Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking weakened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed my regen brake is much weaker than before. Usually I don’t need to use the brake on speed bumps or turns at moderate speed but I used the brake for majority of my trip...Anyone else experiencing this? A regen brake temporarily reduced message kept popping up. I haven’t driven my car in a couple of days and battery is at 70%.

Updated software to 2020.48.30

Reactions: SlimJim
Noticed my regen brake is much weaker than before. Usually I don’t need to use the brake on speed bumps or turns at moderate speed but I used the brake for majority of my trip...Anyone else experiencing this? A regen brake temporarily reduced message kept popping up. I haven’t driven my car in a couple of days and battery is at 70%.

Is it cold where you live?

If so, there’s your answer.

I experienced the same thing this morning for the first time. The only difference I can observe is that I didn't have my car plugged in overnight. I actually had full REGEN available (no dots) when I noticed coming off the highway. No message either. It was weird since it's the first time I had to use brakes when coming to a stop sign after I took my exit.

Temperature here is -3C/26F and the car warmed up for 20mins prior to my departure. Not exactly sure what caused it today.

Is it cold where you live?....
In Toronto.....Florida?:eek::D:D:D

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 3.53.53 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt

The regen braking on our car was one of my favorite features! I absolutely loved not having to brake and actually having to use the accelerator to go downhill. This keeps changing with almost every software update. It’s so annoying- and probably unsafe as I feel like I am getting into a different car after each update.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
The regen braking on our car was one of my favorite features! I absolutely loved not having to brake and actually having to use the accelerator to go downhill. This keeps changing with almost every software update. It’s so annoying- and probably unsafe as I feel like I am getting into a different car after each update.
Your strength of your generative braking will vary depending on the ambient temperature and your car's state of charge. This is not a flaw in the car, it's a simple matter of battery physics. The only way around it is to re-condition the car's cabin and battery before going out on cold days. But even then, if your car's SOC is close to max capacity, you will see a temporary reduction in regeneration. Again, there is nothing wrong or unsafe with the car. You just need to be aware of this.