Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refuting Claims of other Manufactures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In reply to Doug G

#by this logic Gibson guitars are not made in the USA since they use foreign sourced hardwood? - given that it is already seasoned and cut? At what point does a battery become a part or a commodity.

Just thinking aloud. I am sure that by any reasonable criteria that Tesla Model S is made in the USA. What were the rules for importing the Roadster into Canada?

In reply to Doug G

#by this logic Gibson guitars are not made in the USA since they use foreign sourced hardwood? - given that it is already seasoned and cut? At what point does a battery become a part or a commodity.

Just thinking aloud. I am sure that by any reasonable criteria that Tesla Model S is made in the USA. What were the rules for importing the Roadster into Canada?

I paid 6.1% import duty, which was included in the Canadian price for the Roadster.

As for the guitars it depends on what percentage of the cost of making it was foreign sourced. If for example there's a lot of labour required it could be majority made-in-USA.

Is that by part count or by weight? The entire body and drivetrain are made in USA. I suspect the interior as well (seats, etc.) but not the controls since they are MB.

Little tidbit I heard: the seats are made by an outside firm, but it was cost effective for them to set up shop _within_ the Tesla factory.
Sometimes it becomes a little blurry as to exactly who makes what. If you have your contract firm work within your facility it is almost like doing it yourself.

Little tidbit I heard: the seats are made by an outside firm, but it was cost effective for them to set up shop _within_ the Tesla factory.
Sometimes it becomes a little blurry as to exactly who makes what. If you have your contract firm work within your facility it is almost like doing it yourself.

Heyyy... I heard that tidbit, too. :) It's cheaper to ship the seats as components (can fit more into the same space than fully configured seats), so Tesla leases the space in the factory to their supplier to finish the work after it arrives at the factory. And of course if there are any fit issues, any rework required, whatever ... it can be fixed on the spot instead of rejecting, sending back, etc.

A company that I do a lot of work for does this also. They have a plastic blow and injection molder produce parts on their site.

Ghosn said it best: "Every day they don't start is a good day for Tesla". Well, okay he said Nissan, but the point is clear. As long as the other manufacturers don't recognize Tesla as competition, they won't be actively working on any similar products.

That depends on how you look at it. Elon has said many times that the goal of Tesla is to speed up the adoption of electric cars on this planet. If Tesla can cause the world to go electric 10 years earlier than it would have, Elon would be thrilled. The only way for this to happen, though, is for all of the other auto makers to make electric cars too. So whenever another company makes an EV (even though some might see it as competition for Tesla), Elon is happy for planet Earth. And I am too.

That depends on how you look at it. Elon has said many times that the goal of Tesla is to speed up the adoption of electric cars on this planet. If Tesla can cause the world to go electric 10 years earlier than it would have, Elon would be thrilled. The only way for this to happen, though, is for all of the other auto makers to make electric cars too. So whenever another company makes an EV (even though some might see it as competition for Tesla), Elon is happy for planet Earth. And I am too.

While I agree in the long run, Tesla first has to prove that you can earn money making premium segment electric cars without federal and state rebates. Then the other manufacturers will start to flock in.

While I agree in the long run, Tesla first has to prove that you can earn money making premium segment electric cars without federal and state rebates. Then the other manufacturers will start to flock in.

It looks like Nissan will have to hold true to your statement as well. This bit of information was found on Wikipedia:
USDOE announced in 2009 $8 billion in conditional loan agreements for Ford Motor Company; Nissan North America, Inc.; and Tesla Motors, Inc. to fund the development of advanced vehicle technologies.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Vehicles_Manufacturing_Loan_Program

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...any-ev-sells-61-units-in-september-50257.html

Sorry for the double post. Toyota seems to be play fast and loose with the facts.

I think all three of Tesla's models can match that number.

Show some
respect respect respect respect respect respect respect respect respect respect respect respect

Wasn't June 2012 the first month of the Model S, and only "sold" about a dozen units?
Are you counting reservations as sales? Or people who paid in full for the car long before they were delivered - did Tesla really get 61 of those in the first month it was possible?