TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regen differences

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by napabill, May 14, 2016.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

Having driven my MS for 3.5 years, I've become quite effective at "one-pedal" driving. Especially in being able to predict, when turning off Cruise Control (CC), how far until I stop with Regen. Seems fairly similar to just lifting off the "go" pedal. I now have a Model X with version 2.17.95 and I find the application of Regen when disabling CC to be very gradual then ramping up. Very difficult to predict, so far. When I turn off CC, I want full regen. I can then modulate as I see fit.

2. loganintx

loganintx Member

How are you turning off TACC?

3. napabill

napabill Active Member

Just push stalk forward, as instructed. Turns it off, but Regen seems to be phased in, rather than just being applied.

4. loganintx

loganintx Member

I wasn't asking how to do it rather how you were doing it in this example. Have you tried tapping break to disable TACC and to see if the regeneration acts differently?

5. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

could it just be down to the extra weight of the X? Same size motors as the S but more weight so would that mean less region braking?

6. napabill

napabill Active Member

That was my original thought, but if you lift your foot off the go-pedal, the regen kicks in as I was used to in the S. Just when quitting TACC does it modulate activating regen.

7. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Interesting! I've been wanting this behavior ever since the my ActiveE days. I've always felt canceling cruise with the stalk should just coast, and regen should never kick in until one of the pedals is pressed. While it's not difficult, I don't like matching the accelerator with the current CC speed in order to cancel without full regen. This is one of the few things I like about ICE driving...coasting.

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Does TACC/Autopilot use regen to slow down (assuming that's sufficient), or does it always use the brakes?

9. X Fan

X Fan Member

Interesting discussion. Although I find the X to be a superior vehicle in most categories I found the S (drove an 85 loaner) to be much smoother when releasing the pedal.

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

My wife and I both noticed this regen difference when test driving an X and an S back to back at the Seattle event in late March.

11. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

This is a comment about regen in general, not just regen after TACC is turned off. I've noticed that my X regen slows the car down quicker than my old rear wheel drive only Model S. When going back and forth between the two, it seems that the Model S has weak regen. Anyone else notice this? Could the Model X be putting more than 60 kW into the batteries due to the two drivetrains? Or supplementing full regen with some braking power?

12. PeckerWood

PeckerWood Member

On my test drive of the X the sale guy demo another setting that seem to give a less effect of the regen.

13. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

@napabill : I documented this change in regen behavior when I went from the early Sig S to the new SP85D in January 2015; you could look up the video I posted. Now that I also have a Sig X P90D, I can say two things: the X takes even longer to ramp up to full regen braking after TACC is disabled than does the SP85D; and full regen on the X is significantly stronger than on the S. The difference takes a bit of getting used to, but I enjoy having the extra stopping power without resorting to friction braking.

In all the Teslas I've driven, lifting off the go pedal when TACC is not engaged gives you almost immediate access to full regen: the onset is much quicker.

• Informative x 1
  14. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Yes, there is a "Standard" and a "Low" setting for the regenerative braking.

This isn't what we're talking about here though as both the S and the X we drove were both set to "Standad". There are clear differences in the feel.

15. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I felt similar behavior between a 2013 MS and my MS. Regen seemed to be much more instant and direct in the older car, but the behavior has changed in the last few software updates, so who knows now. I still sometimes have moments where I want regen faster than it actually ramps up.

16. ernies

ernies Member

My thought was that if the car icon on the display flashes brake lights, then the brakes are supplementing the regenerative function. Does this make sense? If no lights, all regen, lights on, some braking.

17. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

So I think @napabill is talking specifically about regen releasing from TACC, while some participants are talking about the difference between S and X regen. On the latter topic, I notice the difference - the ramp is different. The X starts to regen slower but finishes much more aggressively. I attributed that to the dual motors in my X (along with weight) and the single motor in my S. @napabill has the same single motor in his S, so maybe it plays into his question, but I don't think so.

18. napabill

napabill Active Member

I have both an X and an S currently, and I was speaking of the difference between the two. However, I must admit I don't track the differences between FW releases as carefully as some. The X's regen, upon releasing TACC, is very gradua before ramping up. IMHO it takes control from the driver.

19. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

So from your experience, does this make it harder to control the car or is it something that just needs getting used to? I have never had a car with region braking but have test driven both a single and dual motor Model S (6 months apart) and didn't really notice a difference but that is probably just my inexperience.

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

As some are alluding to, I think it is important to note some of the different flavors of regen.

- Pre-AutoPilot Model S = turning off cruise gives the slightest pause (so you can reach to go pedal) before medium regen. Generally speaking, good regen, but could be more powerful.
    - AutoPilot Model S = turning off cruise gives a long ramp up before medium regen. Generally speaking, regen as good as pre-AP S.
    - any Model S = regen when not using cruise is generally good, can effectively stop a vehicle (assuming it's not limited by cold/full power) to 5 mph in short order, though highway speeds are safely reduced rather than a "panic style" stop.
    - Model X* = like AP S, long ramp up before high regen (stronger than any S) when turning off cruise. Without cruise, kicks in immediately like any Model S, but is a good bit stronger, like some with their Model S was.

* starred because my Model X experience is only one test drive, so mostly summarizing above posters.

• Informative x 1