Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen cuts out on steep slow corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OxBrew

Sep 23, 2021
Spokane WA
The dirt road down to our cabin is pretty steep, with a sharp left corner in the steepest part, about 2/3 the way down the maybe 1/4 mile hill. We always arrive with about 60% SOC, and fully warmed up battery after the 80 mile drive.

We're always going about 5-8mph down the road, using regen only to hold the car back. When we get part way through the corner, the regen gives up entirely, every time, in the exact same place.

Car starts to coast like it's in neutral, we use the brakes for a second, when it slows back down the regen comes back, and is good to the bottom of the hill.

NBD, it's always slow and controllable, just a bit surprising the first time; we're just curious what's going on. I assume it's maybe hitting some max regen and has to give up for a second? Why is it OK after it comes back, maybe 5 seconds later, still on the steepest part of the hill? Kinda weird.

Maybe wheels detect some minor slipping and turns off Regen
This. Just like it does for ice and snow conditions where traction is limited to prevent loss of control (lateral sliding).

Likely, all the weight is in the front of the car and the rear end is light going downhill which is the motor that is used for regen. Experiences slip and cuts out.

Given its consistent nature, seems most plausible rather than battery getting to warm and unable to accept charge as it could on long slow descents with regen.

Reactions: OxBrew
yeah.. try off road assist.. maybe it uses more front motor for regen then??? also curiously my old S (and my scooter for that matter) do not regen below 7 mph... perhaps a function of the non earth magnets in those motors..so even if you use off road assist i believe maybe the front motor can't regen < 7 mph either since only the back motor has the permanent magnet afaik

Reactions: OxBrew
yeah.. try off road assist.. maybe it uses more front motor for regen then??? also curiously my old S (and my scooter for that matter) do not regen below 7 mph... perhaps a function of the non earth magnets in those motors..so even if you use off road assist i believe maybe the front motor can't regen < 7 mph either since only the back motor has the permanent magnet afaik
Very interesting, good to know. I'll try the off road and if that doesn't work, keeping the speed up a bit.