Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking reduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed a change to the accelerator pedal as well on my 2018 M3LR which seems to coincide with when I started to see reduced regen around July/August this year.

Has anyone else experienced a change in the acceleration curve on Standard mode as well? I don’t get the immediate jolt like I used to when I put my foot to the floor, but rather a small ramp which makes it feel not as fast.
I can't say for certain, but suspect you are correct.

Yes, it is "normal" as in "this is the normal behavior currently". The definition of normal can change with software updates, without the techs being informed even. They have more information than we do but we cannot expect them to know everything.
Is there any way to get this escalated to at least get a genuine answer, if not information on when it might be remedied? I mean, what’s the point of the line/dashes to the left of the “D” if they can’t be “filled”?

You get more regen at faster speeds. Try going at highway speed and suddenly let go of the accelerator -> ensuring there's no one behind you! I suspect the line will get full. That line is just a display that the car controls, it can show it full at whatever regen power it wants to. Anyway, filling or not filling a line on screen is certainly not cause to contact support.

If you contact service because you feel your car has less regen than before, they might run a test and then they'll say everything is normal. Obviously it is, it's in the current normal. With Tesla you don't have a suggestions box where you can say you would like more. I would certainly like way more regen but I can't ask for it.

Reactions: XPsionic
I am following up on this to update my experience. After more than 7 months, I still have not been able to get the energy bar graphic to get anywhere left of the "D" in the gear indicator. This is regardless of temperature, speed at which I take my foot off the accelerator, miles driven, whether I have charged at home or at a supercharger. Techs have told me it's not normal but ultimately, whether it is after the Service Center has my car for hours or days, I am told this is a normal change to some model 3s and to not worry about it. I am reaching back out to see if anyone else has had this change where the bar never fills with green when using regenerative braking. It's always dashes to the left (unless I have cruise control on, in which case it is black until I tap the brakes and the left side goes back to dashes that can't be turned green). Thanks in advance for any input.

I am following up on this to update my experience. After more than 7 months, I still have not been able to get the energy bar graphic to get anywhere left of the "D" in the gear indicator. This is regardless of temperature, speed at which I take my foot off the accelerator, miles driven, whether I have charged at home or at a supercharger. Techs have told me it's not normal but ultimately, whether it is after the Service Center has my car for hours or days, I am told this is a normal change to some model 3s and to not worry about it. I am reaching back out to see if anyone else has had this change where the bar never fills with green when using regenerative braking. It's always dashes to the left (unless I have cruise control on, in which case it is black until I tap the brakes and the left side goes back to dashes that can't be turned green). Thanks in advance for any input.
Is it possible to post a short clip? That way people can see the issue. Have you gone back to Tesla for a test drive to compare? You could video the demo screen and your own and send both to - [email protected]

Reactions: sq.in.
Just picked up a '23 Model Y and can confirm that the region curve has been changed via OTA sometime over the last year... The same exact regen feel persists on the newer cars and the displayed regeneration line also doesn't fill up the full chart as it used to previously on my '18 Model 3.

At this point though, I've gotten used to the new feel, and could't care less whether or not I'm able to go back to the old curve. From a physics standpoint, the regenerated power is proportional to the change in velocity, so I'm sure the car is recouping the same (or similar enough) amount of energy, so I'm not bothered by it anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: sq.in. and Scubadoo
Just picked up a '23 Model Y and can confirm that the region curve has been changed via OTA sometime over the last year... The same exact regen feel persists on the newer cars and the displayed regeneration line also doesn't fill up the full chart as it used to previously on my '18 Model 3.

At this point though, I've gotten used to the new feel, and could't care less whether or not I'm able to go back to the old curve. From a physics standpoint, the regenerated power is proportional to the change in velocity, so I'm sure the car is recouping the same (or similar enough) amount of energy, so I'm not bothered by it anymore.
If nothing else, it's kinda weird to have a full bar or chart if it's not possible to fill it. Why not just adjust the graphic?

Agree with others - the "regen curve" is not the same.

Even going from 75 MPH to 0 (at a freeway off ramp), my model 3 will not create the amount of electrical regen it did years ago. Max regen around town (on the consumption screen) has diminished at least 20%.

That said, my battery continues to indicate an implied 310 miles range (ie: 60% charge is showing 188 miles range / 80% is showing ~245) - so i don't think this has anything to do with individual battery packs.

Tesla must have either reduced it for the 'average ICE driver' or found that the higher regen had some type of negative impact. Too bad the small handfull of software designers at Tesla don't read this board - it would be interesting to know why this was done and why we can't select a higher regen.

Too bad the small handfull of software designers at Tesla
A quick search on LinkedIn will tell you there are over 1,000 software engineers at Tesla.

Also fascinating that you assume a SW engineer would know why a change like this was made. This is likely more from a safety, handling, reliability, battery management, or other more HW focused team.

Reactions: akveluru