Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately no - it was first thing I noticed when I pulled away from my delivery. I went to switch it to "LOW" and there was no setting. I went inside to speak to a Tesla rep and he said you haven't been able to adjust regen since 2020.

Reactions: A2be
It's just like modulating your deceleration with the gas pedal on most cars. You don't have to let it pull you down fast, but leave your foot on the pedal and gradually pull it off as you slow. The difference is that you can release the pedal more as you slow, clear to a full stop, which you can't do without braking on a gas car. With regen you'll hardly ever use your brakes, and you'll probably never need a brake job. Just another thing where gas cars nickel and dime you to death while Tesla just keeps running circles around them.

It's just like modulating your deceleration with the gas pedal on most cars. You don't have to let it pull you down fast, but leave your foot on the pedal and gradually pull it off as you slow. The difference is that you can release the pedal more as you slow, clear to a full stop, which you can't do without braking on a gas car. With regen you'll hardly ever use your brakes, and you'll probably never need a brake job. Just another thing where gas cars nickel and dime you to death while Tesla just keeps running circles around them.
Not using your brakes will require more work than a simple brake pad job. Tons of people have had frozen pistons and slide pins because they don't use their brakes. I'm not sure I agree that using brakes is being "nickel and dimed"

• Disagree
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Not using your brakes will require more work than a simple brake pad job. Tons of people have had frozen pistons and slide pins because they don't use their brakes. I'm not sure I agree that using brakes is being "nickel and dimed"
The regen uses your brakes to come to a complete stop it just does it seamlessly once the regen has slowed the car as much as it can to about 5 or so mph at which point it automatically applies the friction brakes( at least in all newer teslas) ..so no one is completely avoiding using their brakes

I just watched a review on the Rivian R1T by out of spec reviews and they talked about charging that truck only to 70% bc anything higher and the battery won’t accept as much power through the regen. Does the same apply to Tesla, ie, if I know I’m not driving ore than 30 or 40 miles in a day would I get better efficiency to only charge to 70%? Thx

No.

There are two reasons to limit power flowing into a battery, 1) it's full and 2) it's cold.

1 doesn't really apply to a Tesla until the state-of-charge percentage is in the high 90's.

70 seems awfully low. That would suck for Rivian owners.

2 is a hassle for everybody.

For both cases. the ability to accept regen is not a all-or-nothing thing, it ramps up gradually as the limiting condition goes away.

Regardless of all this, the general rule is don't let regen dictate your charging strategy. It's not worth it (except in the rarest of scenarios). Just drive the car.

That actually should not be a problem. The ABS does not allow a wheel to slip, even if you jam on the brake, let alone just lift off the accelerator.

Well, "should" and "are" are very different things. Have you actually driven a refresh X in the snow or any other slippery surface? I have 2500 miles on my Plaid X and it's terrible. The option needs to be returned, period. It's a simple update.

PS - ABS doesn't activate below a certain speed - which makes driving downhill on a slippery surface going 3-4 mph with aggressive regen is an extremely trying experience modulating the pedal.