Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@RB88 what is in that post to disagree with?

On the heater.
Do you own a noncontact thermometer?
If you do I suggest you go out and from 60mph use the brakes hard, pull over and immediately measure rotor temps.
Now think about the amount of mass in the 4 rotors and that temp rise. You will be missing some as the rotors are open air and cooling even as you slow.
Now if you try to do that inside the pack are you going to have a resistive element of equal weight to the rotor set so it has a similar temp rise? Do you want to use a smaller element at much higher temps and then how is that rapid accumulation of heat spread across the in pack?
What are the implications of that constant thermal shock?

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
i work usual and certain days i go in at like 4am here in LA. since its been a little cooler ( in the mid 50s)
often i will see the regen will be reduced message. still i dont use my brakes because i just modulate the pedal more. since there are no cars out i just let off the pedal and the car is coasting but once it gets to like 30 and below you feel the regen kick in and the car slows like you expect.
i dont like using the brakes because i dont want to get brake dust on the wheels :p so easing off the pedal much earlier than you normally would when coming to a stop light or needing to turn, will allow you to still use regen and one pedal braking. ive become a master at it. :)
But don't fail to give them a good squeeze every day to keep those rotors from rusting!

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt