Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen-ing to a stop without Creep activated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I opted to try driving without Creep setting on. I regen to slow down, but still have to brake in the last 2 seconds and then I'm about 25-30inches away (too close?), then press the brake harder to put it on Brake Hold, let go of brake pedal, then chill at the stoplight.

Is this how you are all driving? I can try regen down to 0mph, but I doubt the guy behind me will be happy with me taking so long to slow down. IMO I like to stop sooner and rest, rather than doing the infinite coasting.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I was just thinking this after turning off creep and getting used to using standard regen instead of low. Oh nice you took me from 50mph to 2mph and now you're going to go 2 mph for the next 15ft right into that bumper ahead of you... really. Just press the brake for me in the last 30" or whatever.

#FirstWorldProblems

I find out I use the friction brake harder than I typically do in those last few mph because I don't realize how close I am already and underestimate the amount of brake force needed. Maybe will have to learn to apply friction brake earlier. But ultimately overall this should be way less wear on friction brake than if you purely used friction brakes.

Is this how you are all driving? I can try regen down to 0mph, but I doubt the guy behind me will be happy with me taking so long to slow down. IMO I like to stop sooner and rest, rather than doing the infinite coasting.

Nope. I have been rather successful in coming to complete stops with no brakes, but then I'd don't care about the guy behind me, only the guy in front of me. And I also don't care about coming to a 'stop sooner' to rest. (Never used creep.)

Reactions: Krugerrand
I need to learn to give fewer ****s when driving then :D

Here’s the thing, what difference does it make if you get to the red light while red or as it turns green? Or if there are multiple cars stopped at a stop sign waiting to turn or go straight?

Getting there faster just to stop and wait your turn doesn’t get you or the guy behind you to your final destination any faster than if you coast and time your coast to the turn of the light or your turn in line.

So many people in a hurry to go nowhere. I coast the crap out of my 3 (and every ICE before it) and I can get it to come to a stop without braking a lot of the time. Not on downhills obviously.

So, yeah. Coast. If the guy behind you needs to accelerate all the way to the stop and then slam on his brakes move over and let him go around you. You don’t want someone like that behind you anyway.

Getting there faster just to stop and wait your turn doesn’t get you or the guy behind you to your final destination any faster than if you coast and time your coast to the turn of the light or your turn in line.

I do let the speed demons do as they wish. I do prefer to stop in a reasonable time/distance rather than a long coast because I would like to reach 0mph and stop, and take my mind off driving for a bit. If coasting, I'd have to pay attention to cars that decide to cut in front suddenly, etc, for a longer period of time.

Tesla initially set the final stopping up the total control of the driver. This also keeps the mechanical braking parts fully functional.

Not using the mechanical brakes over long periods of time could make them ineffective when needed most.

My i3 brakes to a total stop. Much prefer the Tesla system where not only does your car come to a complete stop, but also holds it place there until you wish to go.

Regen to a stop is physically not possible. Depending on the exact implementation there is some minimal speed under which the electronics and motor will consume more just do want to slow down, that could be generated by same motor turning with that slow speed.
It is possible to do 'power-braking' ie consume energy to make the motor want to turn slower/stall. All the kinetic and battery energy would turn into heat.
Hill-hold using just the motor consumes energy and produces heat.

I was thinking about this the other day. Break lights don’t come on under Regen, or do they? So wouldn’t the risk of getting rear ended greatly increase without break lights? I worry about this all winter in all my vehicles since I put on top quality winter tires.