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
Many, but the one that comes to mind first:

Don't finalize payment on-line in advance. It's my understanding that you can bring a bank draft with you to the SC when you pick up your vehicle. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Interesting idea. Is it your assertion then that if you finalize payment in advance and the finished product is unacceptable to you that there is no (legal) way to back out of the delivery?

Interesting idea. Is it your assertion then that if you finalize payment in advance and the finished product is unacceptable to you that there is no (legal) way to back out of the delivery?

I don't know about the legalities, but in short...they already have your money. Even if you can get it back (which I would guess you can), I don't know how long it would take or how convoluted the process would be.

There are also stories on this forum about people finalizing payment online, and then the car is delayed in delivery. Not sure why anyone would give them the money early. Requiring someone to do so seems sketchy on the part of a company.

Inspect. Pay or walk.

I don't know about the legalities, but in short...they already have your money. Even if you can get it back (which I would guess you can), I don't know how long it would take or how convoluted the process would be.

There are also stories on this forum about people finalizing payment online, and then the car is delayed in delivery. Not sure why anyone would give them the money early. Requiring someone to do so seems sketchy on the part of a company.

Inspect. Pay or walk.
I intend on doing the same and even making a video of it so that if there is confusion later, I can reference it.

There was someone who refused delivery of their Model X recently due to issues noted during the delivery process. I can't find the thread now though.

It should be possible to refuse delivery if there are things you aren't comfortable with.

I agree with the others to not pay fully in advance either. A few folks have been burned with long delivery times after paying in full when they were prompted to by Tesla. Since Tesla had their money, there wasn't a lot they could do about it other than wait for the car.

I thought Tesla gives you a 3-day purchase guarantee... Not so much 3 days to get your money back, but rather 3 days to apply the money to another vehicle instead. Could be wrong...

But there's always lemon laws, too, for delivery problems that don't or can't get fixed.

I think that we will have an easier time if we, as forum members, immediately start posting things we notice with the car so that others who have later delivery dates know what to look out for.

Also if Tesla hears the feedback, any issues might be fixed on those cars delivered later in the queue.

Reactions: NoTDI
Get your hands on a copy of 'Owning Model S by Nick Howe (2nd Edition)'. Even though it is for the MS, he has an in-depth check list you can use when picking up your vehicle. Most items should apply to M3 as well. Also a good read for those who are first time Tesla buyers.

Reactions: NoTDI
So, I've been thinking about this a bit. 16 years ago I had to refuse delivery of a new car I had ordered due to quality problems. I inspected the car at the dealership after it had arrived and been prepped and found numerous issues with the fitment of body panels and paint quality.

The dealership agreed that the car "could be better" and their offered mitigations (after talking to corporate) included sending the brand new car to their body shop to be "tweaked" as well as additional financial incentives.

At the end of the day though, I walked. I didn't want to spend (at the time over $30,000) a lot of money on a vehicle I knew I would never be 100% happy with.

What are the options in a similar situation with Tesla? While it's understandable that many owners, after waiting 2+ years for their car will overlook any minor imperfections in the excitement of taking delivery.... some of us might find faults that we can't live with.

In some states (mine's one of them) there is a 48 hour cooling off period on any loans and you CAN return that brand new car you bought, even if you signed the contract... you will just be out mileage costs.

Thoughts?

Flame-suit on.
No need for "Flame Suit", you make a valid point. To this day I do not know how the whole "payment" thing will take place and I would be concerned about paying in full for something I have not even "seen".

I think that we will have an easier time if we, as forum members, immediately start posting things we notice with the car so that others who have later delivery dates know what to look out for.

Also if Tesla hears the feedback, any issues might be fixed on those cars delivered later in the queue.
As someone in Ohio, I will be eagerly awaiting the reports from those on the west coast who will be the first to take delivery. Hopefully we see a theme before I have to commit the $2500 or do to place the actual order.

I'm assuming you're in the US. The laws vary by state so this isn't the best place to ask about a legal out. You'd have to have understanding of the laws in your state to fall back on just in case.

As far as Tesla's actual response, this also isn't the best place to ask since no one has taken delivery in a 3 yet. Try the S or X sections.

We bought our MX and had the same concerns as several people here posted especially after hearing of issues with the doors. We had never seen a Model X other than fleeting glances at one passing by on a highway.
Being an owner of two Teslas thus far, I can confidently say that the experience is very much in favor of the customer. The entire dealing is unlike what you may have been conditioned by years of automotive dealers tactics.
When your SC receives your vehicle from the factory, they run it through their own checklist and so you wouldn't expect the vehicle to have any major flaws and anything minor would get added to the Due Bill and fixed under the warranty. However, they don't force you to accept delivery unless you are satisfied.
That being said I hope M3 will be closer to MS than MX which has some very complicated technologies in use for its doors and hence the reason for a large number of issues.