Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Less Grabby?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed a subtle decrease on the stopping with regen. I got used to one peddle driving and I have a pretty good idea when I need to let go of the accelerator to get my SR+ to stop at the stop sign. Recently I have to use my breaks more often because it won't stop fast enough.

I haven't changed my regen settings.

Anyone else noticed this?

The regen had some heavy nerfs over the last year.
The first nerf was in... Dec 2019 where it got changed to be much weaker, the second change was made I think in July 2020 where regen is much more limited unless the battery is warm and usually already limited at any temperature at 86-87% rather than ... 94% i believe it was.

totally agree with you. i got model 3 in march and right around july i noticed a MAJOR change in regen, and after updating to 32.3 its even less.

speculation, but could it be that this was designed so you can get more efficient use of "Regen" at the expense of "engine braking"?

• Funny
Reactions: smatthew
Had my tires rotated yesterday by a friend. Rear brake pads are about half worn with just over 20k miles. They looked almost new when my LR had twice that.
Do you drive and brake hard? 20k should have very little usage of the pads, no?

Wait - Does regen "braking" actually use brakes? I thought it was pure motor braking, saving the pads and rotors.

Is my world a lie? Am I living a dream turned nightmare?!?!

No I don’t drive and break hard any more than would be typically necessary. Sudden amber lights or sudden slowing ahead. I have a direct reference from the LR RWD that I drove for 18 months. I didn’t change my driving style. The regen on the SR+ is less and almost never fully available as I have regen dots until a low soc. Regardless of temperatures.

So the other day I noticed I had lower regen, looked and saw that I had 4 low regen dots. Fine, but then I was like it's not that cold out and i'm not that fully charged... It was 75F outside and was 87% charged. The dots stayed around till I drove it a bit and the battery was down to about 81%. Didn't know what that was about.

The Model 3 battery doesn't like the cold. We've started getting under 20C (~70F) degrees at night and I immediately started seeing a few regen dots. Mornings like today around 10C (50F) the regen is cut in half (as per ScanMyTesla) although I don't see that many dots on screen (e.g. the graphic is not linear). Note that the battery will be colder than the outside temp in the morning as it got colder during the night...
I know regen gets limited if the battery has a high charge. I have not seen any regen reduction when my battery was up to 90%, provided it was warm enough.

If you have a place to plug into at night, Tesla's scheduled departure feature's great for heating up the battery in the mornings. Won't help when you're heading home, though hopefully it'll be sunny enough to keep the car a little warm.

I have a hard time with this statement too. I have been using ScanMyTesla for a year and, as far as I can tell, max regen has always been 85kW on my lr awd. No recent update has changed that. Now, getting max regen when it gets cold outside is something else. They might have changed the rules about temperatures for example... Even when i have no dots in the regen line, I sometimes have less than 85kW regen. That line doesn't tell the whole story, it's a bit fudged.

I have a hard time with this statement too. I have been using ScanMyTesla for a year and, as far as I can tell, max regen has always been 85kW on my lr awd. No recent update has changed that. Now, getting max regen when it gets cold outside is something else. They might have changed the rules about temperatures for example... Even when i have no dots in the regen line, I sometimes have less than 85kW regen. That line doesn't tell the whole story, it's a bit fudged.

Yep there's been no changes to regen, I'm 99.999999% sure of it. I even have learned over the 1.5 years where to come off the throttle at 30mph on side roads to time it PERFECTLY to stop at the Stop signs in my neighborhood (I find amusement where I can). Nothing has changed, for me at least.

My car doesn’t behave like this.
I think it's a glitch in the newest software. Sometimes it behaves normal and oth
Yep there's been no changes to regen, I'm 99.999999% sure of it. I even have learned over the 1.5 years where to come off the throttle at 30mph on side roads to time it PERFECTLY to stop at the Stop signs in my neighborhood (I find amusement where I can). Nothing has changed, for me at least.
I don't believe anything has changed to regen, scan my Tesla is showing full regen, however I do believe there is a glitch causing this. It isn't happening all the time, it is random.