Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, I put on Pirelli winter tires and frightened myself to death. The day here is sunny and about 20 degrees Celsius and I took my foot off the accelerator expecting the regenerative braking to step in----I hardly use the brakes at all usually---and nothing happened. I had to use my brakes as in a gas car from then on. At slower speeds the regen would kick in and then stop working with the car seeming to then proceed as with no braking. It was all very odd. I have looked at the forum and my experience shows that this is not a cold weather effect. It sounds as if it's got something to do with the traction control system perhaps with the additional traction from the winter tires. This problem may be insoluble is snow and cold due to regen having a bad effect on traction control but our winter in the Pacific rim is pretty mild usually and snow is unusual.

Today, I put on Pirelli winter tires and frightened myself to death. The day here is sunny and about 20 degrees Celsius and I took my foot off the accelerator expecting the regenerative braking to step in----I hardly use the brakes at all usually---and nothing happened. I had to use my brakes as in a gas car from then on. At slower speeds the regen would kick in and then stop working with the car seeming to then proceed as with no braking. It was all very odd. I have looked at the forum and my experience shows that this is not a cold weather effect. It sounds as if it's got something to do with the traction control system perhaps with the additional traction from the winter tires. This problem may be insoluble is snow and cold due to regen having a bad effect on traction control but our winter in the Pacific rim is pretty mild usually and snow is unusual.

normal, after tire change the computer has to relearn the tractionprofile of the tires.

You might want to also get in the habit of looking for "regen dots." Check the manual for more information, but the short version is the more dots you see, the less regen braking you'll have.

I am on 2021.4.18.2 and notice after each software update my regen braking does not feel as strong as it used to?

Has anyone done a comparison/data sheet/graph of their experience with regen after each software update ?
In 50 degree weather the touchscreen tells me that the regen braking will be reduced until battery is warm. After driving a half hour, there is still no regen. I’m suspecting it’s been discontinued due to prospective buyer negative reactions. It has been one of the best features of the car, allowing for one pedal driving. I drive a 3 LR 2021.

@haverford59 Regen has not been discontinued. Tesla may have changed thresholds around for how much to allow based on battery temp, SoC etc - but regen is very much still a basic and essential feature of the car.

If you believe your car isn't using regen at all when it should, file a service request, maybe something is wrong with your car.

Reactions: WhiteWi
As a new owner I'm quite surprised by how sensitive the regen performance is to temp/SOC. I often have limited regen dots even at 80F and 90% SOC. Don't know if that's normal, strange, or one of the 2021 battery differences.
What dots?? I don’t see them; instead I’m always told that the regen has been reduced but will become more available as I drive the car. This, however, does not happen, regardless of temp.

2022.4.5 Regen braking is 100% reduced and I have been using normal brakes now. Not related to weather where I live is basically 70F all the time now.

The first thing I noticed about the car after the update was the sport steering also felt less stiff, I went into the menu to check and make sure the car was in sports mode.

2022.4.5 Regen braking is 100% reduced and I have been using normal brakes now. Not related to weather where I live is basically 70F all the time now.

The first thing I noticed about the car after the update was the sport steering also felt less stiff, I went into the menu to check and make sure the car was in sports mode.
I hope one day the rate of updates slows, and that people start developing tools to give us control over these things. Also when they tweak these things I wish they would be more transparent about it. Did they reduce it because some owners didn't like it? Or is it a battery health measure?

I'm also in nice socal weather but i'm not experiencing any reduction in regen.
Actually, yesterday I thought regen got a little stronger than what I was used to before 22.4.5

i typically charge to 80% before i head out in the morning.