Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking dramatically reduced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed-- definitely reduced. I was always aware of the lack of regeneration when the battery was full, but several weeks ago I left my house and was surprised to notice it was almost as if the battery was full but it was 50% or less. And it was not particularly cold.

Regen def. with recent updates (sometime in Sept) but something I was not aware of is that regen is not available if your vehicle is fully charged. Per Mobile tech.

I don't know what "def." means. You only have to think about it a little to see that it's not possible to provide full regen with at 100% charged battery. The final charge rate of the car as it approaches 100% is less than 6 kW. That is effectively no braking at all. They can't allow regen to charge the battery faster than allowed by any other means without damage to the battery.

Regen def. with recent updates (sometime in Sept) but something I was not aware of is that regen is not available if your vehicle is fully charged. Per Mobile tech.

That's weird because if you're driving it by definition it's not fully charged any more. Unless it's fully charged and you decide to roll it down a hill I guess and there's nowhere for the charge to go

Normally when I was able to drive almost completely with one pedal and only at stop lights would I have to add the brake when under 10 mph to come to a full stop, but lately after V10 my car's regen braking has gone to almost nothing until I get down to about 20 mph then it kicks in and I have to touch the brake again under 10 mph like normal.
Anyone else seeing this?
I switched the regen braking from normal to low and then back up with zero change.
I just read in another post about resetting the car after a new software update with the steering wheel. I will try this when I get back to the car.
I just miss my hard braking.
Mine is a 2019 Performance MX built in Aug 2019.
I agree. After using my X for a year I had it down to the millimeter when to use REGEN to brake completely to a stop. Now it's iffy...much lighter. I went into the dealer just this week to ask about it and they seemed at a loss to explain; it was a mystery to them (which is sad). It has nnothing to do w/ my charge or temp; simply much weaker. Would LOVE them to reapply old REGEN!

Compare to my 8-2019 M3 AWD 50.7 does my 08-2019 MX not a good job with one-pedal braking.
When battery is cold there is no one-pedal driving while in the same condition the one-pedal of my M3 works fine.
You realy have to focus on the lack of braking with one-pedal.

Today after a drive of 25mi still all orange warnings where showing. After selecting navigation to SUC after 5 mi all warnings where gone and one-pedal worked fine.
Temps are here 46F