Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regarding buying winter tires, rims, & bluetooth TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I need some brand new winter tires and rims for my new 2022 Tesla Model 3. Are there any places you recommend in the GTA?

In terms of selecting winter tires, are most popular brands, like Michelin X Ice Snow and Bridgestone Blizzak WS 90, just as good and can't go wrong? I did typed them on Google to compare, and it seems like no one is superior than the other. In addition, it seems like people's recommendation on them is 50/50 on online forums. So I just wonder if it is pretty subjective, and I can't go wrong if I purchase a well-known brand ones like Michelin and Bridgeston.

For rims, does it matter as long as I purchase the alloy ones with the tire store? Or there are a lot of knowledge behind choosing rims? I know tires worn out, but do rims worn out after a few years and need replaced as well?

Also, have you guys experienced not installing the TPMS? I heard it will show a warning on the screen, but can I still drive if I am fine with the warning? Or it won't let me drive, or it will constantly chime as a warning? I went to one tire store to quote so far, and they said I have to purchase the TPMS from Tesla (and bring them when I install my tires) because the 2022 model uses a bluetooth TPMS that they don't carry.

Thanks in advance! =]

I am the President of an official club partnered with Tesla.
We have 3-4 sponsors that do tires and wheels. KAL Tire, Wheelsco, Shift Electric Vehicles and EVolution Racing.
I highly recommend Nokians and Michelin X Ice a strong second. Just get good rims and you should be fine. One of the sponsors can answer your questions about TPMS.
Check out the club.
Feel free to email me at [email protected]
John

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I have a 2021 Model Y and use KalTire, and have for several different cars now -- always good service at fair prices. Even when I've moved and gone to different locations, my experience has always been good. My preference is for Nokian Haakapeliitta winter tires, and just changed over to my winter set a few days ago. I bought TPMS from a Tesla Service Center and had Kal Tire install them for me on my winter set.

Hello everyone,

I need some brand new winter tires and rims for my new 2022 Tesla Model 3. Are there any places you recommend in the GTA?

In terms of selecting winter tires, are most popular brands, like Michelin X Ice Snow and Bridgestone Blizzak WS 90, just as good and can't go wrong? I did typed them on Google to compare, and it seems like no one is superior than the other. In addition, it seems like people's recommendation on them is 50/50 on online forums. So I just wonder if it is pretty subjective, and I can't go wrong if I purchase a well-known brand ones like Michelin and Bridgeston.

For rims, does it matter as long as I purchase the alloy ones with the tire store? Or there are a lot of knowledge behind choosing rims? I know tires worn out, but do rims worn out after a few years and need replaced as well?

Also, have you guys experienced not installing the TPMS? I heard it will show a warning on the screen, but can I still drive if I am fine with the warning? Or it won't let me drive, or it will constantly chime as a warning? I went to one tire store to quote so far, and they said I have to purchase the TPMS from Tesla (and bring them when I install my tires) because the 2022 model uses a bluetooth TPMS that they don't carry.

Thanks in advance! =]
Why not a package from tesla?

I have the X-Ice Snow and they are fantastic. Blizzack are great too though. Not a lot between them really. Both are premium studless tires and a big step up from the budget brands.

Rims don't wear out. Get some that fit (if you have performance brakes there is a lot less clearance with the brake calipers just as a warning) and ones you think look good and you will be set. I have the Fast Wheels FC04 on my M3P and I like the way they look:
1666735629007.png

There are good, better, and best rims, with prices going up accordingly, but for a winter tire package don't worry too much about them. Just find some alloys you like. If you slide into a curb with a $700 forged aluminum rim that is going to hurt the wallet a lot!

You don't need TPMS sensors but the warning will get annoying. As others have mentioned many tire places don't have the new bluetooth sensors for Tesla so you have to get them from Tesla. They have them on the website for $130 each which has definitely gone up since I looked last!

You didn't say what you have for tires now. If you have the standard tires they will be 18" wheels, the optional ones are 19", and the Performance Model 3 comes with 20" wheels. Just know that you can (and arguably should) use 18" in the winter. They will be less expensive for both the wheels and tires in almost every case.

Reactions: TrevTremaine