TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regen limited due to cold today

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by cinergi, Nov 14, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet ... It was low 40's (F) today and when I got in my car, there was a yellow dotted line in the regen area indicating regen was limited. I was quite surprised, for two reasons (as compared to the Roadster). 1) It wasn't on/off and 2) it had to be a LOT colder outside for the Roadster to disable regen (I realize we're not comparing apples to apples here -- on/off vs. limited regen)

Regen slowly increased and was back to normal within 10-15 minutes (I missed when it went back to normal).

photo 2 (1).JPG

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow, I don't believe my Roadster has ever gone into limit mode unless it was sitting for hours well under freezing. I guess the algorithms are more conservative in the Model S. I wonder if this is just increased prudence or whether there is a battery chemistry difference?

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Yeah my Roadster would need to set at below-freezing temps for hours. The Model S sat in ~43F temps for 7 hours or so, mostly in the sun (after being parked in 65-70F temps overnight). Interior cabin temperature while it was parked those 7 hours while the sun was up was 65-70F.

4. Zextraterrestrial

The battery in the S is directly under vs the roadster in the 'middle' maybe that has a little difference wrt ambient temps?
    but more likely different control algorithms

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I was thinking along these lines. Also with that flat pack, the Model S battery has much more surface area per unit volume.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

So some enterprising person, perhaps SoftAuthor, needs to come up with an easily removable bottom insulation solution.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Somewhat OT, but would extreme cold affect the touchscreen?

8. jerry33

It will make it slower and perhaps dimmer.

9. William13

William13 Member

My car had the same regen limiter the last few days in the morning. I hadn't thought about it. It moderated over a few minutes. Then the line disappeared.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Or almost unusable...even the Prius screen in sub 20F is barely usable.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

11. Zextraterrestrial

just use some 3M crazy velcro on the edges and carpet tape for the center to mount a sheet of 10mm neoprene to the underside
    it might help some

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Was the car plugged in? If so, I would have thought that it would keep the battery at optimal temperature. Sounds like the 10 minutes of driving was needed to warm up the pack.

13. jerry33

I think it keeps the battery warm and cold enough to avoid degradation. I don't think it keeps it within, say, 10C. That would take a fair bit of energy to do.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I probably wouldn't want to pay for unneeded kWhs with the car plugged in for extended periods.

I believe Tesla is working on the ability to "schedule" drive times to pre-heat or pre-cool the car while still plugged in so that you don't waste battery power and range starting out very hot or cold. Perhaps in this scenario they'll optimize the battery temperature too.

15. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

It was not plugged in. The roadster would keep the pack heated when cold out and plugged in. It used a fair amount of power to do so. No idea what the model s does. I'm in a garage and no plug at work so I doubt I'll get the chance to find out.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'll be in the same boat (no place to plug in at work) when I get my car.

17. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

A newbie question, why is there a limiter when it is cold?

18. eledille

eledille TMS 85 owner :)

The chemistry changes when the battery is cold. The lithium tends to precipitate in metal form on one of the electrodes, I think. Anyway, the batteries will degrade rapidly if charged when very cold.

19. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

What, Toronto businesses don't have block heater plug ins for employees? Out here there are 110v plugs all over the place, since an ICE can have a hard time starting after sitting for 8 hours or so on a cold day. One reason Manitoba should be great for EV's; we're used to plugging in our cars all winter anyway!

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Keep in mind a full charge on lowly 110 takes about 65 hours. ;)
    Charging Model S | Tesla Motors