Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking Temporarily Reduced - Every time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge to about 90%, but even after driving for 20miles, every time I get in my car, I get the "Regen Braking is Temporarily Reduced".

This shouldn't be the case when it's 60deg out and I'm at 90% or lower, right?
Anything I can do to fix this myself?

Reactions: KenYoung1
Your pack is cold and likely below 60. 90% is a very high SOC at 60 ambient and your pack is cold saturated. Also your car cant even except a full rate charge unless it is at 80 degrees plus. I have been on road trips with 80 degree temps and my pack has pre-heated for an SC session. When you slay lower than 90% how much and was the car just charged? If you just did an SC then the pack would be warm and regen would be slightly restricted still but not as it dropped unless it has been sitting over night.

Your pack is cold and likely below 60. 90% is a very high SOC at 60 ambient and your pack is cold saturated. Also your car cant even except a full rate charge unless it is at 80 degrees plus. I have been on road trips with 80 degree temps and my pack has pre-heated for an SC session. When you slay lower than 90% how much and was the car just charged? If you just did an SC then the pack would be warm and regen would be slightly restricted still but not as it dropped unless it has been sitting over night.

This is after my nightly L2 charge at home which occurs at plug-in the night before.

This is after my nightly L2 charge at home which occurs at plug-in the night before.

If the night temps get down under the mid 50s this can happen. If you can predict the time you need the car in the morning, you can pre-heat the cabin a 1/2 hour before and that will heat the battery. At least this works on my Model X.

Reactions: We Are Venom
If the night temps get down under the mid 50s this can happen. If you can predict the time you need the car in the morning, you can pre-heat the cabin a 1/2 hour before and that will heat the battery. At least this works on my Model X.

But, should it happen again after a 10min/5mi drive when it is up to 65deg?
If so, then this is even more conservative than my Chevy Bolt was. Hate to see how my regen will behave in the winter...

If so, then this is even more conservative than my Chevy Bolt was. Hate to see how my regen will behave in the winter...
It does happen with Tesla's. Even more so if you charge over 80% at night. And I live in the SF Bay Area where it does not get super cold.

I live in SoCal and was experiencing the same thing every morning. I was also charging to 90% and the regen would take about 10-15 miles to get back to normal. There are two solutions that you could try:

1. Charge to 80-85%. When you are at 90% on a cold battery to start your day, the regen isn't at an optimal state. I noticed by going to 85% I had slightly more regen braking in the morning.

2. Use the scheduling feature in the charging portion of the interface to tell your car when you normally leave for your commute. This schedule your charging to complete before your estimated departure time and it also warms the battery up to give you better regen. You still might have a couple of dots up top, but the braking was noticeably improved for me.

I've had 8 bubbles at 80% with Temps in the 60s. They have dropped to 5 and gone back to 8 when driving in to work.. It is very noticable and I don't really understand why regen isn't at full power when it is that warm. I'm wondering what it'll be like this winter.

Bubbles! Never noticed those before! Is there a table that shows # of bubbles vs. regen reduction % somewhere?

I've reduced the charge to 80%. With Covid, I have no regular commute these days, so gotta go with option 1.

I didn’t notice them at first either. They are located on the left/green section of that line up at the top of your display. The more dots/bubbles you see the less regen. I’d say once you only see 4 dots or so your regen will be more noticeable.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Bubbles! Never noticed those before! Is there a table that shows # of bubbles vs. regen reduction % somewhere?

I've reduced the charge to 80%. With Covid, I have no regular commute these days, so gotta go with option 1.

when you regen the green bar grows from middle to the left.

if half the space is regen bubbles, your regen green bar will stop halfway left.

watch the green bar when you stop. Usually there is a spike where it goes up pretty high, then it is much lower during the rest if the stop.

Reactions: HeyEph
With near 50% charge and for the past three days the Regenerative braking temporarily reduced message keeps popping up & then disappears multiple times on a single trip. The temps have been in the mid 40's Fº to the low 50's Fº.

So is this because of a cold battery also?

Here are the bubbles I saw Saturday. How did you figure the link between these and Regen Breaking?

image.jpeg

How did you figure the link between these and Regen Breaking?
Owner's manual.

That bar is the power meter. The left side indicates how much power is going into the battery (regen). The right side is discharge (acceleration). Dots on a side indicate a reduction in either regen or acceleration power. Regen limitation occurs with a cool or cold battery pack as well as a high state of charge. Acceleration limitation typically only occurs when the battery is at a low state of charge (<15-20%).

I thought it was simply due to the percentage....IIRC the charging screen used to have a level for "daily" and another for "trip". The "daily" used to be at 80% but now it is at 90%. So if you charge at 90%, I just think Regen is reduced until you hit 80%

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
The battery pack wants to be around 75+F and battery SoC below 80% before it gets back to normal brake regen.

Due to the large thermal mass, it'll take quite some time for the battery to warm up from just driving. I've been doing testing (pulling data from the car's CAN bus port) and even after driving 80 minutes/ 60 miles, the battery only went up 4F. Note, this is with pre-charging for 30 minutes.

Battery pack was 66F at the start of pre-charging, 80F after 30 minutes. Battery was 84F when I arrived at my destination 80 minutes later.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201031-093219.jpg
    Screenshot_20201031-093219.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 428
  • Screenshot_20201031-100026.jpg
    Screenshot_20201031-100026.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 372