Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Hold Mode tuned for weight of X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had Model 3s for a year and once the regen hold mode came out it really enabled 1 pedal driving immediately. Now that we bought an X we have noticed that 1 pedal driving is harder to accomplish. Anyone else?

Clearly the X is much heavier so we have to adjust but... maybe there is a software tuning that could adjust it. Maybe not since the motors are about the same and the weight is so much more than the 3...

Thoughts?

I had a 3 and X seams fine. It tends to limit regen due to cool battery more often than the 3. But with Full Regen it feels fine to me. One Pedal Driving is fine. My 3 was an AWD stealth.

No its not just you - i noticed this as well. Traded in my 2019 3 LR for a 2019 MX. On hills it rolls back a few inches, and on flat roads it takes a few seconds to fully stop. On the 3 it never rolled back, and it stopped at the lights quicker. Not something I can't get used to, but I preferred how the M3 does it.

I went from a 3 to Raven X and X felt great. I never found it rolling back. Don’t recall going through any adjustment period, but maybe I did. But as someone pointed out you lost regen easier on the Raven X when it was cooler out. Not sure how different Refresh will be in that regard.

My lifetime on the X was 304 wh/mi for 26k miles. And that included Winter driving in NewEngland and maybe 1000 miles of towing.

No adjustments going to Model S Refresh. Getting 260 wh/mi lifetime with cool weather. I think my LR 3 was 240 wh/mi.

We have had Model 3s for a year and once the regen hold mode came out it really enabled 1 pedal driving immediately. Now that we bought an X we have noticed that 1 pedal driving is harder to accomplish. Anyone else?

Clearly the X is much heavier so we have to adjust but... maybe there is a software tuning that could adjust it. Maybe not since the motors are about the same and the weight is so much more than the 3...

Thoughts?
For HOLD mode to work (or even be offered in settings), you must have the version of the car with a permanent magnet front motor, allowing regen braking to operate all the way down to zero mph. This change happened sometime during 2019, the "Raven update." Early 2019's and before, technically do not have one pedal driving feature. It gets close, but at around 2 or 3 mph, the car coasts, and you must touch the brake to bring it to a complete stop. If you are on the brake to stop, Hill Hold takes over. If you let it roll to a stop, Hill Hold will not engage, and the vehicle may roll backwards if so "inclined."

No its not just you - i noticed this as well. Traded in my 2019 3 LR for a 2019 MX. On hills it rolls back a few inches, and on flat roads it takes a few seconds to fully stop. On the 3 it never rolled back, and it stopped at the lights quicker. Not something I can't get used to, but I preferred how the M3 does it.
When was it build? Is it a Raven?
I think the cut over was March / April in 2019. I had a Sept 2019 X.

I think the cut over was March / April in 2019.

Late April 2019. My wife has a 04/2019 Raven Performance X that came from Fremont with ventilated seats and Sonic Carbon Slipstream Wheels with 255/45/20 Michelin Tires in the front, instead of the 265/45/20 Continental Tires used on all other Model X's with 20 inch wheels.

I guess they were a remnant of the Pre-Raven era or maybe a Zero-Waste -since we have them here just put them in the vehicle- policy from Tesla... 😁

I was going to ask the same question. It seems the X does not work the same as the 3. If you stare at the green regen bar it appears to drop off as it starts to get slow much faster than a 3. I wonder if the X has to use the brakes to actually come to a stop and emulate one-pedal driving ala the 3.