Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking - Clicking feeling and weak at times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried finding similar threads on this topic but unsure if what I read was the same as what I am experiencing.

Sometimes when I let off the accelerator I can feel a tactile click/pop coming from the pedal during regen braking. From what I read this appears to be the brakes activating. I just find it odd that it occurs randomly and I am unable to reproduce it at will. Occurs when the battery/car is both cold and warm.

I have also noticed, and likely in no correlation to the above, that at times regen braking is weaker than normal. This I can say for certain is not due to a cold or fully charged battery. For example, last night after about a 15 mile drive, I exited the highway and began slowing down to a traffic light. I gradually lifted off the accelerator and as I came close to the light, I lifted off almost entirely but the regen braking felt like it was barley engaging. I had to use the normal brake.

I was monitoring the screen to see if the regen icon appeared or if the regen bar was indicating that it was working, but as far as I know, the icon hasn't appeared.

Is this normal?

I know exactly what you are referring to with the click/pop during regen. What software version? Do you have the option to apply friction brakes when regen is limited activated? In my case I am on 2022.44.2 and have it activated. Only felt it two or three times, all in one drive. Haven’t had it happen since. I assumed it had to do with the friction brakes kicking in from limited regen and was just a bug since I haven’t felt it before.

I’m experiencing the same thing with 2022.44.2. I’m hearing something like a “chunk” sound at random times when backing off the accelerator, but I can’t reproduce at will. Also, the friction brakes don’t seem to be kicking in as much when regen braking is not at full strength.

I know exactly what you are referring to with the click/pop during regen. What software version? Do you have the option to apply friction brakes when regen is limited activated? In my case I am on 2022.44.2 and have it activated. Only felt it two or three times, all in one drive. Haven’t had it happen since. I assumed it had to do with the friction brakes kicking in from limited regen and was just a bug since I haven’t felt it before.
I'm on version 2022.40.100. It's a new car and I haven't been pushed an update yet.

As far as I can tell, regen isn't being limited.

It has always made some level of clicking when going into hold at a stop, which is normal. I assume this is just the same mechanism, but for some reason it’s a bit stronger of a clunk. Maybe when it’s cold out it’s just more noticeable.

I am on 2022.44.2 and the click is always audible and felt on the pedals when the brakes automatically engage during limited regen braking. Is this something an update can fix or should I get a service appointment?

BTW, when the mode is switched off, there is no clicking as the brakes does not automatically engage.

I am on 2022.44.2 and the click is always audible and felt on the pedals when the brakes automatically engage during limited regen braking. Is this something an update can fix or should I get a service appointment?

BTW, when the mode is switched off, there is no clicking as the brakes does not automatically engage.

It’s definitely possible that it could be fixed in an update. In my case it doesn’t happen most of the time and doesn’t seem like a safety issue, so I will definitely hold off on a service request unless it gets worse. Just a minor annoyance when it happens.

I thought I was going crazy. After coming home from a long road trip I thought I just got used to highway speeds and needed a few days to adjust to regular road driving. It just happens randomly. I would feel the car would accelerate while my foot is perfectly still on the pedal. My foot compensates by letting off the pedal a bit but then Regen braking kicks in and decelerates. Is this what you're going through?
Doesn't happen all the time, just frequently and randomly. Makes me feel as if I don't really have full control of the car.
This sounds different.

Interesting that all of you discussing a "weak" or erratic regen function live in areas that are experiencing early winter temps, hovering around freezing?

At highway speeds in colder/freezing weather, the regen system may be reducing regen, in a software-controlled attempt to prevent traction loss (if there were precipitation, which it can't sense?)

Villainthrpist : "For example, last night after about a 15 mile drive, I exited the highway and began slowing down..." If you were at highway speeds, in 32f or less temps, the system may be simply trying to protect you from too aggressive regen?

...random thinking out loud here...

Good thought. I can't speak for the others, but I've driven in colder weather in November (20 degrees then vs 35 degrees now) on releases prior to 2022.44.x and didn't experience the chunking noise issue or the reduced regen as the regular braking would take over seamlessly. For me, this is new behavior in 2022.44.x.

It very well could be an adjustment made in the software, but there's definitely a factor other than it's cold and/or the traction control reducing braking to prevent sliding (which I experienced earlier today). When it's traction control reducing the regen, I get the typical ICE car grinding if I apply the brake pedal. When it's the 2022.44.x issue, I can apply the brakes as normal.

I live in a warm climate and have also been experiencing erratic regen. In my case, on at least two occasions in warm conditions with no graphical representation of limited regen on the screen it definitely didn't act normal. In one case it was almost reduced to the point of seeming like the car was in Neutral rather than in Drive as I was coming up to a stop... also, hold mode did not engage after I braked to a stop manually. One other similar event happened a day later. These were both after I updated to 2022.44.2 I have not had either problem in several days now without having another update.

Keith

I'm also experiencing regen braking issues, but in my case, it seems like regen braking isn't working at all. For example, going 65 miles downhill after coming out of the Caldecott Tunnel, I lift of the accellerator and it seems as if there is no regen at all. It feels like the car is still accelerating or perhaps going into neutral, but definitely not slowing. I have to apply the brakes and sometimes firmly. I'm now on SW version 2022.44.25.1 but noticed this in prior releases.

I'm also experiencing regen braking issues, but in my case, it seems like regen braking isn't working at all. For example, going 65 miles downhill after coming out of the Caldecott Tunnel, I lift of the accellerator and it seems as if there is no regen at all. It feels like the car is still accelerating or perhaps going into neutral, but definitely not slowing. I have to apply the brakes and sometimes firmly. I'm now on SW version 2022.44.25.1 but noticed this in prior releases.
That is what happened with me (see post above). Luckily this has only happened twice right after an update and seems to have cured itself... but it was very unnerving when it happened! I wonder if it will come back next time I software update and then cure itself again?

Keith

Alright so I think I can reproduce this at will. If I accelerate to say 45-50 and then completely let off the accelerator, the car slows and regen feels normal.

However, if I put my foot back on the pedal, give it a bit more throttle and then let off, I feel a click/vibration in the pedal. So if I feather the pedal after a big/long initial regen brake, it gives these weird clicking/vibration feelings.

Again, it seems that the regen is still working. I am not getting any of the messages saying that regen is limited.

I just upgraded to 2022.44.30 from 2022.40.100

Same with ours. Wife found a work around by changing the settings in Touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Regenerative Braking

I forget which way she set it will have to check later but the sound went away...
That's funny you say that. I decided to turn off "Apply brake when regen braking is limited' and it seems to have stopped the feedback that I have been getting. I re-enabled the setting but was not able to reproduce after that. Strange. I'm going to continue to monitor.

I have a service appt set up next week so I'll see what they say. Need to also address some wind making it through the windshield seal.

That's funny you say that. I decided to turn off "Apply brake when regen braking is limited' and it seems to have stopped the feedback that I have been getting. I re-enabled the setting but was not able to reproduce after that. Strange. I'm going to continue to monitor.

I have a service appt set up next week so I'll see what they say. Need to also address some wind making it through the windshield seal.
Maybe it was due to the recent update and there's a bug or something. Have to disable and enable, maybe? We have not tried re-enabling it after.