Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking dramatically reduced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally when I was able to drive almost completely with one pedal and only at stop lights would I have to add the brake when under 10 mph to come to a full stop, but lately after V10 my car's regen braking has gone to almost nothing until I get down to about 20 mph then it kicks in and I have to touch the brake again under 10 mph like normal.
Anyone else seeing this?
I switched the regen braking from normal to low and then back up with zero change.
I just read in another post about resetting the car after a new software update with the steering wheel. I will try this when I get back to the car.
I just miss my hard braking.
Mine is a 2019 Performance MX built in Aug 2019.

Normally when I was able to drive almost completely with one pedal and only at stop lights would I have to add the brake when under 10 mph to come to a full stop, but lately after V10 my car's regen braking has gone to almost nothing until I get down to about 20 mph then it kicks in and I have to touch the brake again under 10 mph like normal.
Anyone else seeing this?
I switched the regen braking from normal to low and then back up with zero change.
I just read in another post about resetting the car after a new software update with the steering wheel. I will try this when I get back to the car.
Mine is a MS Long Range built around the same time. Regen will be limited if the batteries are cold. Interestingly though, I have noticed less regen since the latest update even when the ambient is in the high 50s or even >60F.

@TJ1978
1. Are you see dashes on the regen (bottom) half of the power meter when the regen is apparently weaker?
2. Double-check that your Regen setting is at Standard rather than Low. Also try toggling from Standard to Low and then back to Standard.

May also be that you are experiencing lower temperatures in Nebraska than before.

In cold weather a full battery will not be able to take additional charges from regeneration. This will show up on your display as orange dashed lines. As you battery gets warmer or gets a little empty, your regen should be back to normal..

@TJ1978
1. Are you see dashes on the regen (bottom) half of the power meter when the regen is apparently weaker?
2. Double-check that your Regen setting is at Standard rather than Low. Also try toggling from Standard to Low and then back to Standard.
I have also seen this since V10 update. I could not find any info in manual. I live in Illinois and nights are getting down to the 30's F.

Anyone else seeing this?
Same here (in the NL). Clearly reduced regen braking and the suggested ruggelings between standard and low had no effect. Any other suggestion?

Same here (in the NL). Clearly reduced regen braking and the suggested ruggelings between standard and low had no effect. Any other suggestion?
Same here (in the NL). Clearly reduced regen braking and the suggested tuggle between standard and low had no effect. Any other suggestion?

I have looked at the power meter regen and that was the first time since I got the car that the temp dipped below 70 degrees and now I understand why it was happening and what to look for next time.
Thanks Everyone!

I also thought the regen braking was severely reduced with a recent uodate, until it got really cold. Took MX out this a.m. at 27 degrees, no regen whatsoever. Had to use brakes all the time. Battery was at 60%. If this is normal for a cold battery, I can expect no regen braking for the next five months. Guess I'll need that brake job in the future after all.

I also thought the regen braking was severely reduced with a recent uodate, until it got really cold. Took MX out this a.m. at 27 degrees, no regen whatsoever. Had to use brakes all the time. Battery was at 60%. If this is normal for a cold battery, I can expect no regen braking for the next five months. Guess I'll need that brake job in the future after all.

Assuming you have shore power, preheat your car so the battery is warm before you leave in the morning. I use Stats app, and the newest firmware has controls for preheating the battery, too.

I agree that there is less regen after V10..No question in my mind , cold weather or not ..AND , I don't like it ..
One of the downsides to the "Update thing" is , You are at the mercy of the "God" Tesla ..
However , there are many upsides .
Three years of this , I ' m getting used to it .

Check your settings in Driving. Regen was changed in 2019.32. It now has 3 selections Creep, Roll and Hold. Creep is similar to the prior release, Hold appears to be the max Regen (make sure Regen is set to "Standard"). In HOLD the regen is strong and causes the vehicle to stop in a "HOLD" without depressing the brake. Experiment with the each of the three settings to determine which fits your needs. Note: Changes can only be made in PARK.

I have just the opposite experience.

I live in Florida, so not cold.

I feel like my X is stronger regen at all speeds now, but I have it in “hold”. Maybe in “roll” it would feel less, don’t know. Can’t compare, it’s been too long in “hold” and I’m never going back! ;-)

I have just the opposite experience.

I live in Florida, so not cold.

I feel like my X is stronger regen at all speeds now, but I have it in “hold”. Maybe in “roll” it would feel less, don’t know. Can’t compare, it’s been too long in “hold” and I’m never going back! ;-)

HOLD is the strongest. Try CREEP to compare for a day or so, ROLL seemed too light for me. Hard to judge in a few stops. Also I have a sloped driveway, so I need CREEP when backing into the garage.