Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ReGen in cold weather is sloppy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY regen very very sloppy in cold weather even after pre heating the battery before the drive and driving for over 20+ miles in 20° F weather in Colorado.

Is this normal?

Any advice other than using brake pedal?

Last edited:
Can you define “sloppy”? As in consistently low regen power? Or when you lift off the throttle is regen power seems to increase/decrease as you’re coming to a stop?

And part of Colorado are you in? I’m in the Springs area and have a roughly 20mi commute, might be similar conditions to what you’re facing.

Can you define “sloppy”? As in consistently low regen power? Or when you lift off the throttle is regen power seems to increase/decrease as you’re coming to a stop?

And part of Colorado are you in? I’m in the Springs area and have a roughly 20mi commute, might be similar conditions to what you’re facing.

Almost very soft to no regen.
have to use brake pedal all the time.
I'm in Lone Tree.

The battery is a lot of mass that doesn't heat or cool quickly. Learn to adapt, preheating to get regen in daily driving is a big waste of power.

As said of conditions are slick regen is a negative. In my S I often have to manually set it to low in winter if I drive enough to warm the pack.

OP live in Lone Tree, CO, daily temps right now 25f-37f.

With these temps, regen shouldn't be working at all...unless I'm totally misunderstanding the system.
Works fine with pre-conditioning. Attached is an image of pre-conditioning in 26F temps (46F in my garage) . In 18 minutes, battery went from 52F to 69F, so 17F increase.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1609214743406.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609214743406.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 66
OK, so You’ve been seeing similar weather to us in the Springs. As long as you weren’t in the high country where it’s much colder.

My morning commute, I have pretty strong regen, seems to be limited by only 5-10%. This is with the car finishing charging and preconditioning in my garage. On my commute home, similar story to yours. Regen dots indicate it’s been reduced by 50% or more and I often need to use the brake pedal. These percentages are just guesses based on how far the dots reach towards the center of the power meter, I didn’t exactly count the number of dots.

I did precondition the car for 30-40 minutes for my commute home. This helped a lot, had only a few dots as I departed. Regen actually reduced a little as I drove and the car cooled back down. Since I wasn’t plugged in when I preconditioned, I felt it used more battery power than it was worth (to me).

On my commute home, similar story to yours. Regen dots indicate it’s been reduced by 50% or more and I often need to use the brake pedal. These percentages are just guesses based on how far the dots reach towards the center of the power meter, I didn’t exactly count the number of dots.
The dots on the screen aren't linear. Max brake regen is 78.4 kW. If the dots are in the middle, there's about 50 kW brake regen available. Visually, it looks worse because of how they scaled the UI.