Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen and Braking on Snow/Ice/Slick Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My post was a reaction to those that have said that regen should be set to low when driving on snowy and icy roads. This seems to me like defeating antilock braking on the same surfaces, and may not generally provide the best results in most circumstances. Yes, you can coast with one pedal driving thru pedal modulation, but it is the regen braking I was trying to address. Even letting off for full regen braking in snow is antilock and anti skid.

My post was a reaction to those that have said that regen should be set to low when driving on snowy and icy roads. This seems to me like defeating antilock braking on the same surfaces, and may not generally provide the best results in most circumstances. Yes, you can coast with one pedal driving thru pedal modulation, but it is the regen braking I was trying to address. Even letting off for full regen braking in snow is antilock and anti skid.
Those people have the ice car mentality of letting off the throttle = coasting. As murphys90d pointed out teslas one pedal driving is different in that you must not let off the throttle completely but rather feather it, it takes a minute to get used to it. I agree setting it to low doesn’t really do anything to help prevent skids, in my opinion.

I have noticed that both regen braking and normal braking are both anti-lock. I do not think it helps control the car in any way to turn regen on low for those cars that have this setting (pre-late 2020).

Are you saying that if the tires start to lock up while under regen braking, the car will lessen the amount of regen to allow the tires to regain traction like ABS does for mechanical brakes? If so, that's pretty neat.

Those people have the ice car mentality of letting off the throttle = coasting. As murphys90d pointed out teslas one pedal driving is different in that you must not let off the throttle completely but rather feather it, it takes a minute to get used to it. I agree setting it to low doesn’t really do anything to help prevent skids, in my opinion.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
Very well said!!!

I see it and hear it repeatedly about concerns how these cars drive on snow and ice especially the regen thing. If...... they are driven as an EV.... These cars are superior winter cars in my opinion. And I believe I have the winter shitty road driving miles to back up that statement.

I've never turned down my regen. Anyone blaming regen brakes or any braking for sliding doesn't know how to drive in the snow.

I will only take Model S in bad weather. It's literally driving a dream. Traction control is unbelievable and Michelin X ice3 are the best studless winter tire. Pairs great with Tesla drivetrain. Never once have I felt out of control in 5 winters.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Thanks for your input. I would like to hear from some others with only the RWD motor and note their experience. I have a RWD MS and although it's ok in the snow and slick roads I have not tested it so much and my experience is limited. I can recall a time where I lapsed and didn't 'feather' the accelerator optimally and the rear end began to slid out and I reduced that regen real fast haha

Reactions: DerbyDave
After driving on snow and later ice last week I did notice the same thing. Living in TX I don't normally drive on snow or ice so I figured there would be all kinds of issues based on what I read here. But reality was that regen reduced all on it's own down to nothing on icy surfaces (no fancy foot work needed).

I was able to confirm quite often that ABS was working too... lol...

BTW - the dual motor was fun in the snow/ice. Having put new tires on the car less than a month ago probably helped quite a bit too.

Following this discussion with interest. I’ve yet to drive my 2020 MS LR+ in any significant winter weather, but it’s only a matter of time.

In particular, I’m intrigued by the “Slip Mode” for getting started on ice. How big a deal is that, anyway?? I assume it’s the flip side of what you guys are talking about the regen imposing some amount of “ABS-like” anti-slip?

I drove my 2020 Model S in light snow this weekend. Twice while trying to move my foot from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal at around 35 mph my car started to slide off the road and was not responsive to steering. All four wheels were in a skid. Anyone that has driven in snowy conditions for over 50 years knows that you do not hit your brakes but rather feather them lightly to avoid skidding. Feathering the throttle "expertly" is not easily accomplished. There is no evidence of any type of ABS like feature controlling regenerative braking or I would not have been skidding. One should definitely be able to turn off or decrease the amount of regenerative braking at the driver's option. Why did Tesla remove this option?

I have a June 2020 build LR+. It has the option to reduce regen. Strange we are getting different results. Perhaps there was a regen anti controller added at some point that mine has, as they phased out the driver selectable option to reduce regen a few months later.

Just asking, how do you know it is anti skid? I had all four wheels lock up on a slick road surface. What year and model have you driven in icy roads? Thanks for the info.

What tires do you have? I've driven with 9 inches on the road and my S was freaking plowing the road. I've never lost traction in all 4. You can see the traction control in the IC as amber wavy parallel lines.

Modern cars with ABS, slam your god damn brakes. No feathering. ****ing slam the brakes.*
*Assumes you just want to minimize stopping distance. Turning the wheel, however little, introduces a bunch of other factors, this is about your comment about 4 wheels locking in a AWD dual motor Tesla model S.

Last edited:
I have a June 2020 build LR+. It has the option to reduce regen. Strange we are getting different results. Perhaps there was a regen anti controller added at some point that mine has, as they phased out the driver selectable option to reduce regen a few months later.
Thanks. Mine has no option to reduce regen. That was an option earlier but no longer seems to exist.

Reactions: DerbyDave
What tires do you have? I've driven with 9 inches on the road and my S was freaking plowing the road. I've never lost traction in all 4. You can see the traction control in the IC as amber wavy parallel lines.

Modern cars with ABS, slam your god damn brakes. No feathering. ****ing slam the brakes.*
*Assumes you just want to minimize stopping distance. Turning the wheel, however little, introduces a bunch of other factors, this is about your comment about 4 wheels locking in a AWD dual motor Tesla model S.
No, modern cars do not slam on the ABS. I also have and an Audi and bmw 4WD that do not skid when I transfer my foot from the accelerator to the brakes. Swearing does nothing to help your point.