Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are so many variables, the biggest one being your state of charge and battery temperature, that any sort of comparison like that would be meaningless. Its much more likely (for example) that you are noticing this difference because you do a software update, and the car sits overnight. You dont need to see snowflakes on the screen, to have less regen because of a cold battery (as one example).

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
As a new owner I'm quite surprised by how sensitive the regen performance is to temp/SOC. I often have limited regen dots even at 80F and 90% SOC. Don't know if that's normal, strange, or one of the 2021 battery differences.

I have a 2018 and will see regen dots when I first get in my car in the morning, even though right now my garage is around 80F and I charge to 90% all the time.

Hey guys....What exactly is regen braking? I mean, I feel the resistance when I let off of the go pedal, but what exactly occurs during regen braking?

Thanks

Here is a link to an explanation I found by googling:

edit: because its hard to see intent on the internet, let me just say that this post is not ment as an insult or anything. You asked what is regen braking, and I thought it would be more informational to link to a post on it than to try to explain it in a chopped up way or something.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Here is a link to an explanation I found by googling:

edit: because its hard to see intent on the internet, let me just say that this post is not ment as an insult or anything. You asked what is regen braking, and I thought it would be more informational to link to a post on it than to try to explain it in a chopped up way or something.
Thank you. I appreciate it. I googled it but of course endless results came up so I thought that asking my fellow Tesla friends here would give me a shorter clearcut explanation to our Tesla's and regen braking specifically as it relates to our cars. Of course......I get an "LOL" from someone who instead of helping thought it would be more beneficial to belittle me.

Thanks again jjrandorin for helping.

I am on 2021.4.18.2 and notice after each software update my regen braking does not feel as strong as it used to?

Has anyone done a comparison/data sheet/graph of their experience with regen after each software update ?

Yap I live in the tropics, so I can compare it quite well as we dont have to deal with battery warmup here.
There was an update last month or so which made regen a bit weaker.

I have only had my car since Saturday, but I could swear that the regen braking was much stronger when I first got it. If I take my foot completely off the pedal, I do get regen but the car seems to stop less 'crisply' and ends up in a slow roll before eventually going into hold mode. A few times I have had to resort to using the 'real brake' . So like the first poster here I am wondering whether something changed with a software update. I have noticed a couple already and am currently on 2021.3.106 (interestingly, I previously was on 2021.4.18.1 according to the change history...)

Reactions: Snowball316
I've noticed it's reduced at 90% sometimes but by 80 I feel like it's back to normal so long as the battery is warmed up. I'm sure it's to prevent overcharge of the batteries.. and what I mean by that is pushing the charge chemically closer to it's unhealthy soc between 90 and 100.