Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen limited warning while driving and battery not near full

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a few cases recently during normal driving where the battery was well below a full charge but the car gave a warning saying regen was temporarily limited and would return after I drove a bit. Today the error appeared while I was driving on the freeway at a constant speed and stayed on for about 10 min. Battery was about 70% at the time, I was traveling at least 65mph, the terrain was fairly level and the HVAC was on so there should have been plenty of load to offset any regen.

Has anyone else seen this?

Reactions: Lephturn
Yes, your battery was likely too cold for full regen (not an error message, an informational one). note that it can take a long time for a battery to warm up. I have driven 20-30 miles at 80MPH and still had regen dots, for example, when my battery was not full.
Thanks jjrandorin. I didn't think about battery temperature. Interesting though that the msg didn't appear until I was several miles into the trip....but perhaps driving in the heavy rain was cooling things down as I drove.

Reactions: Lephturn
Look at the bar at the top left of the screen. The left side is for regen, and the bar becomes green to indicate the amount of regen used. The right side is acceleration and becomes black as you use power for acceleration. Dots on each end indicate some level of limitation of capability.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks jjrandorin. I didn't think about battery temperature. Interesting though that the msg didn't appear until I was several miles into the trip....but perhaps driving in the heavy rain was cooling things down as I drove.
Not sure what model year your Model 3 is. If it has a heat pump I've found it can pull enough heat out of the battery to warm the cabin to trigger that message.

Even without a heat pump, I did not have the message when leaving home (-11C outside, -8C battery), with absolutely no regen. I got the message a bit later in the drive-thru at a restaurant, still no regen, the battery had gained a couple degrees. I'm not sure what the algorithm is for the message.