Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Breaking Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume many of you who have EV's also have regular ICE cars. Does your brain have any issue driving one and then the other back and forth? Do you ever get in the gas car and take your foot off thinking it will slow down more and get yourself into trouble? In high speed situations in which you need to make a quick decision has your brain ever gotten confused for a second?

I always drive my Volt in Low (high regen on lift off) and end up driving an ice car once every two months or so. If you have a big gap like that there's a little adjusting the first one or two times you come off the gas, but the muscle memory kicks back in after that. If you never had much experience driving an automatic ICE car in the first place it'd probably take a bit longer.

Driving the 3 then the ICE car in the family (it's a hybrid but essentially no regen w/o breaking) - feels like the ICE car is accelerating when you let off the pedal; it's not of course. Brain-train takes about a min when swapping cars; more challenging for me is the 'over abundance' of buttons and switches compared to the 3! :)

Reactions: boaterva
We are one EV one ICE family.
Never had a problem switching between the two.
Do I sometimes forget that the ICE doesn't regen - sure, but think about it for a moment. In the ICE I'm lifting off in plenty of time to allow a gradual regen slowdown. If I forget for a few seconds I've still got plenty of time to use the real brakes.
If its the other way around I just slow down a little sooner.
It really is a none issue and always a fail safe situation.

Once you start driving an EV it just makes you drive in a smoother, more relaxed way.

I have regen on Standard, and Creep off. Got used to it for 2 weeks before I drove an ICE vehicle again. As I was approaching an intersection to turn left I let off the accelerator and for a split second I panicked because the vehicle didn't slow down. I felt like I lost control. Then I realized that I had to use the brake to slow down on an ICE vehicle. I've had this happen a few times, but always just a fraction of a second and not enough to be dangerous.

One of the ICE vehicles I sometimes drive is a pickup with manual transmission, and I have no issues remembering how to drive it. It's all muscle memory.

As someone who bounces back and forth all the time, no, never been an issue. You've done this before as well. In any vehicle, when you take your foot off the gas, you slow down, some just slow more than others. It's like taking your foot off when going up hill vs down hill.