Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen in cold weather -- any differences from S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rabar10

Model 3 >> Focus Electric
Dec 3, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Now that we have some Model 3 owners on the US East Coast and/or going on road-trips, and since they are also likely S or X owners, wondering if any differences have been seen in Regen behavior after the Model 3 has been cold-soaked, compared to S/X?

From research here, the S/X will have zero regen available when fully cold-soaked in very cold temps, and partial regen available for some time until the battery pack comes up to 8-12 degrees C (not sure what the precise reported temp is). Makes for a different driving experience, with more heavy use of the brake pedal needed than typical.

Is the same regen-gone-or-limited-when-cold behavior evident in the Model 3? Does it occur to the same extent as the S/X, and at the same temperatures?

Why I ask --

I'm wondering if Tesla's ability to use the Model 3 powertrain as the heat-source for battery heating (as opposed to a separate resistive battery heater) extends to regenerative braking. If they can tweak the algorithms properly, seems they could implement an intentionally-inefficient electric braking system for cold temps, which would dump waste heat into the motor/inverter, to be then carried to the battery pack.

If possible and implemented, this would have benefits in normalizing the regen response in cold weather -- so that customers aren't surprised when letting off the accelerator and expecting full regen, and the car just coasts/'surges' forward instead. As an EV owner now used to having regen "go away" when hitting a pothole for example, it's a very unsettling experience at first.

Even if fully implemented, the limits in thermal mass of the motor and inverter, and the ability to absorb heat from them and transfer it to the battery, would limit the total regen amount and total length of time that this would work (i.e. going down a long hill or mountain) -- but it would seem advantageous nonetheless...

Based on current owner responses, we can try to tease apart differences that are due to battery chemistry vs. 'other reasons'. Might have to wait until a TM-Spy or equivalent is available in the Model 3 to really know for sure.

Regen is still limited when cold. Regarding dumping waste heat directly into the battery, the problem with that is that the battery can only absorb heat at a certain speed. 10 kW of heat would be pretty extreme for a battery pack of this size, so I wouldn’t expect any significant improvements in how quickly the battery can warm up compared to a Model S or X with the 6 kW battery heater.

Reactions: rabar10
Regen is still limited when cold.
Good to know, have seen a few other reports stating as much.
Regarding dumping waste heat directly into the battery, the problem with that is that the battery can only absorb heat at a certain speed. 10 kW of heat would be pretty extreme for a battery pack of this size, so I wouldn’t expect any significant improvements in how quickly the battery can warm up compared to a Model S or X with the 6 kW battery heater.
Agreed that there’s a max power rate for battery heat absorption — my (probably false) hope is that there would be enough thermal mass and buffering in the motor/inverter and the coolant loop that those systems could absorb a high-power short-duration regen event and then transfer it to the battery at a lower effective level over a longer time.

But probably just wishful thinking on my part...