Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking reduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my recent post Christmas update (2021.44.30) I noticed that my ‘22 M3LR seems to have slightly less regen braking.

I notice the green bar not go as far, even when the battery is warm and there are no dots on the display. My usual places on my commutes have needed the addition of the brakes where prior to the update, I could easily coast to a stop. At first I thought it was placebo or I suddenly forgot how to drive the car lol.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Could be, we noticed about 3months ago our M3P had a lot less initial hit on the regen brake that seemed to ramp up. Its hard to say if it did as much overall but it certainly took a bit of getting use to once you were adjusted to how it was.

The software update seems to have eliminated the warning about reduced regen braking availability- I got a surprise today (battery temps below freezing) when there was no regen braking and no visible warning. Maybe they buried it somewhere else? I am missing the ‘cards’ section that used to live bottom left! Happy about the blind spot camera activation.
To OP’s question, once the car was warm, the regen hit felt as solid as ever.

@erik@live , I also don'T get the regen warning when I'm parked outside in the cold and I have zero regen. If I do a short drive and park somewhere, when I get back into the car and it has heated anough to get partial regen, I get the message then :p . So for me: no regen = no message. partial regen = message.

EDIT: I am also heavily annoyed by that cold weather driving tips message. I park in a garage so I typically don't get it when I leave home but I get it on every drive when the car was parked outside, so on every errand I run. You would think they would have some kind of a "dismiss forever" option somewhere.

Notice less regen braking after last year after all users complained that it was too harsh... =(
That's sad. :( I read Polestar made a similar change in a recent SW update to the P2. Whoever is complaining that lift-off regen is too strong...STOP! Stop ruining one pedal driving for us all!

I haven't noticed any change to regen in my October 2021 build M3P. I wish its normal mode regen was stronger but I've always wished that since my Model 3 test drives. This reminds me, it's time I setup some kind of data logging so I can actually check on this sort of thing with real numbers.

I wonder if they cranked regen down so more people could get FSD enabled. I found that 'normal' regen was enough to be considered hard braking and caused my safety score to go down. All was better when I turned regen to 'low'(which I know not everyone has the opportunity to do). As soon as I got FSD-approved, my regen got set right back to 'standard'.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
The software update seems to have eliminated the warning about reduced regen braking availability- I got a surprise today (battery temps below freezing) when there was no regen braking and no visible warning. Maybe they buried it somewhere else? I am missing the ‘cards’ section that used to live bottom left! Happy about the blind spot camera activation.
To OP’s question, once the car was warm, the regen hit felt as solid as ever.

I think I got the reduced regen braking warning a day or so ago, so I don't think it's been eliminated.

I really like how more and more of the newer EVs are using paddle shifters to let drivers select the desired regen braking strength.

In my recent post Christmas update (2021.44.30) I noticed that my ‘22 M3LR seems to have slightly less regen braking.

I notice the green bar not go as far, even when the battery is warm and there are no dots on the display. My usual places on my commutes have needed the addition of the brakes where prior to the update, I could easily coast to a stop. At first I thought it was placebo or I suddenly forgot how to drive the car lol.

My M3 '21 got a software upgrade yesterday. Today the temperature is -5 in NYC and the regen was not working at all. When I applied the brakes, it was taking a little too long to get to a full stop. It got scary- luckily there were no cars in front of me. After driving for a while, the regen started working. Not as strong as it used to be. I just wondered if this is because of the extreme cold, or it's just the way it will be from now on? I'm a little concerned about the regular brakes not making a full stop right away.

Reactions: Snowball316
My M3 '21 got a software upgrade yesterday. Today the temperature is -5 in NYC and the regen was not working at all. When I applied the brakes, it was taking a little too long to get to a full stop. It got scary- luckily there were no cars in front of me. After driving for a while, the regen started working. Not as strong as it used to be. I just wondered if this is because of the extreme cold, or it's just the way it will be from now on? I'm a little concerned about the regular brakes not making a full stop right away.
Yes extreme cold will reduce your regen capability. Some user report its better to use chill mode as well when extreme cold

Do you also charge to 100%? I heard from others that if you charge to 100% you wont get the full effects of regen braking.

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
In case it's useful, I'll mention that with the drivetrain fully warmed (driving for a while) I haven't felt any reduction in regen with the 2021.44.x software updates, not in regular driving mode nor in Track Mode 100% regen (stronger than regular mode). My M3P is an October 2021 build and I was only driving it regularly for a few weeks before the December updates hit, so my butt was probably not as calibrated as most of you when those updates rolled out.

I haven't driven my M3P in below-freezing weather yet. If the car is preheating the battery less or warming slower than before in freezing ambient temperatures, that might not be affecting my experience with the car.

I'm going to setup some form of data logging soon, but since I haven't yet I won't have any numbers from 2021.36.xx to compare with. This post has maximum regen numbers seen by another forum member, which could be handy as a reference if any of you can check what your car is reporting now. (Note that whole discussion basically assumes a fully warmed up drivetrain.)