Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen and Braking on Snow/Ice/Slick Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, modern cars do not slam on the ABS. I also have and an Audi and bmw 4WD that do not skid when I transfer my foot from the accelerator to the brakes. Swearing does nothing to help your point.

On the Audi and BMW you are coasting when switching between the accelerator and brake pedals.....

What some of us are trying to explain is that we don’t coast, we’re always feathering the accelerator anyway under what you could call normal conditions. To be honest I suppose we think snow and ice are normal conditions just different.

I have the option of reduced regen but have never used it. If you have snow and ice then you have cold also. It highly likely regen is already reduced because the battery is cold. So what is the point of having the option to reduce it?

I do understand the feel is different and it may take some adjusting too.

I wonder if the difference between my experience and others is the permanent magnet motors versus my car lacking that feature. Like I said - I saw the regen meter go all the way to coasting on it's own without any fancy footwork needed.

I'll also reiterate that I just bought new All Season tires at the end of January that felt very sure footed when the winter storms arrived. Are others having the issue driving on good tires that at least claim to have some grip in winter conditions/temperatures? I mean if you are running some high performance summer tires - that right there might be the issue.

What some of us are trying to explain is that we don’t coast, we’re always feathering the accelerator anyway under what you could call normal conditions. To be honest I suppose we think snow and ice are normal conditions just different.
I have the option of reduced regen but have never used it. If you have snow and ice then you have cold also. It highly likely regen is already reduced because the battery is cold. So what is the point of having the option to reduce it?

When driving in cold and snow the battery is warm and the regen will work in its full capacity unless you just started a trip with a cold battery. So while it is simple enough to just drive with one foot its safer to drive with one foot with the regen set to low.
I drive through the mountains and snow in California all the time and when its just a little crap on the road i don't bother but when I'm in a chain control area that's when i change it to low. I don't wear chains because i have AWD and i wear Pirelli sotozero snow tires. But chain control areas mean its not plowed or the road is just crap because its snowing too much to keep up with.
When the car is in normal regen in an area like this and you let off the throttle the regen is relatively strong and can cause a small skid if not being over cautious. In the same conditions in low regen its not as strong so you can still use one foot but since its a more gentle slowing of the car its much safer. and if you need to apply more brake after the regen is fully working its much easier and safer to apply the brake pedal.

Airborne Spoon, I hear you, but evidently, since Tesla has removed the option to set regen to low on all new cars, there must have been a change. My car does not experience what you describe and is anti skid in full regen setting. I also feel that if what you describe still exists, it would be dangerous for tesla to remove the low gen option on all their cars, which they have done.

Last edited:
On the Audi and BMW you are coasting when switching between the accelerator and brake pedals.....

I do understand the feel is different and it may take some adjusting too.
I do know the difference between the two systems. My battery was fully preheated so I had maximum regeneration. While others think the regenerative braking is similar to ABS, all four wheels locking up and being unable to steer contradicts that opinion. I cannot find anything concrete that definitively states that regenerative braking has some type of ABS feature. If anyone else does, please point me to it. Thanks,