Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking in cold weather.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pardon me, I must have made a mistake. I was under the impression that stopping is more important than going. My bad!

In most scenarios sure but not all. I'm just playing devils advocate to your consistency argument. If I expect the car to pull out in traffic like it usually does and it doesn't perhaps the car should always accelerate slowly so i know what i'm going to get every time.

Just wanted to make clear that the Model 3 doesn’t have a dedicated resistive battery heater. Sometimes it uses the motor(s) to generate heat which can be used to warm the battery, but this doesn’t happen during routine driving unless you’re navigating to a Supercharger. Most commonly it will happen when preheating the cabin.

And I believe, in theory, cars with heat pumps now have 3 avenues to generate heat for the battery vs just the motors although i'm not sure the heat pump would be able do generate that much additional compared to 7kW from the motors.

In most scenarios sure but not all. I'm just playing devils advocate to your consistency argument. If I expect the car to pull out in traffic like it usually does and it doesn't perhaps the car should always accelerate slowly so i know what i'm going to get every time.

I get the argument and there is actually some merit to it, and I've been a bit of a prick in this thread and I apologize for that. For those of us who've had manual cars, done higher-performance driving on the track and all of that, no it's really not a big deal to have regen be a bit weird for me.

But it's hard for people who come from a lifetime of appliance cars and suddenly have to deal with substantial paradigm shifts *and* inconsistent behavior on top of that, and if we want EVs to become the norm, that's gotta be dealt with.

Reactions: Lobstahz and SigNC
I get the argument and there is actually some merit to it, and I've been a bit of a prick in this thread and I apologize for that. For those of us who've had manual cars, done higher-performance driving on the track and all of that, no it's really not a big deal to have regen be a bit weird for me.

But it's hard for people who come from a lifetime of appliance cars and suddenly have to deal with substantial paradigm shifts *and* inconsistent behavior on top of that, and if we want EVs to become the norm, that's gotta be dealt with.

All good, i certainly get where you are coming from on the consistency thing but I'm also the guy that left his car in "roll" after one pedal driving came out because I didn't want the car braking to a stop for me that last 5mph.

I also wouldn't rule out changes in the regen-nerfing calculations over time as they continue to be refined to optimize battery longevity. I don't have hard data, but in my near 3 years of Model 3 ownership, I feel like there have been changes made to regen-nerfing in the direction of having less regen available. For example, first winter of ownership (Feb 2018) I never saw regen dots in mid-50 degree weather. Now I see dots regularly at those temps.

FWIW, my 100% range is still around 310, which is what my battery was rated for at the time of purchase. In the summer, that range sometimes increases to around 320.
What's regen-nerfing? That's a new term to me.

I'm a first time Tesla owner who just took delivery on the 12th so I can't speak to how things have changed over time. What I do know is that even if I'm navigating to a Supercharger in the cold I never see the regen dots below 50%. I also know that I've preheated the cabin on HI for close to 30 minutes and my regen dots are still close to 50% so it seems like neither really do anything for me. Is this normal, or should I be seeing more regen coming back? Maybe it's part of the 2021/heat pump? The temps have been between 25-45 degrees F.

I''m glad someone mentioned the fact you won't get any back around town, I went for a drive this morning with 0 regen and returned home with the same so I was concerned about that too, but it makes sense given whats been discussed here. Part of me is frustrated that I took delivery in the worst season for EVs but part of me is happy I'm learning in the worst conditions and that come summer it'll be nothing but gravy.

It does seem related to the heat pump or possibly the most recent software update. The limited regen does increase over longer drives but I was used to it getting to full regen for most of the drives I do. The car is using scheduled charging and preconditioning. It isn’t a big deal just something I noticed that was different from my 2018.

Uh oh. This thread is going off the rails like so many others with the brake/regen/coast/ICE comparison arguments.

Just wanted to make sure it was clear that, unlike the Model S/X, the 2018-2020 Model 3 doesn’t have a dedicated resistive battery heater. Sometimes it uses the motor(s) as a resistive heater to generate heat which can be used to warm the battery, but this doesn’t happen during routine driving unless you’re navigating to a Supercharger (and it doesn’t work very well at highway speeds in RWD vehicles anyway). Most commonly it will happen when preheating the cabin.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing where you came across this information?

It's also worth mentioning that if your battery sat overnight outside it can a lot of times be much cooler than the current outside temperature
you’re really licking boots today

I'm not sure what you are getting at but I appreciate you going through and down voting everything i said. If you finished reading the thread you'll see we came to an agreement like adults.

preheating the car with nobody in it, will also warm the battery via the motors.
Approximately how long does that take? And can you pre-program' a time for it to start, or you always have to turn in on at the moment on the phone app? Thx.

Seems no different than coasting on different slopes in an ice car to me.
Not at all man. With a transmission, you can alter engine braking with as many gears your transmission has... and it'd ALWAYS be the same, no matter the temperature, or how full your fuel tank is. Apparently, with a Tesla, you have many variables that can alter that engine braking amount, from basically none to a lot. And on 2021s it's not adjustable anymore. I guess it's better not to have the battery fully charged (maybe 90% max?), in order to remove that variable. But how cold it is might be out of your control, even if you preheat the battery pack at home, for what I've read. We have to learn to live with it, I guess.

I appreciate what you are saying but the variable is something you can account for and, it's a known. It's not like the engine variable changes on the fly rapidly. You get in the car, and it acts worst case like an automatic vehicle and as you drive it gets more aggressive SLOWLY. I understand it's a changing variable but it's not that big a deal.

IMO, the fact people are coming from ICE cars to "one pedal driving" is much more a factor than regen changing along the way.

I don't care about regen, other than I want it to be there if you really need it, like on a downhill :). My wife liked the 'low' regen on the test car, but I was fine with either one. I'm pretty good with throttle control, so the 1-pedal driving sounds better to me, since it saves the brakes. I hardly used them during the test drive. And could crawl at walking speeds in the 'regular' driving mode with absolute smoothness. Zero issues with the throttle on that car even in the aggressive regen. You just have to learn when you have it and when you don't. Not charging to 100% seems a good start, plus heating the batteries if cold outside. It should be good for something, I guess. We'll figure it out as time passes. No biggie :).

• Love
Reactions: SigNC