Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking weakened?

M396

Dec 24, 2020
Toronto
Noticed my regen brake is much weaker than before. Usually I don’t need to use the brake on speed bumps or turns at moderate speed but I used the brake for majority of my trip...Anyone else experiencing this? A regen brake temporarily reduced message kept popping up. I haven’t driven my car in a couple of days and battery is at 70%.

Updated software to 2020.48.30

Reactions: SlimJim

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Noticed my regen brake is much weaker than before. Usually I don’t need to use the brake on speed bumps or turns at moderate speed but I used the brake for majority of my trip...Anyone else experiencing this? A regen brake temporarily reduced message kept popping up. I haven’t driven my car in a couple of days and battery is at 70%.

Is it cold where you live?

If so, there’s your answer.

Space_CowBoy

Nov 30, 2020
Montreal
I experienced the same thing this morning for the first time. The only difference I can observe is that I didn't have my car plugged in overnight. I actually had full REGEN available (no dots) when I noticed coming off the highway. No message either. It was weird since it's the first time I had to use brakes when coming to a stop sign after I took my exit.

Temperature here is -3C/26F and the car warmed up for 20mins prior to my departure. Not exactly sure what caused it today.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Is it cold where you live?....
In Toronto.....Florida?:eek::D:D:D

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 3.53.53 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
Temps below about 50f can begin to reduce regenerative braking.
The pack is heavy so it will lag temp wise vs ambient.
Also the heat pump equipped cars are being reported to over scavenge heat from the battery.

Nikomagirl

Mar 21, 2021
Reno

The regen braking on our car was one of my favorite features! I absolutely loved not having to brake and actually having to use the accelerator to go downhill. This keeps changing with almost every software update. It’s so annoying- and probably unsafe as I feel like I am getting into a different car after each update.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki

Shelburne

Mar 9, 2021
Shelburne Falls, MA
The regen braking on our car was one of my favorite features! I absolutely loved not having to brake and actually having to use the accelerator to go downhill. This keeps changing with almost every software update. It’s so annoying- and probably unsafe as I feel like I am getting into a different car after each update.
Your strength of your generative braking will vary depending on the ambient temperature and your car's state of charge. This is not a flaw in the car, it's a simple matter of battery physics. The only way around it is to re-condition the car's cabin and battery before going out on cold days. But even then, if your car's SOC is close to max capacity, you will see a temporary reduction in regeneration. Again, there is nothing wrong or unsafe with the car. You just need to be aware of this.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC