Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen... manual driving vs TACC.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I haven't seen anything about this here, so I will bring it up. When I am just driving around regen in the MY reacts exactly like it does in my Bolt in "L" (one pedal driving mode on the Bolt). When I let up on the accelerator I immediately get regen with the aggressiveness of the regen controlled by how much I have let up on the accelerator pedal... but if I am using TACC and bump up on the stalk to get out of cruise it slooooowly feeds in regen at first and then becomes "normal" regen after ramping up for a bit.

In the Bolt, when you come out of cruise the default is full regen, not a slow ramp into regen. The normal technique for coming off cruise control is to put your foot back onto the accelerator and then either hit the cancel button on the cruise or hit the "regen on demand" paddle and then let off of the accelerator as needed to get the desired amount of regen. Anyone do this with the MY? I think I will try it out and see if it gives me a smoother transition to regen than just bumping up on the stalk.

Keith

Yeah, I much prefer Tesla's approach where it slowly ramps in the regen when you exit TACC. I've learned to match the accelerator to speed pretty well in the Bolt, but still miss sometime. It's not like the jerk (change in acceleration) is huge, but still annoying. The smoother transition in the Tesla makes it easier to match up. I do sometimes press the accelerator to match the speed in the Tesla as well; it's just not as important.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Same here, we have a M3 and a Bolt (and an electric motorcycle that does exactly what the Bolt does when I cancel CC).

Both are valid approaches, but personally I like the regen ramping up. It doesn't take long but makes the transition between CC and manual driving much smoother. In the Bolt I always have to find the right accelerator position before I cancel CC if I want to avoid the jerk (and by that I do not mean the car in front of me lol)

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I still do it in the MY. Kind of muscle memory between the two vehicles, I guess. It is also similar to engine braking the previous manual ICE and to ICE motorcycles (chop the throttle vs roll off results in big suspension upset vs smooth transition).

To be honest, though, at first I really liked the "ramp up" in the Tesla's Regen braking, but I find I rather prefer the Bolt Regen braking curve more.

Similarly, I much prefer the Tesla "ramp up to TACC" set point when making 1mph adjustments. In the Bolt you could feel every "boost" for every 1mph button press for increasing CC speed, the MY is much smoother.