Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking reduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would I drink my coffee and answer emails without AP??
It also disables navigation, getting text messages, automatic emergency braking, and puts the car in roll mode (no one pedal driving).

It also requires you to turn it on every single time you get in the car. It's very purposely designed to be annoying to use in any kind of daily use.

In my recent post Christmas update (2021.44.30) I noticed that my ‘22 M3LR seems to have slightly less regen braking.

I notice the green bar not go as far, even when the battery is warm and there are no dots on the display. My usual places on my commutes have needed the addition of the brakes where prior to the update, I could easily coast to a stop. At first I thought it was placebo or I suddenly forgot how to drive the car lol.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
I have a March 22 M3LR. A few months ago I started to notice reduced regen. I then damaged my rear bumper nudging something because the car did not stop as it should and used to. This is all the time, warm weather, low charge etc. Obviously set to hold!! Especially in car parks I lift of as I used to, it just keeps rolling for ages, until I have hit the brakes or an immobile object! We drove a new MYLR a few days ago, regen was full and as it should be, even at 94% charge, much stronger than my car. I have booked with service as a fault.

I have a March 22 M3LR. A few months ago I started to notice reduced regen. I then damaged my rear bumper nudging something because the car did not stop as it should and used to. This is all the time, warm weather, low charge etc. Obviously set to hold!! Especially in car parks I lift of as I used to, it just keeps rolling for ages, until I have hit the brakes or an immobile object! We drove a new MYLR a few days ago, regen was full and as it should be, even at 94% charge, much stronger than my car. I have booked with service as a fault.
Service tech visited......told me cannot compare MYLR to M3LR because different vehicles, different motors and battery etc What a crock!! He decided regen was normal before driving, then confirmed normal. So regen is reduced, having to use brakes more, don't know if this is software change but seems likely.

Reactions: sq.in.
Yep, I believe it's a software change that happened a few months ago. I also need to use my brakes more and I don't drive harder. I also know it's not from the recent colder days as it's been like this the whole summer. Since it's a software change, the car is within parameters and there's nothing the tech can do.
Figured as much, no idea why they would do this, it is now less predictable in town traffic. Thanks for confirming.

Yep, I believe it's a software change that happened a few months ago. I also need to use my brakes more and I don't drive harder. I also know it's not from the recent colder days as it's been like this the whole summer. Since it's a software change, the car is within parameters and there's nothing the tech can do.

its definitely weaker than before, and doesnt have anything to do with those who still have the ability to change it in normal firmware in the older model 3s (like mine).

Service tech visited......told me cannot compare MYLR to M3LR because different vehicles, different motors and battery etc What a crock!! He decided regen was normal before driving, then confirmed normal. So regen is reduced, having to use brakes more, don't know if this is software change but seems likely.

I dont know if I would say "what a crock" because its true that they are different vehicles and we cant really compare them for this feature. With that being said, its definitely SIGNIFICANTLY different between the two vehicles. My wife has a Model Y performance, and I have a model 3 performance, and if driven back to back when both cars have been sitting in the garage (and are at the same 70% charge level I keep them at when parked at home), its extremely noticeable.

I am not "up in arms" about it, but will admit to being disappointed. I dont use 1 pedal driving, but do use roll mode and like regular regen, not reduced regen.

/shrug...

When I bought my model 3 and accepted that they were going to push updates to it almost constantly, I mentally accepted that there were going to be times that they were going to do something I didnt like, as well. There have been a lot of changes I have been really happy with, features added, etc, and I am really (really) happy that, for the most part, people buying now dont have a bunch of features I am missing.

So, I am resigned to sometimes getting things I dont like as well, and this happens to be one of those things.

Have noticed regen is much weaker (especially at speeds below 20 mph) in recent months and regen bar never gets close to far left as it used to (in fact, I don't think it's reached the "D" point, even after 100 miles in 70 degree temps. Took to service and was told this was normal- they wouldn't even acknowledge it was a result of a software update.

I’ve noticed a change to the accelerator pedal as well on my 2018 M3LR which seems to coincide with when I started to see reduced regen around July/August this year.

Has anyone else experienced a change in the acceleration curve on Standard mode as well? I don’t get the immediate jolt like I used to when I put my foot to the floor, but rather a small ramp which makes it feel not as fast.