Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refusing Delivery What are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MY last week and due to being in a rush to leave for a meeting I asked my SA if I needed to check everything on the car while I was there or if I could still refuse delivery after checking at home. I was initially told I had 3 days / 100 Miles to refuse delivery.

So I get home and and do my checklist search and find some Cosmetic Issues. I let my SA know immediately and send him my list of issues. He tells me to just schedule a Service Appointment which I do but it's not for another week. So I went in today after letting the SA know that I'm concerned that if some of the major issues are not resolved I won't have a chance to refuse delivery and I want to make sure they are documented. (see my attached list of issues with pictures)

We do this today and he tells me I can no longer refuse delivery since I've already signed for the car and that Tesla no longer has it's 7 day return policy as that changed 3 days after I ordered on Oct.15th!

The Service Department explains that they will fix one of the major paint flaw but some of the smaller chips will be touched up with paint and that the panel gaps I had were within spec. So I'm really not happy at all as the rear hatch and taillights have to me what are significant alignment issues.

Is it true that you can only refuse delivery the day you go to receive the car? I was not even offered to see the car first I had to sign the paper work before they would bring it out. Kind of lost for words here. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Tesla - Issues.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
So was there a difference in "Refusing Delivery" vs the return policy? I don't think my issues are completely horrid but they still seem unacceptable for a new car. Just thinking now that Tesla can literally give you a car in terrible shape and now you are stuck with it. Is there now no option to even refuse delivery on pickup?

So was there a difference in "Refusing Delivery" vs the return policy? I don't think my issues are completely horrid but they still seem unacceptable for a new car. Just thinking now that Tesla can literally give you a car in terrible shape and now you are stuck with it. Is there now no option to even refuse delivery on pickup?

Yes, there is a difference in refusing delivery and the return policy. Refusing delivery = "I am not signing the paperwork to take that car". You never take it off the lot. Return policy = I want to bring this thing I bought back.

Gotcha JJrandorin .. I guess I was duped then. I was never able to see the car prior to signing the paper work. They only brought the car out to me after my paperwork was completed. I do hope the SC resolves most of my issues but like I said, they've already set my expectations they just about every Panel gap won't be resolved. I'm pretty heated right now so I'll take the night to rest on it and see how things go at the Service Center.

Reactions: Lubestaff
So was there a difference in "Refusing Delivery" vs the return policy? I

I've heard of people refusing delivery even after signing the paperwork, but not once you drive the vehicle off the lot. At that point you have accepted delivery and it is yours. At that point you would have to return, assuming your order was placed while they still had a return policy.

Gotcha JJrandorin .. I guess I was duped then. I was never able to see the car prior to signing the paper work. They only brought the car out to me after my paperwork was completed. I do hope the SC resolves most of my issues but like I said, they've already set my expectations they just about every Panel gap won't be resolved. I'm pretty heated right now so I'll take the night to rest on it and see how things go at the Service Center.
You weren't duped. You signed paperwork and remitted payment for a vehicle you never laid eyes on. That's a lapse in judgment or a mistake. Knowing these cars are being delivered with cosmetic issues or worse, why would you accept the car sight unseen?

As difficult as this may be, this is a lesson learned. Be better next time.

You weren't duped. You signed paperwork and remitted payment for a vehicle you never laid eyes on. That's a lapse in judgment or a mistake. Knowing these cars are being delivered with cosmetic issues or worse, why would you accept the car sight unseen?

As difficult as this may be, this is a lesson learned. Be better next time.

I agree with this post. It's def not worth rushing and sign the paperwork before seeing the car especially when you know the car may not be good to accept delivery. We told the sales person that we will do the paperwork after seeing the car in person. No problem with that and she made sure the car was detailed the right way after seeing how picky I was. haha

Reactions: SmartElectric
Giving OP a sense of false hope there. They will likely not fix all the issues. No matter how “nice” he is.

SC and the SA you deal with play a huge role.

I've had crappy SAs that say everything is within spec, but once I found a SA who actually cared he got everything I wanted fixed. Paint, alignments, dents, were all covered under warranty. YMMV

SC and the SA you deal with play a huge role.

I've had crappy SAs that say everything is within spec, but once I found a SA who actually cared he got everything I wanted fixed. Paint, alignments, dents, were all covered under warranty. YMMV
I agree that it can also come down to a roll of the dice. But again, this is not something anyone should have to deal with.

Varying the level of customer service based on personality or luck is almost as bad as the “it’s within spec” excuse.

Crazy and hard to believe that they wouldn't let you see your vehicle prior to signing paperwork!! That to me would have been a red flag!

Sorry you're going thru this - it's really frustrating. I would just be adamant about the SC fixing everything they can. If the panel gaps annoy you, I'd take it somewhere to get them fixed - it's a small price to pay for your happiness. The shop that did my PPF had a tech that specializes in auto repair - he mentioned he had helped other Tesla owners with better alignment of panels... maybe you can find a shop in your area...

I was never able to see the car prior to signing the paper work. They only brought the car out to me after my paperwork was completed
Lesson for next time. Don't sign without seeing the car. You don't have to be impolite and it's fine to save time by going over the paperwork while you wait for the car. Just don't actually sign anything until you've seen and inspected it.

Reactions: jpfive