Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reg Plate Prefix depends which location you buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, soo sorry if this is listed somewhere but when I purchased my Model S the old Gatwick branch was allocated GY** V** registration numbers and I was told that depending on location would depend on the prefix. Does anyone know what Dartford and Heathrow use for their prefix as would like to know what reg I might get if another purchase was made, thanks everyone

traditional car dealers have a physical address and when they register cars they end up with a number where the first 2 digits match the geographic region where the dealer is located. If you want the full list it can be found here:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...stration-numbers-and_number-plates-inf104.pdf
BUT Tesla are not a traditional car manufacturer with traditional dealers. There is nothing to stop them having only one official dealer and other delivery centers being satellites so that all cars would end up with geographic plates from one region.
It is probably not the case though.
So assuming the Heathrow centre is registered at that location (as it should be) then you would get a Wimbledon region plate which could be any one of: LA LB LC LD LE LF LG LH LJ
They do not just start with LA. They start with the least sellable ones first to give the most sellable ones maximum time to sell before they have to give them away for free. I am not sure which is the least sellable of the above prefixes but whichever it is if you buy in early September that is what you will get.

Reactions: AMC7
Birmingham, August delivery so I should narrowly miss the humour of a BJ69 plate. I may actually opt for a personalised plate for my M3 - do Tesla produce and fit those on request at the point of delivery? Never had one before so not entirely sure what the process is.

Birmingham, August delivery so I should narrowly miss the humour of a BJ69 plate. I may actually opt for a personalised plate for my M3 - do Tesla produce and fit those on request at the point of delivery? Never had one before so not entirely sure what the process is.
We asked Tesla about this, they won't register it and apply it to the car for you for delivery, but they will make up a set of plates for you so you can do the process to apply the reg to the new car, then once it's applied you can just swap the plates yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: dst87 and interbear
We asked Tesla about this, they won't register it and apply it to the car for you for delivery, but they will make up a set of plates for you so you can do the process to apply the reg to the new car, then once it's applied you can just swap the plates yourself.

Thanks - useful info. Would I be right in assuming then that once a delivery date is confirmed, I ask the Tesla service centre that’s handling the delivery to make up the plates?

Back in 2014, Heathrow (West Drayton as they called themselves, but it is the same building) were issuing ‘RJ’ prefix plates.

However, I think that’s because they had an admin office in Maidenhead and so came under Reading. Things may well have changed since.

My wife’s last car had a plate of BJ08

I doubt they’ll stop BJ69
You are probably right. Especially since, as someone pointed out, they are already selling them!
Having said that there are logical reasons to think that BJ69 might have been suppressed even if BJ08 was not.
If you are not sure what I mean let me know and I will draw you a diagram :)
Its kinda academic for those looking to pick up their cars in Birmingham in September, based on previous years there will likely be about 60,000 cars sold in the region before anyone gets issued a BJ prefix.
Cars sold in September are likely to get BX or BU