Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen loss after new tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just changed my tires to Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs from OEM tires. I’ve noticed a pretty large loss of regen power, especially when stopping from highway speeds. I would have thought with the better grip (replaced tires were near bald) the regen would be as good or better than before, but physics was not my strong suit in college. Any thoughts?
S85 RWD with 93k miles. SOC between 30-70%.

More grip means more friction between tires and road which means your car slows more without Regen. But tires don't make a big difference in Regen. Maybe barely noticeable.

I can't imagine tires having any noticeable effect on regen. I suppose tires are lossy both ways.... But if regen recaptured 10% of your energy, there would only be that 10% to start with, so effect of regen loss in tires would be small percentage of 10%. (just for example).

Reactions: croman
If you had a noticeable loss of Regen, and it was due solely to tires, you would see an even more noticeable increase in consumption and loss of range...

If you had someone else do the work, make sure they did not set regen to low...

The first winter for Model 3's saw a lot of complaints of regen loss when changing to snow tires. Apparently the traction control tuning had a hard time figuring out winter tires. It was later fixed by a software change I think. Do you know of other people using your specific tires successfully?

The first winter for Model 3's saw a lot of complaints of regen loss when changing to snow tires. Apparently the traction control tuning had a hard time figuring out winter tires. It was later fixed by a software change I think. Do you know of other people using your specific tires successfully?

Interesting. I know there’s at least one person on TMC who had these tires. I’ll try reaching out.