TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regen dots on SR+ never go away.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Darthbenji, May 24, 2020.

1. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

SR+ takes longer for them to go away because the battery is smaller, but the rear motor is still trying to force the same amount of electrons into the pack as a long-range. Therefore, the pack has to be warmer to accept full regen than a long-range car.

• Like x 5
  2. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

No regen dots at 79% on my SR+ as compared to my post on the 1st page

Attached Files:

3. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

Exactly.

4. kiNGng3

kiNGng3 Member

We have been warmer than Ontario all spring long so it's true. West coast is the best coast. I was in Toronto before the lockdown and it was still snowing!

I keep my car in the garage and plugged in just like Matsayz. It's been warmer here so when I drive, I'll have a few dots at 90% SoC and then after some driving, 5-10% most, if not all my regen dots are gone. On a day like today, rain and milder temperatures, it took much longer to have the regen dots go away. In the winter here, I'll almost always have regen dots.

So like everyone has said, it's a bunch of factors. Not everyone/car is under the same conditions. I can't speak to the effects on LR RWD/AWD cars, but I can say that the above is true for my situation.

5. Dante

Dante Member

It looks like you do have dots though... not many, but that's basically what my SR+ does; dots in the PRND area until it's around 50% SOC on warm days/months. Winter is a different story altogether.

6. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

In my 2nd picture I'm not showing any regen dots while at 79%. I'm just saying that you don't have to get down to a really low SoC to be rid of the dots.

Are you keeping the vehicle plugged in? It's a great way to keep the battery at the temp it wants while not in use instead of using power while disconnected. And yeah, you're in Canada... It's gonna reach 102*F tomorrow here in Vegas so if anything I'm having more fun trying to stay cool.

7. Beardley

Beardley Member

I took a peek this afternoon when I left work. No dots, and I was @ 73%. It was a hot day here, 91 for the high. Peak charge before leaving for work this morning was 83%. I did have dots to between the N and D when I left. I have the car programed for a 6am departure.

8. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Active Member

Same temperatures where I am. Charged to 80%. Had dots all day. Sometimes they flash to a solid line but come back.

9. Beardley

Beardley Member

Very interesting. When I left this morning (low was 69F) I had no dots before I drove at all. 83% soc.

10. noobla3

noobla3 Member

Visited family today 30 miles one way with about 3 hours parked in the sun and then headed back during a sunny 80-85 degrees temp day. Regen dots never went away up until I pulled into my garage and it was still there.

11. themc11

themc11 Member

All summer I had dots by the D and they only time it was dotless was under 50% so same issue as the post starter. I charge to 80% and have it set to finish charge before I leave. I VERY rarely see no dots even with well above 20C and driving for an hour.

12. Saturday

Saturday Member

Question, the dots only mean reduced regen but not performance right? The blue snowflake is when there's a reduction in performance among other things? And how much is the performance reduced under a blue snowflake in people's experience?

13. themc11

themc11 Member

Performance is fine just the regen issue. I have only had the snowflake once so far and did not notice any performance issues, I was driving back roads over 80km/h

• Like x 1