Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking and Traffic Flow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you received instruction from dealer as to proper use of regen braking esp as it affects the flow of traffic i.e., easing off of power to avoid unnecessary brake lights and slowing down of traffic? I heard nothing from the dealer and found nothing in the manual (could be my mistake and it is there) but did learn from this forum to ease off of the power and allow the green/black power/regen bar to slowly return to black. Thinking about the impact this could have in the US and the world over so many cars unnecessarily braking behind Teslas, loss of efficiency, traffic build up, environmental costs, and potential rear-end accidents. A simple mention when the car is delivered could help. Thoughts?

I saw a youtuber discuss and demo the black green regen bar before purchase so not sure if would have noted without that exposure or when. The dealer helped me adjust my seat, mirrors and steering wheel and asked if I wanted anything else and then I drove home.

I suspect we all find the most efficient way of driving for ourselves and our road conditions kind of like how the stock markets and nature find efficient ways.

First, the brake lights do not come on every time you use regen, you have to be decelerating at or above a certain rate for them to come on. Once you get the hang of it you'll find it's second nature to apply the right amount of pressure to get true one pedal driving.

Secondly, I'd think that what you're describing is more of a personal driving style preference and not something someone from the delivery center would have gone over since they may have completely different styles. Personally, aside from trying not to decelerate too quickly, I've never really given any consideration to anything you mentioned. I drive to maximize my own economy/efficiency which, in general, also has the least impact on anyone around me as well.

How many of you received instruction from dealer as to proper use of regen braking esp as it affects the flow of traffic i.e., easing off of power to avoid unnecessary brake lights and slowing down of traffic? I heard nothing from the dealer and found nothing in the manual (could be my mistake and it is there) but did learn from this forum to ease off of the power and allow the green/black power/regen bar to slowly return to black. Thinking about the impact this could have in the US and the world over so many cars unnecessarily braking behind Teslas, loss of efficiency, traffic build up, environmental costs, and potential rear-end accidents. A simple mention when the car is delivered could help. Thoughts?
No, but they didn’t describe how to accelerate either.

I think you are over complicating this. Want to slow down a little? Let up on the gas peddle a little. Want to slow down a lot? Release the gas peddle. Not enough? Use the brake.

Have been driving my Model 3 now for five days. It took two to master one pedal driving. About 50 miles. I've been driving since 1970. Of all the crazy things I've seen in those 49 years the deceleration caused by regenerative braking is far from a social or environmental crisis. Should the delivery be more than, here is your car, sign these papers and here is a five minute tutorial on key card, phone pairing. ABSOLUTELY. That said, it sounds like you never did a test drive. I'm a bit surprised by that. I almost had one pedal driving mastered by then of my test drive. Enjoy learning your new car. It is the a great 21st century machine.

Thanks for all the replies. I did take a test drive. Learned about fart mode but not a word about this easily missed aspect of one pedal driving. :) Sure you learn it through experience but my post was prompted observing Teslas on the road with brake lights constantly lit and frustrated drivers behind them. Probably would not be too big an imposition for the dealer to mention to simply be aware that brake lights come on when in regen bc the great majority of buyers are coming from an ICE vehicle and this is a totally different driving experience.

They did not go over that, nor a lot of other things about driving the car. It took surprisingly little time before I move the regenerative breaking from low to normal and had no problems slowing down gradually instead of forcing people behind me to break. I LOVE our regenerative breaking. I hardly ever have to use the actual breaks.

First, Tesla does not have dealers, so that doesn't make sense.

Trust me, just because brake lights come on, doesn't mean the traffic behind you slows down. There are way too many people out there that do not understand that there is a position between foot on accelerator or foot on brake, coasting is not in their vocabulary. Many people get used to this and tend to always second guess brake lights.

Just drive the car though. Don't worry about it. If you take a look at the car on the screen, it will show you that the brakes don't come on for simple regen. The only big difference with regen is that you learn to modulate your speed with the accelerator, you don't coast by taking your foot off the accelerator, you slowly remove pressure with speed.

I had the same observation this morning. I happened to be following a Model 3 and watched him overtake a car. He signaled to move over in front of the car he passed and his brake lights flashed as he finished the lane change and he was about 1.5 car lengths away. If it was an ice vehicle I would have thought "why is this guy braking?". I try to be aware of people behind me and not do a full regen on the highway unless it's needed. Also 'sometimes' when I'm off the accelerator at highway speeds the brake lights don't come on until it slows down below a certain speed.

Sure you learn it through experience but my post was prompted observing Teslas on the road with brake lights constantly lit and frustrated drivers behind them.

I don't know where you live, but I have never observed this. Tesla brake lights seem to be on no more or less often than any other car.

Just accelerate/decelerate at the rates you would in any other car. If you do, the brake lights will come on no more often than they would in a car without regen.

Reactions: Zythryn
With an automatic transmission you pretty much have the brake lights turn on even if you're just gently slowing. If you rest your foot on the brake pedal it may activate the brake lights even if you're not braking. Tesla allows mild regen slowing without activating the brake lights. So I would expect less brake light activation from a Tesla than an automatic transmission ICE car. The foot rest problem would still exist.

With a manual transmission you can come close to regen braking by downshifting as you come to a stop. I used to do that all the time, hitting the brakes only at the end to come to a complete stop. Very similar to Tesla regen braking, but more work. And no brake lights at all, even though you might be slowing at a pretty decent clip. Tesla regen will activate the brake lights with heavy regen braking, which seems a little safer than no brake lights at all.

In the U.S. the predominance of automatic transmission cars might lead most people to expect brake lights to come on for mild braking. In countries with a predominance of standard transmission cars most people might expect no brake lights for mild braking. But the possibility of either exists just about anywhere, so I don't think drivers behind a Tesla will freak out any more than behind an ICE car.

Reactions: Runebane
...my post was prompted observing Teslas on the road with brake lights constantly lit and frustrated drivers behind them.
There are any number or explanations for this: it could simply be new Tesla owners getting accustomed to their cars, it could be just the way those drivers drive regardless of the car they are driving, there could be a valid reason they are braking such as the car in front of them.

Probably would not be too big an imposition for the dealer to mention to simply be aware that brake lights come on when in regen bc the great majority of buyers are coming from an ICE vehicle and this is a totally different driving experience.
Or, someone buying a new car, especially someone coming from an ICE, could read the owners manual where it is all explained ....

Reactions: Runebane
Check out page 54 in your Owner's Manual it explains this as well as how to change from standard to low regen breaking. The standard is more aggressive when you take your foot off the accelerator and will activate break lights more often than the low setting. Low is great for heavy slower traffic patterns such as around town driving and gives you more of a typical ICE car slowing when taking foot off the gas pedal.

Reactions: dsvick
Why would anyone expect someone to explain how much to accelerate or regen? That is a personal preference.

My wife followed me to a restaurant and I had her watch my brake lights. She said that every time that I slowed down a little quicker than normal, my brake lights came on. You can also see this on the car icon. Easier to see at night.

It's BRAKES people! ;)

Sorry, I just had to get that out...

I think that I may have inadvertently given someone a "brake check" a couple of days ago after moving in front of them. I was trying to quickly get out of the way of a faster driver in the #1 lane when I merged right and lifted completely off the accelerator pedal. Was doing about 75 and I don't know for sure if the brake lights went on but i had a momentary fear that i might have. Will have to do better in the future.