Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen dots on SR+ never go away.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the car in September last year. Assumed it was a bit more susceptible to temperature than our LR model 3 because unless it is below 45% soc there are always regen dots. So I waited until warm weather and we’ve had summer temperatures for 4-5 days now. Charged it to 80% Friday night to see how it would do. All weekend it’s been hot. 80s. Regen dots don’t go away. Drove it down to 61% still dots. Got it below 45% and they’re gone. Car can sit over night and no dots at that level. The LR never does this. Does anyone else with the SR+ almost always have regen dots when your battery is neither cold or fully charged?

Do you not keep the car plugged in? That would help and the rising temps coming will help. I live in Vegas so that’s not an issue for me lately.

You can raise the battery temp by charging the battery before taking off.

Tried that. Doesn’t help.

If it's less than 50*F outside you're probably not going to get rid of the regen dots. If it's above 50*F I think charging for about an hour before departure would get rid of most of them, slide the charge bar from at least 15% if on a 240V. EV's prefer about a 80-90*F ambient temp so I've read and I'm not sure how often Ontario reaches that.

Are you just curious as if they do go away? Answer is yes. They don't hurt anything besides the ability to get "full" regen which depending on your SoC you won't be able to take advantage of anyways. I find I have to be below 70% to get full regen and sometimes that doesn't last long anyways. The two cars have the same batteries, the LR just has more and that extra thing upfront between the wheels... beyond that it's the same car.

I'd totally keep it plugged in if possible but since you have two EV's it sounds like you might only have the one spot to charge.

• Disagree
Reactions: badiban
If it's less than 50*F outside you're probably not going to get rid of the regen dots. If it's above 50*F I think charging for about an hour before departure would get rid of most of them, slide the charge bar from at least 15% if on a 240V. EV's prefer about a 80-90*F ambient temp so I've read and I'm not sure how often Ontario reaches that.

Are you just curious as if they do go away? Answer is yes. They don't hurt anything besides the ability to get "full" regen which depending on your SoC you won't be able to take advantage of anyways. I find I have to be below 70% to get full regen and sometimes that doesn't last long anyways. The two cars have the same batteries, the LR just has more and that extra thing upfront between the wheels... beyond that it's the same car.

I'd totally keep it plugged in if possible but since you have two EV's it sounds like you might only have the one spot to charge.
It’s been above 50f for a week. The car should not have them after being charged to 80%. Driving it right away down to 60% doesn’t get rid of them. I think I should be getting full regen. That’s why it bugs me.

It’s been above 50f for a week. The car should not have them after being charged to 80%. Driving it right away down to 60% doesn’t get rid of them. I think I should be getting full regen. That’s why it bugs me.

Unless you notice a difference in driving I wouldn't worry about it, wait until you get higher temps and see. If all else you can reach out to Tesla via the app or chat.

Picked up the car in September last year. Assumed it was a bit more susceptible to temperature than our LR model 3 because unless it is below 45% soc there are always regen dots. So I waited until warm weather and we’ve had summer temperatures for 4-5 days now. Charged it to 80% Friday night to see how it would do. All weekend it’s been hot. 80s. Regen dots don’t go away. Drove it down to 61% still dots. Got it below 45% and they’re gone. Car can sit over night and no dots at that level. The LR never does this. Does anyone else with the SR+ almost always have regen dots when your battery is neither cold or fully charged?

I live in a city called temecula ca (southern riverside county) and commute to oceanside CA every day.. southern california, temparate climate. My normal work commute is 38 miles each way to work. My car is parked at home in a drywalled garage with insulated garage doors. Its never below 50s even in the winter here in my garage, and certainly not below that now. My car is plugged in every time it hits my garage.

I have a model 3P.

When I commute to work, even right now on the few days I have to physically go in, vs work from home, the regen dots do not go away fro the first 25 ish miles of my commute, which is being driven at freeway speeds of 75-80 MPH because there is no traffic on the freeway right now.

TL ; DR ... the battery is colder than we think, or takes longer to warm up than people think, even in places with temperate climates.

I have a SR+, and I've actually never seen zero regen dots, ever. I have a theory about this. I think maybe the software is the same for SR+ and LR. Obviously with motors on both axles and the bigger battery, the LR is going to always have more max regen available... Hence why it seems the regen dots are always present because the max regen for a LR is unattainable in a SR+ for any given temperature/SOC.

My LR was a RWD.
I have a SR+, and I've actually never seen zero regen dots, ever. I have a theory about this. I think maybe the software is the same for SR+ and LR. Obviously with motors on both axles and the bigger battery, the LR is going to always have more max regen available... Hence why it seems the regen dots are always present because the max regen for a LR is unattainable in a SR+ for any given temperature/SOC.

smaller pack means the pack has to be hotter to be able to accept full regen at higher values. It's not uncommon for LR 3s to have regen at 80% so I'd expect a SR to have them at a much lower % fairly regularly.

Gonna chime in here, because I had the exact same issue. Own both the LR RWD and SR+. The SR+ always has regen dots until you get below about 50% or so, even when it's warm out. I thought it was a defect, but after reading/writing several posts about this last year, I believe most likely situation is that those who are posting telling you it's a temperature issue do not own an SR+, they own something else. When I get into my LR RWD, it never has dots through the summer unless it's like 95% SOC or higher. The SR+ will have a minor number of dots all the way down to less than 50% SOC. It's seemingly 'normal' for the SR+. Why is another question, but I don't think I've found someone who EXPLICITLY says they own an SR+ and has zero regen dots at 80% SOC. I think people assume the two cars are the same, but the different battery pack makes the car do weird things with regen.

Gonna chime in here, because I had the exact same issue. Own both the LR RWD and SR+. The SR+ always has regen dots until you get below about 50% or so, even when it's warm out. I thought it was a defect, but after reading/writing several posts about this last year, I believe most likely situation is that those who are posting telling you it's a temperature issue do not own an SR+, they own something else. When I get into my LR RWD, it never has dots through the summer unless it's like 95% SOC or higher. The SR+ will have a minor number of dots all the way down to less than 50% SOC. It's seemingly 'normal' for the SR+. Why is another question, but I don't think I've found someone who EXPLICITLY says they own an SR+ and has zero regen dots at 80% SOC. I think people assume the two cars are the same, but the different battery pack makes the car do weird things with regen.

I have a SR+ and the dots do go away. I live in Vegas tho. I’ll take a picture a bit later as an update but here’s what I’ve got this morning in my garage

Attachments

• 7159C352-3FD6-47E7-9F4D-2A33106D8781.jpeg
    7159C352-3FD6-47E7-9F4D-2A33106D8781.jpeg
    757.7 KB · Views: 112
  • E699E6C1-CCAD-46B9-975A-EE88762D3095.jpeg
    E699E6C1-CCAD-46B9-975A-EE88762D3095.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 93
It's not just temps that affect regen nerfing. High voltage/state-of-charge will do it too. Just like when you charge to 100 on a full trip, you get regen dots, and they don't go away until you drain the battery a bit. Charging a nearly full battery is very stressful to the battery. This is the same reason it takes so long to get those final miles in at the supercharger. Think of regen like supercharging.

With a smaller pack, Tesla needs to nerf regen much earlier because the charging pressure per cell is higher, which is likely why you're seeing dots at 80% SoC.

A combination of hot temps and high SoC is even more stressful on the battery. It's just the nature of the size of the battery and Tesla trying hard to maintain the usable life of the battery that you see the dots under a broad spectrum of scenarios on the SR batteries.

So to sum up:

hard charging (regen or supercharging) when temps are cold is stressful.
hard charging when SoC is high is stressful.
hard charging when SoC is high and temps are high is very stressful.