Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking in cold weather.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not about the option being removed in the 2021 models. I traded in a 2018 Model 3 AWD for a new 2021 Model 3 AWD and I noticed the regen breaking takes much longer to get to full strength than my old car. It also seems to be not as strong even as it warms up. I drove an hour back from the delivery yesterday and it was still very limited when I arrived home. Anybody else see this on their new model but not on their old model.

Reactions: INeedMoreBass
really depends more on how fast you are driving more so than how long you are driving. Driving at freeway speeds you will have more waste heat as the battery is using a lot more power but even then it's not a ton relative to the mass of the battery. Unless you are routing to a supercharger, just driving around town will take a very long time to warm up a battery. If you must have regen, just preheat the car some before you get in it.

really depends more on how fast you are driving more so than how long you are driving. Driving at freeway speeds you will have more waste heat as the battery is using a lot more power but even then it's not a ton relative to the mass of the battery. Unless you are routing to a supercharger, just driving around town will take a very long time to warm up a battery. If you must have regen, just preheat the car some before you get in it.

This was 80% highway at speeds from 55mph-80mph.

If your Model 3 has the new heat pump, then this is what I've experienced in my Model Y as well. From what I've seen, the heat pump does not warm up the battery anywhere near as well as the resistive heater in my old Model 3. I drove my Model Y to the Milwauakee SC and back yesterday and the regen dots seem to try to stay around the D in the P R N D display, which does not give much regen when it's cold.

My 2018 M3 AWD seems to have become more conservative with regen. I drove out to work in 20 degree weather, 90% highway incl some mountain driving, and when I arrived regen was still limited.

So hard to compare any two drives even on the same route when temperature, speed, snow, and Wyoming WIND vary so dramatically.

I noticed this as well: 2021 Model 3 LR AWD.

By preheat, you mean turn on climate via the phone app right?

I also wouldn't rule out changes in the regen-nerfing calculations over time as they continue to be refined to optimize battery longevity. I don't have hard data, but in my near 3 years of Model 3 ownership, I feel like there have been changes made to regen-nerfing in the direction of having less regen available. For example, first winter of ownership (Feb 2018) I never saw regen dots in mid-50 degree weather. Now I see dots regularly at those temps.

FWIW, my 100% range is still around 310, which is what my battery was rated for at the time of purchase. In the summer, that range sometimes increases to around 320.

The fact that they don't offer an option to have the car automatically apply enough friction braking to give consistent deceleration when the battery is full or cold is insane to me. It's a human factors nightmare to have major controls operate differently like this.

Seems no different than coasting on different slopes in an ice car to me.

then you don’t understand the issue.

the temperature or SOC of the battery should not impact what the car does when I lift off the throttle on the same road on different days.

I clearly understand the issue but as somebody pointed out it's no different than letting off the gas in a manual in a different gear or RPM. If you need to be coddled by your car so much that you can't calculate "oh i need to slow down faster than regen is doing" maybe that person shouldn't be driving. It's not that hard, you get in the car, you see how much regen is limited and you are then pretty much set to know how to drive and it gradually improves as you drive, as the car tells you when you get in.

I clearly understand the issue but as somebody pointed out it's no different than letting off the gas in a manual in a different gear or RPM. If you need to be coddled by your car so much that you can't calculate "oh i need to slow down faster than regen is doing" maybe that person shouldn't be driving. It's not that hard, you get in the car, you see how much regen is limited and you are then pretty much set to know how to drive and it gradually improves as you drive, as the car tells you when you get in.

Chapter 4 - Human Factors Design Guidelines for Advanced Traveler Information Systems (ATIS)and Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO), - FHWA-RD-98-057

General Human Factors Design Principles - Accendo Reliability

Consistency matters. It's a big part of why accidents occur, and why the entire human factors domain understands that things should do the same thing under varying conditions.

It's not about the day to day, it's about the pressure reaction.

But, thank F, I don't work in that field anymore and if you don't want that option, that's fine. It could be, as I said, an option, and you wouldn't have to use it.

Uh oh. This thread is going off the rails like so many others with the brake/regen/coast/ICE comparison arguments.

From what I've seen, the heat pump does not warm up the battery anywhere near as well as the resistive heater in my old Model 3.

Just wanted to make sure it was clear that, unlike the Model S/X, the 2018-2020 Model 3 doesn’t have a dedicated resistive battery heater. Sometimes it uses the motor(s) as a resistive heater to generate heat which can be used to warm the battery, but this doesn’t happen during routine driving unless you’re navigating to a Supercharger (and it doesn’t work very well at highway speeds in RWD vehicles anyway). Most commonly it will happen when preheating the cabin.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC and Stach